We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone 2009  (Read 25254 times)

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
Re: Anemone 2009
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2009, 07:41:15 AM »
all this variations are simply stunning !
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »
I look forward to 'Explosion' appearing on Janis' list!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »
When the French version of Disneyland opened it was described by some people as a "cultural Chernobyl" - not a compliment. Anemone nemorosa 'Explosion' strikes me as an horticultural Chernobyl.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »
Gote, this is what 'Blue Eyes' should be like. It opens as an ordinary double white and then the blue gradually appears as the flower gets older. Also 'Bracteata Plena' (New Zealand form as I received it). I can send you some if you like.
That is very kind of you Annie - later perhaps. I have still to see what 'Blue Eyes' does this year. My Bracteata plena/monstrosa may look like this occasionally - on other occasions they look very differently. I think that there is a high degree of instability there but I have no idea why?
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2009, 03:45:39 AM »
My Bracteata plena/monstrosa may look like this occasionally - on other occasions they look very differently. I think that there is a high degree of instability there but I have no idea why?

The instability of some Anemone nemorosa cultivars illustrates that genetics is not a matter of simple Mendelian recessive-dominant genes. The famous Nobel laureate, Barbara McClintock, asked why some strains of corn (maize, Zea mays), bore cobs with kernels of different colors. Exploration of this question has over the last 50 years or so led to a deeper understanding of the mechanisms by which gene expression is regulated. Moreover, it has been recognized that heredity is not entirely a matter of the genes in chromosomes in cell nuclei. And lately I see articles referring to "epigenetic" factors being involved in controlling gene expression.

I don't have a sense of how thoroughly these issues have been worked out, whether the biologists have resolved most of the complexities or whether, on  the other hand, they have found more and more complexity that remains imperfectly understood.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
Also 'Bracteata Plena' (New Zealand form as I received it). I can send you some if you like.

I never heard of a New Zealand Form. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2009, 10:29:25 AM »
My Bracteata plena/monstrosa may look like this occasionally - on other occasions they look very differently. I think that there is a high degree of instability there but I have no idea why?
The instability of some Anemone nemorosa cultivars illustrates that genetics is not a matter of simple Mendelian recessive-dominant genes. The famous Nobel laureate, Barbara McClintock, asked why some strains of corn (maize, Zea mays), bore cobs with kernels of different colors. Exploration of this question has over the last 50 years or so led to a deeper understanding of the mechanisms by which gene expression is regulated. Moreover, it has been recognized that heredity is not entirely a matter of the genes in chromosomes in cell nuclei. And lately I see articles referring to "epigenetic" factors being involved in controlling gene expression.

I don't have a sense of how thoroughly these issues have been worked out, whether the biologists have resolved most of the complexities or whether, on  the other hand, they have found more and more complexity that remains imperfectly understood.
Rodger - the concept of epigenetics was devised by the British biologist C.H. Waddington (Organisers & Genes, 1940) in response to discoveries in genetics & developmental biology. Essentially it is an 'organismic' rather than a 'reductionist' view of heredity & development. His views never became mainstream & were further eclipsed with the advent of molecular biology with its rather simplistic view of living organisms. However, Waddington always had a small group of disciples & in recent years his views have been revived & extended. You might find it interesting to look at How The Leopard Changed Its Spots by Brian Goodwin (1994) a relatively accessible account.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

gote

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »
Perhaps I should post a picture to show what I mean.
ALL flowers in the picture are of the same plant meaning that they all started as the same rhizome that has now ramified. The frequency of the different forms varies from year to year.
That we get different colours on Corn seed is a different issue. The kernels are not entirely the same plants. They are the result of sexual reproduction so there is a genetic variation.
 Göte
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:15:08 AM by gote »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Gerry Webster

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2009, 12:11:31 PM »
Barbara McClintock's work on maize was not concerned with variation due to sexual reproduction but, as Rodger indicates, with variation due to the differential regulation of gene expression, a phenomenon which she effectively discovered.

gote

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2009, 01:58:20 PM »
Barbara McClintock's work on maize was not concerned with variation due to sexual reproduction but, as Rodger indicates, with variation due to the differential regulation of gene expression, a phenomenon which she effectively discovered.
This kind of variation seems to me to be the only reasonable explanation for the variations in the nemorosas - unless it is some kind of virus.
One observation may be that the variable ones seem to be deficient in sexual reproduction. On the other hand virescens 'Vestal' and "alba plena" do not vary.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »
Gote, my 'Bracteata Plena' does much the same thing.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

gote

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2009, 06:07:43 PM »
Gote, my 'Bracteata Plena' does much the same thing.
Thank you Annie
That is comforting Because then it cannot be my fault ;D ;D
It is still strange. I cannot think of any other genus that does this.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2009, 06:29:40 AM »
Three of double Anemone ranunculoides cv. and another yellow from Siberia - jeniseejensis
Janis

Dago.JPG
 Hiumaa.JPG
 Orjaku.JPG
 jeniseejensis.JPG
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:00:09 PM by Maggi Young »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2009, 06:34:07 AM »
A. nemorosa GREEN STRANGER is of same variability. Both pictures from same pot.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
Janis,

So what exactly is the difference between it and bracteata plena?  Looks the same to me, at least from those pics?

That first double yellow you posted is just such a perfect double, isn't it?  Perfect layers, with good solid petals.  Very, very nice.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal