We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2009  (Read 28470 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Paeonia 2009
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »
Simon,

certainly looks like P. peregrina.  Hans can probably say more.  Wonderful to see a natural stand of the plants.  Will you be able to collect seed later in the year?  That would be very cool!  I have but one that will bloom today or tomorrow, which I grew from seed.  Hopefully it will come true.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »
yes -it is for shure P. peregrina -may be P. peregrina v. romanica

I'm a bit surprised for the growing situation ....it look like a open area - right ?

I have visit before many years two populations in south italy ( with the help of italian botanists ) .....this plants grows more in woods or on clearings - on one location was it mixed with P. mascula ....and I saw some hybrids !
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2009, 11:59:19 AM »
Jamie, we have every intention of going back to collect seed. There were so many flowers and so many developing pods, there that I am sure nature can spare us a few seeds.
Hans, there are 2 distinct populations: one growing in the beach woodland on the slopes of the escarpment, which has wider leaves and 10 petals; and one growing on the ridge of the excarpment in open grassland and scrub, these have narrower leaves and fuller petals. On the day we visited the heat was blistering, yet the Paeonies were in full flower in full sun with Thlaictrum aquilegifolium (a species we have only seen wild in shady woods in the past).
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Sinchets

« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2009, 07:26:52 PM »
Flowering today- Paeonia peregrina (originally from Kelways)
Simon

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »
love it - and so will the bees  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2009, 12:00:20 AM »
Lovely, Simon. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2009, 05:09:13 PM »
Here is a plant I bought as a seedling from Slack Top Nursery three years ago and flowering for the first time. The label says "Paeonia anomola?" Google tells me that this species is a little mixed up. Does anyone think it isn't P anomola?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2009, 05:44:20 PM »
It's very similar to P veitchii, I don't think I can tell the difference and I believe the taxonomists are also confused  ;D
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Sinchets

« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »
I agree with Diane, David. It looks like the P.veitchii I have had too. Pis I have seen of anomla have much more finally dissected leaves and redder flowers. I think the P.anomala I have coming on from seed will be P.veitchii too looking at their leaves.  :(
Simon

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »
This one is labelled Paeonia anomala and I think it came from Vera Peck.  Seems to have a lot of data, the collection site etc as was typical of Vera - everything but the collector's birth date and phone number - which I will pass along when I find my glasses in the garden. The flower is a bit redder than shown and the bud scales bluer.  Does it look right?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
Now I am confused. I can see the similarities between my plant and Diane's Paeonia veitchii in their leaf forms. I'm no good at taxonomic terms so I can't describe them properly but the only difference seems to be the colour (and that may well be down to differing light conditions or possibly growing conditions) with mine a much lighter green. The leaves on your plant John seem much wider and indeed solid (if you see what I mean!)

Found this on Google  http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=20043099334  which if I understand it correctly makes P. veitchii a subspecies of P. anomola
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2009, 10:02:52 PM »
From what I've read about the anomola-veitchii contingency is that anomola blooms a few weeks before veitchii, bears its flowers singly, while those of veitchii are normally in 2s and 3s and smaller.  Foliage is minimally finer for veitchii, but not a good indicator.  The carpels for anomola are glabrous, while for veitchii they are tormentose.

If these differences are correct, then the species should be easy to seperate from the carpels alone.

I have a plant in the garden that I purchased as veitchii, but it flowers before my anomola.  It does have multi-flowers per stem and the flowers are smaller than anomola and violet-purple.  The leaves are finer cut than my anomola.

My anomola has pinker flowers, held singly and much larger.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Sinchets

« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2009, 10:13:21 PM »
P.anomola looks very different here to the pics in 'Perennials' by Phillips and Rix. Could it be a mistake in naming that has been passed down with the plants?
Simon

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2009, 10:45:41 PM »
Maybe it's an anomaly David. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2009, 04:03:31 AM »
re: Paeonia anomala 

Having found my glasses I now can see the book and the faded original label from Vera:  Source: AC 11/96, C. Asia, to 18", crimson red, open birch forest, 3....

Obviously this is a hybrid.  I suspect the AC may be Alleyne Cook of North Vancouver as there is no Paeonia anomala seed on the 1995 or 1996 AGCBC seed exs.

It will be interesting to see the flower, foliage is pretty good.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal