We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone 2009  (Read 25313 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Anemone 2009
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »
one for thec woodland garden Anemone prattii. It is supposed to have a blue back to the petals but the three I have bought which I understand were raised from seed are all white.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »
Some more anemones in flower now.All from Greece.A couple are similar to ones I posted before.

I did not know where to put this last one but it is the first Ranunculus asiaticus in flower from Cyprus.It is a nice lime green
That's a beautiful collection Tony. Many thanks for sharing them with us.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 11:24:54 PM »
Just caught up with this thread and Tony what a marvellous collection of anemones you have .  8) :o
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 11:26:19 PM »
Thank you I have been growing them over many years.I find them simple but lovely flowers
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2009, 07:28:54 AM »
Few Anemones just now blooming in my greenhouse.
At first time blooms selection of A. nemoreosa maid by my Norway friend from wild material three years after Chernobil - another Chernobil child named by him 'Explosion' and as you can see can be quite variable with me.
Another trio is pictures of Central Asian Anemones. At first Anemone petiolulosa collected by me and two seedlings got from seeds which I baught from Jilek Seeds - Private Botanic garden (Czech Republic).
The yellow one came up from seeds labeled as A. tschernjajewii - looks as petiolulosa but different from mine. Hybrid? Variation?What is your opinion? A. tschernjajewii can hybridise with A. petiolulosa, I saw such in upper course of Varzob, Tadjikistan, but haven't picture and it is listed only in my notebook, without description and I really forgot how it looks (it was 30 years ago).
The seeds of white A. tschernjajewii were labeled as A. petiolulosa. But good plant.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2009, 07:36:24 AM »
Janis,

I rather like you 'Explosion', in all it's forms.  ;D  Quite fascinating seeing the differences.    That yellow hybrid Anemone reminds me so much of some of the Clematis species.  Thanks for posting them.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2009, 07:56:44 AM »
BIGRE !!
Impressive !
I've never seen such forms... Great janis
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »
In my experience some of the more odd forms of Anemone nemorosa are quite variable.

I have something that I have got from various sources under various names such as
'Monstrosa' and 'Bracteata Plena' It varies from stalk to stalk and from year to year. One year one of them had a rhizom (sic!) instead of a flower.

Another one is green fingers. The amount of fingers varies from year to year and from stalk to stalk.

I have 'Blue Eyes' only it has never had any blue in the eyes but rather a slight resemblance to 'monstrosa'.

I have brought in pink specimens from our forests and als received a named pink variety. They all usually become white most of the years.

All of these are older than Chernobyl.

I am short of time so I cannot show any pictures today.

Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »
Janis,

the 'Explosion' is just wonderfull.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 07:10:55 PM »
In my experience some of the more odd forms of Anemone nemorosa are quite variable. [snip]
I have 'Blue Eyes' only it has never had any blue in the eyes but rather a slight resemblance to 'monstrosa'.

Look at the reverse of 'Blue Eyes'; there should be blue right around the stem if it's actually Blue Eyes and not Monstrosa (aka Bracteata Plena).

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
Gote, this is what 'Blue Eyes' should be like. It opens as an ordinary double white and then the blue gradually appears as the flower gets older. Also 'Bracteata Plena' (New Zealand form as I received it). I can send you some if you like.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2009, 10:49:43 PM »
Last spring my 'Blue Eyes' had no blue either (the first flowers for me on a new plant) and I was disappointed but it gradually developed some to be very pretty.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2009, 06:04:19 AM »
Gote, this is what 'Blue Eyes' should be like. It opens as an ordinary double white and then the blue gradually appears as the flower gets older. Also 'Bracteata Plena' (New Zealand form as I received it). I can send you some if you like.

My BLUE EYES looks the same. Only fault of this variety is that flowers are too heavy and more looks down - as young lady blushing turn her blue eyes down, so the blue eye isn't so prominent. Bracteata Plena - looks just as my plants., but many stocks of Green Fingers, Phyllodic - this year forms only rosette of leaves instead of bloom. But I can judge at present by pot-grown plants only. Outside planted still didn't came up. Possibly planted a little too deep, as in forest they are blooming now on sunny roadsides.
Original picture of EXPLOSION, pictured in Norway is attached here. What a great difference! Stock is 100% true.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2009, 06:21:12 AM »
My Anemone nemorosa BRACTEATA PLENA this morning.
Janis

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2009, 06:48:57 AM »
I just love the bracteata plena.  I find the best thing about it is the fact that unlike the other single types it doesn't drop it's petals when the flowers finish, so it effectively "flowers" for much longer than the others.  It does brilliantly here for me in pots, so I grow it near my back steps so I can enjoy it as I walk by to the back yard.  I don't grow 'Blue Eyes', but have seen it in person.  The blue in the centre does stand out when it is fully coloured, doesn't it.  I hope the 'Explosion' makes it here to Aus at some point, as it is another unusual one, and anything unusual I do tend to collect.   ::) ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal