We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Puzzles  (Read 155070 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Puzzles
« Reply #990 on: June 10, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »
Mmmmmm?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #991 on: June 10, 2010, 01:07:10 AM »
Better put things right, right away. The gentleman (I must have been thinner then) is Howard Pfeiffer (ie?) from the US of A, a charming man with some outrageously funny stories to tell. Wish I could remember them all. The event was "Alpines '81" also at Nottingham, so 29 years ago.

Ah yes April 1981, the month of the worst late frost here.  I thought that was Howard but hmm too obvious and how was aciph Lesley to fit in to the equation. What ever became of him, I haven't seen him in years?   He used to lead groups to Newfoundland every summer.

johnw  (dated now)
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #992 on: June 10, 2010, 06:25:15 AM »
I've wondered too, what happened to him or what he's now doing. Pat Seymour from Canada was another who's vanished so far as I know. Maybe Carlo B would know something of Howard. And there was Tom Stuart from NY. Where is he?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #993 on: June 10, 2010, 06:34:18 AM »
Sadly, dear Howard passed away a number of years ago ... he was the subject of many a conversation during our recent NARGS tour.  Anne Spiegel was especially fond of this lovely gentle humorous man.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #994 on: June 10, 2010, 06:39:25 AM »
The image must have been taken at a major conference Lesley?   You haven't changed one jot ... though Howard looks exactly as he did when I saw him lecture in the U.K.  ;)

Apologies to all ... I have only just espied your answer above, Lesley.  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:44:13 AM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #995 on: June 10, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
Drat! I got that wrong....... I thought the gentleman ( never having met him!) was Jim le Compte, hence the aciphylla "clue" ..... the juniper was J. recurva coxii !!

So much for my joke.... failed again!  :P

Must say that Mr Pfeiffer has the look of the very best sort of cheery person, bless him.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #996 on: June 10, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
I've wondered too, what happened to him or what he's now doing. Pat Seymour from Canada was another who's vanished so far as I know. Maybe Carlo B would know something of Howard. And there was Tom Stuart from NY. Where is he?

Lesley

Patrick was a good friend.  Sadly he passed away last year after a couple of difficult years with his health.  He grew remarkable plants at the Devonian Gardens in Edmonton and had a great sense of humour.  Primulas were a special passion.

Sorry to hear about Howard.

johnw
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:44:45 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #997 on: June 10, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »
Drat! I got that wrong....... I thought the gentleman ( never having met him!) was Jim le Compte, hence the aciphylla "clue" ..... the juniper was J. recurva coxii !!

Some other coxii plants:
http://www.ipni.org/ipni/advPlantNameSearch.do;jsessionid=903469A993F795753BEE180BE5BA61BB?find_family=&find_genus=*&find_species=coxii&find_infrafamily=&find_infragenus=&find_infraspecies=&find_authorAbbrev=&find_includePublicationAuthors=on&find_includePublicationAuthors=off&find_includeBasionymAuthors=on&find_includeBasionymAuthors=off&find_publicationTitle=&find_isAPNIRecord=on&find_isAPNIRecord=false&find_isGCIRecord=on&find_isGCIRecord=false&find_isIKRecord=on&find_isIKRecord=false&find_rankToReturn=all&output_format=normal&find_sortByFamily=on&find_sortByFamily=off&query_type=by_query&back_page=plantsearch

Not sure if Acaena  coxii Phil. is still a valid name as it was described in the mid 1800s.  So my vote for best plant to represent Lesley is Calochortus  coxii, a true beauty ;D
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/CalochortusSpeciesTwo  (scroll down to find C. coxii photos)
http://www.centerforplantconservation.org/Collection/CPC_ViewProfile.asp?CPCNum=9791

I too always enjoyed Howard Pfeiffer's witty presentations, although these were not without controversy as he liked to sprinkle them with racy innuendo intended to shock the faint of heart.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:55:48 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #998 on: June 10, 2010, 08:53:07 PM »
Thanks Cliff, for the note about Howard, though I'm sorry to hear it. Likewise John, the news of Pat S who actually offered to pinch a little bit of a plant for me, from the St Andrews Botanic Gardens. But as I was to stand watch, I got cold feet and chickened out. Just as well probably.

Maggi, the photo (a slide) was TAKEN by Jim LeComte. I had no knowledge of it - well must have at the time, but have no recollection now). The slide was given to me by Jean, Jim's widow when we were both at the 40th anniv celebration of the Ashburton Alpine Garden Society last week, Jim and I having started that society back in 1970. He too is long gone now but would have been pleased to know it was still going very strong indeed. Jim was a speaker at "Alpines '81" and it has to be said he was an excellent photographer.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:08:36 PM by Lesley Cox »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #999 on: June 10, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the links Mark. I'd be very happy to adopt Calochortus coxii as my own. :D. It seems to be quite rare so is not likely to come my way at any time and isn't on our Bio list anyway. I've always quite liked the idea of being associated with the coffin juniper. You'd be surprised how many people over the years have asked me if I were related to Euan/Peter/Kenneth as if Cox were an uncommon name. I'm not, but in any case it would have been my husband not I who was related if there was such a relationship. He died in 1983. (Sorry, I didn't intend this to be a potted biography!)

Jim was very interested in Aciphylla and did have one named for him though whether the plant still has specific rank I'm not sure. He was very much the front of the Alouette Nursery which introduced so many fine things to local rock gardeners, especially Ericaceae such as Cassiopes, Phyllodaces, dwarf rhodos and many others. Locals however, had a pretty fair idea that it was Jean who did the propagating and had the real knowledge. She is the quietest and most retiring person imaginable and we felt it a shame she was never allowed to shine properly. Last week it was a great pleasure to meet her again after many years. She lives in Christchurch now.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #1000 on: July 05, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »
It's been a while ... an easy puzzle today.  Three images to identify ...
Cliff Booker

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #1001 on: July 05, 2010, 10:45:57 PM »
C looks like a swan's beak.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1002 on: July 05, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
Middle one looks like a crested duck? Top one reminds me of the Nene? Don't Mallard ducks have green beaks?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:53:00 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1003 on: July 05, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
I see where you get the Hawaian Goose idea, Anthony..... so if all three are water fowl, then my idea for the middle one being one of those fancy chickens Gail keeps is way out.....

I was going with Giles on the swan, but some mallards are quite green about the beak.....hmm.... dunno!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1004 on: July 05, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »
I don't remember swans having green beaks?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal