We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2009  (Read 35757 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Trillium 2009
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 10:52:25 PM »
The flowers are superb but almost a case of Who needs them? when the leaves are so outstandingly good.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 09:41:35 PM »
It is sometimes difficult to distinguish Trillium ovatum from T grandiflorum. If grown together T ovatum is already fading when T grandiflorum is fully open. Also, T. ovatum opens its flower before the leaves are fully unfolded.

1) Trillium ovatum
2) Trillium grandiflorum
3) Trillium grandiflorum roseum
4) Trillium cuneatum

Robin
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »
Robin,

Great pics!  Love that roseum!!

Ian,

That cherry blushed one is striking, but that red leaved one.  :o :o :o :o  I am almost speechless (almost!  ;)).  Breathtaking!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »
A few Trillium species in flower in the garden now.

Trillium chlorapetalum
T. chlorapetalum
T. albidum
T. cuneatum
T. sessile

I think the last two are correctly named, please let me know if not.

John Aipassa

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2009, 10:45:35 AM »
Two other Trilliums flowering in my garden now:

Trillium chloropetalum giganteum RBGE form
Trillium flexipes

Cheers,
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Hristo

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »
Fab trilliums all, the first flowers are opening here after all the trilliums were divided and moved to their final locations in autumn after two years in a congested holding bed.
T.kurabayashii
T.cernuum
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

John Aipassa

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »
Lovely cernuum you have Hristo.

I  only have cotyledons of cernuum at the moment and hope to have flowering ones within a couple of years.

Two more Trilliums of mine:
Trillium cuneatum
Trillium albidum

Best,
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Iris

• Iris Ney
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »
I post some Trillium pictures taken today and invite please anyone to put a name to the Red leaved form, cheers Ian the Christie kind.

I'd love to know for how many years this red leaved trillium does this wonderful colouration. It looks very striking!

When I was in North Carolina in 2007 I've seen darker purple-red leaved trilliums growing there and a botanist told me that the colouration comes when a bulb is partly eaten by a mouse or other animals. And last year I selected two very dark purple leaved Helleborus foetidus in the Provence; just for to find out, that they went completely green being here this year :(. But the colour of the plants I am talking was much darker and not as bright and nice as the leaves of the trillium on the photo! I just wonder wheather you observed similar things.

Curious greetings from Iris

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2009, 07:58:01 AM »
Hi, all, sorry for long delay and it looks like I have missed some super pictures so thanks for those. At last the red leaved trillium has opened its flowers and yes the leaves do go a shade of green with age but the red tinge lasts for several weeks and as you can see in the picture posted the clump looks great with all the differend shades. I am not sure if it is Tr, cuneatum and I note that all the pictures posted as Tr cuneatum have pointed petals, I know this species is variable and in the books it shows som with rounded petals any way here are the pictures, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2009, 08:50:38 AM »
great pictures everyone love that red foliage Ian
Melvyn you must have had your chlorapetalum as long as me

Here is a couple of mine at present

T chloropetalum

T rivale from AGS seed years ago
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:54:11 AM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
Ian,

Whatever it is, it's spectacular!! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

monocotman

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2009, 09:31:22 AM »
Hi there,
           it is so interesting to see how beautiful some of these selected garden forms are. I was wondering whether anybody thought that this form of T. albidum is out of the ordinary.
I have three mature plants but this one has by far the widest petals and makes quite an impact, even from a distance. It also has a nice scent.
I think the plant originally came from one of our nurseries north of the border - maybe Christies?
It was probably about five years ago. It has spent the last couple of years in a pot as I was moving house. The nice thing is that I have about thirty husky three year old selfed seedlings from the plant.
They exhibit a range of leaf mottling from almost none to a couple with more than the parent,
Regards,
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »
Beautifully broad petals.  They much much more of a statement than what I have as albidum, by a long way.  Good clean white too by the look of it, whereas mine is definitely not pure.  I'd certainly be keeping it if I were you.  It will be interesting to see how much of that petal broadness etc is passed on to the offspring.  Very nice.  :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2009, 10:52:58 AM »
Does anybody know the names of these Trilliums?
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Hristo

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »
Hi there,
First time of flowering, bought as seedling of T.erectum many years ago, looks like T.parviflorum or T.albidum. Either one works for me as I haven't got them!  :D :D
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal