We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Puzzles  (Read 159169 times)

vivienr

Re: Puzzles
« Reply #780 on: January 19, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »
It seems this garden is less well known than I thought! It is only open one afternoon a year (Scottish Gardens Scheme?) but people flock there, particularly fans of a BBC TV series ......

Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #781 on: January 19, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
Vivien, I never found the garden after much searching yesterday around Loch Lomond but had a whale of a time discovering and rediscovering places.  I thought it was the BBC TV series around 'You tak the high road...' but also was interested that 'Tin Tin' had connections there near Luss too.  The trouble with Scottish Gardens Scheme is that they don't show images of gardens so still in the dark like the Loch Ness Monster!
All very puzzling  ;D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #782 on: January 19, 2010, 10:51:05 AM »
Ardverikie House, not that I've ever seen the TV program...

Is the garden worth a visit?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:52:51 AM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

vivienr

« Reply #783 on: January 19, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
Ardverikie House

Well done, Stephen. Ardverikie House aka Glenbogle in the series 'Monarch of the Glen'. We just happened to be staying nearby on its open day.
The garden is quite small but in the most beautiful setting on Loch Laggan. It opens with another small garden on the other side of the loch which provides refreshments. Horticulturally, it is nothing special, but for fans of the programme (or anyone in the area at the time) it is a treat of an afternoon out - I was sooooo excited ;D

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #784 on: January 19, 2010, 12:17:01 PM »
Take your midgie repellent!  :o
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

angie

« Reply #785 on: January 19, 2010, 01:33:45 PM »
Never watched Monarch of the Glen, so that wouldn't have helped anyway. Still one to mark in the map.
I had a look in my book on Scotlands gardens and its not that far from Aberdeen, so will make a nice day out.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #786 on: January 19, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
Is "Monarch of the Glen" still on in the UK? We used to get it here but I think the last series was the one in which Lexie married whatsisname and we haven't had it for 3 or 4 years at least. Instead we get the most boring and wooden American garbage such as "Cold Case," 'Without a Trace" and "Criminal Minds." This last is exceptionally violent and unpleasant and I've boycotted the lot of them.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #787 on: January 19, 2010, 09:35:48 PM »
Darn that's the place I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name of the show.  I think we saw it driving west on the south side of Loch Ness, on the left.  What scenery!

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

vivienr

« Reply #788 on: January 19, 2010, 11:13:36 PM »
John, Loch Laggan is just south of Loch Ness, so you must have seen another Scottish Baronial style house - I think that style was very popular. Strangely enough, while Googling to check how to spell Ardverikie, I discovered that the man who built the house was Sir John William Ramsden who also owned most of Huddersfield including the plot of land that my house was built on.

Lesley, there were 7 series all together finishing in 2005. They have been rerun recently on ITV3 but are all out on DVD. I think the later series were not as popular as there were a lot of changes in cast members, but as my favourite cast member was the scenery, I didn't mind :)

If you Google 'Monarch of the Glen' you can find sites giving details of locations used in the programme and you can even rent a holiday cottage on the estate if you want!

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #789 on: January 20, 2010, 03:59:09 AM »
John, Loch Laggan is just south of Loch Ness, so you must have seen another Scottish Baronial style house - I think that style was very popular. Strangely enough, while Googling to check how to spell Ardverikie, I discovered that the man who built the house was Sir John William Ramsden who also owned most of Huddersfield including the plot of land that my house was built on.

Lesley, there were 7 series all together finishing in 2005. They have been rerun recently on ITV3 but are all out on DVD. I think the later series were not as popular as there were a lot of changes in cast members, but as my favourite cast member was the scenery, I didn't mind :)

If you Google 'Monarch of the Glen' you can find sites giving details of locations used in the programme and you can even rent a holiday cottage on the estate if you want!

Vivien - Sorry we were on the A86 coming from Perth - just checked the map, having turned west at Dalwhinnie.   Does that sound like the right area?

johnw
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:12:02 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

vivienr

« Reply #790 on: January 20, 2010, 09:05:30 AM »
we were on the A86 come from Perth and having turned west at Dalwhinnie.   Does that sound like the right area?

That's right, you'ld get a great view from that road of the house on the oppossite side of the loch with the hills behind it.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #791 on: January 21, 2010, 09:14:37 AM »
Easy to identify for some ... difficult for others ...
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #792 on: January 23, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »
Franz, where are you ... I expected you to respond very quickly?   ;)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #793 on: January 23, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
Hmm ...  Saxifraga bryoides or Gentiana (terguoulensis var) schleicheri.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:38:05 PM by tonyg »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #794 on: January 23, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal