We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Puzzles  (Read 155776 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Puzzles
« Reply #330 on: May 13, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »
Alas, no reoom in my garden for such a plant. :'(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Eric Locke

« Reply #331 on: May 13, 2009, 11:37:46 PM »
Alas, no reoom in my garden for such a plant. :'(

Or mine. :'(

Eric

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #332 on: May 13, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »
Ignoring Anthony's pun ( I know you can't come to the Aberdeen Show on Saturday.... please just post the choc fine to me!!)....... there are some very cute LITTLE Rheums, you know......cannot remember the names of any right now, of course  :P :-[ ..... but they do exist and don't take much space.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #333 on: May 13, 2009, 11:55:59 PM »
Lesley,

I wish my wife had a similar appreciation of rheums as you have. While I grow several in the garden, they are confined to the "wild west corner" where they escape notice unless sought out. There is one patch in the garden of what I told my wife were a miniature species - these are now in flower at a height of about 2 metres.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #334 on: May 14, 2009, 12:06:43 AM »
I love this little one. It is Rheum delavayi and grows to about 15cms in flower. It makes a tiny, tight mat. You would need a lot of stems to have enough for a rhubarb pie. :)
134423-0

134425-1

I have this as R. tibeticum
134427-2

and I had R. spiciforme but have lost it now, a lovely inflorecence over flat foliage, the whole thing about 35cms high.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #335 on: May 14, 2009, 12:38:56 AM »
Paddy - re: Saruma henryi

ex Hinckley's The Explorer's Garden

"first described by Daniel Oliver in 1889 from herbarium pressings collected by A. Henry."

"both Henry and later Wilson observed Saruma growing in shady, mesic locations in Hubei, Guizhou, and Yunnan Provinces, China but little lore or scientific inquiry surrounds this plant."....and that Mikinori Ogisu reported the roots good for stomach ailments.

Hinckley first received from Lawrence Lee, Asian Collection at the National Arboretum in DC in 1990.

And how quickly good plants can travel:

From email June 24 1998

Jim  - Patrick Seymour of the Devonian BG was mentioning Saruma henryi on the phone recently & suggested we try it as well as some of the hardier Asarums. Must research.  John

From an email June 26 1998:

Dear John;
   Just packed Saruma seed-it goes out to you today. Some folks have had
problems germinating this, but I suggest planting outdoors in the ground
now. You'll get good germination in the spring. Light shade -
semi-woodland................... James Waddick

.............. when you save all your emails of note! 

johnw
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:44:34 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #336 on: May 14, 2009, 06:13:12 AM »
Lesley, I love your small Rheum too. The R. tibeticum is one to go for. (for me at least ;D)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #337 on: May 14, 2009, 09:22:20 AM »
Rhubarb...rhubarb...rhubarb this has been a really enlightening subject about Rheums......

Giant wild rhubarb used to grow on the railway bank near Auchterarder in Scotland and was a very dramatic site approaching the bridge - we were always warned its leaves were poisonous   ???   Rhubarb was a big part of our diet in puddings in various guises and it is a fascinating plant to watch as it unfurls.  Somewhere in the Midlands, in one of Rick Stein's TV programmes about the best of British produce, I seem to remember they showed that the whole village economy was built on growing rhubarb in cellars by candle light and had been for generations - nowadays being shipped to Europe and all over the place  ;)

Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #338 on: May 14, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »
John,

Your information on Saruma henryi is very interesting. I see you have enjoyed Dan Hinkley's book - he has another one on the way shortly, on trees, shrubs, climbers, along the same lines as the one on perennials.

Companions of Dan Hinkley on many of his plant hunting expeditions, Sue and Bledwynn Jones of Crug Farm, are based in north Wales which is quite accessible from Ireland - high speed ferry from Dun Laoghaoire to Holyhead and about an hour's drive to the nursery. They carry a very interesting range of plants; woodland plants in particular.

And, yes, it is amazing how quickly seed and plants can now get around the globe. Imagine the surprise this would engender in Wilson and Henry when one remembers the difficulties they had in sending collected seed back to botanic gardens in Ireland and England.

Lesley,
The smaller rheums are fantastic. I don't grow any and must look out for them. A parallel example is Gunnera magellanica, a really dwarf species at about 5 cm high even when in flower.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #339 on: May 14, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »
I seem to remember they showed that the whole village economy was built on growing rhubarb in cellars by candle light and had been for generations -   ;)

Probably replaced by a less efficacious crop now, Robin!    ::) :o :o :P  Wow man!  :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #340 on: May 14, 2009, 10:21:51 AM »
I seem to remember they showed that the whole village economy was built on growing rhubarb in cellars by candle light and had been for generations -   ;)

Probably replaced by a less efficacious crop now, Robin!    ::) :o :o :P  Wow man!  :D

Cliff, I'm completely in the dark on the subject but rheumour has it that it has medicinal properties  ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #341 on: May 14, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
I've never smoked rhubarb, myself........ and frankly, I don't see it catching on.... look at the lack of interest when Francis Drake tried to popularise smoking spuds.......... ::) :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #342 on: May 14, 2009, 10:45:26 AM »
look at the lack of interest when Francis Drake tried to popularise smoking spuds.......... ::) :P

I don't know, Maggi ... King Edwards are a top selling cigar!   :D

(...i do know that the cigars are King Edwards and the spuds are King Edward ... it's called comic license ... perhaps.)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2009, 10:54:52 AM »
look at the lack of interest when Francis Drake tried to popularise smoking spuds.......... ::) :P

I don't know, Maggi ... King Edwards are a top selling cigar!   :D

Invincible Cliff!

Back in the 70s I used to buy my Dad a King Edward's half corona at Glasgow Queen Street railway station on my way back from college. 25p in 1976 - same price as a pint! That year my family took my brother to Gleneagles Hotel when it was still run (properly) by BR, for his 21st. After the meal I asked a waiter for three half coronas from the cigar trolley. "Romeo et Juliette?" said the waiter "Yes" I replied. "That will be £7.50 sir." I nearly fell off my seat! I had to borrow a fiver off my Dad to pay for them!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #344 on: May 14, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
Fab story, Anthony!  I had my 21 at Geneagles Hotel too and choked on ginger sprinkled on the melon - much to everyone's amusement  ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal