We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2009  (Read 36269 times)

John Mitchell

• Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
Re: Trillium 2009
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »
A few Trillium flowering at Edinburgh in the woodland garden the wind and weather have not taken their toll on the flower thank goodness.

Trillium erectum 11
 Trillium grandiflorum forma flore pleno
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:18:40 AM by Maggi Young »
John Mitchell Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2009, 12:07:28 PM »
Wonderful grandiflorum clumps, Anthony.  Beautiful.

John, that flore plena is divine.  Had a small plant of that at one point, well the rhizome at least.  It never shot that year and died before it shot the following.  I was mortified (to put it mildly).  That clump of erectum is amazing!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

John Mitchell

« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »
Yes we have a good collection here they seem to like our not so warm summers. I will try and get out and photograph a few more if time permits.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2009, 12:44:27 PM »
I'm very interested to see the damaged leaftips on the Trillium erectums in the foreground, as a few of my trilliums have had a similar thing this year. I've been worried in case it is a virus disease. Anybody know what causes it?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

John Mitchell

« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2009, 01:12:53 PM »
I'm very interested to see the damaged leaftips on the Trillium erectums in the foreground, as a few of my trilliums have had a similar thing this year. I've been worried in case it is a virus disease. Anybody know what causes it?

Hi Ann i think this could be aphid damage which causes the leaves to distort or i hope it is i will need to go out and check now.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2009, 01:19:20 PM »
Once in a while we see these scorched tips when the shoot tips emerge in December and then get clipped by the intense cold of a long winter.  Such folly never seems to hurt the Trilliums.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2009, 10:30:55 AM »
Thanks, I have been hoping it was some sort of mechanical damage as they were just emerging, though some of those affected were in the greenhouse. No signs of beasties.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2009, 01:52:34 PM »
Once in a while we see these scorched tips when the shoot tips emerge in December and then get clipped by the intense cold of a long winter.  Such folly never seems to hurt the Trilliums.

johnw

I have the same experience - you can see it in one of my postings this year. It somtimes hits the early risers.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Hristo

« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »
This one was bought a good few years back as Trillium underwoodii, I would be grateful if anyone could confirm this as I am not certain it's correct.
Cheers
Hristo
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2009, 06:40:01 PM »
My ovatum flowered this year in spite of the cold winter, It started as very beautiful white and is today dark pink. Two days ago it was very beautifully pink but I did not have the camera with me.
The grandiflorums are in full flower now.
My  luteum has very beautiful leaves now. Unfortunately they fade when the flowers are out.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Rob

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
This one was bought a good few years back as Trillium underwoodii

My first thought on seeing the picture was Trillium recurvatum, but I don't know enough to tell them apart.
Midlands, United Kingdom

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2009, 09:13:34 PM »
A trillium season has started here.
Trillium sulcatum was the first to open its bud
in Moscow

Hristo

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2009, 09:53:17 PM »
Cheers Rob, googled recurvatum and at it looks correct as recurvatum in both leaf and flower.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
Hi all,

Trillium recurvatum and lancifolium are closely related and sometimes difficult to distinguish. Here are some pictures of them flowering at the moment:

1) T. recurvatum group
2) T recurvatum
3) T recurvatum shayi
4) T recurvatum shari's flame
5) T recurvatum/lancifolium ?
6) T lancifolium

Robin
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
There has been something very nasty happening to many Trilliums in New Zealand over the last couple of years, and it is, apparently a serious disease. I wondered about the leaf damage to the Edinburgh erectum, in comparison to ours. Unfortunately I have no pictures of ours at present but maybe one of our local lurkers could help here, either onto this thread or to me privately so I can post them. Whatever our problem is - and I believe it has been identified - it has caused major panic and distress among local growers. There are apparently at least a few remedies available.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal