We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Exeter  (Read 7912 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: AGS Exeter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 07:21:40 PM »
Giles, Great report; delighted to be able to see all these wonderful plants; enjoyed it greatly.

Many thanks, Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »
Townsendia (unknown species)
Looks like Townsendia condensata.  Mine will flower while we are away for Easter!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:03:13 PM by tonyg »

Dionysia

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 10:22:38 PM »
Excellent though Jim Almond's six pan was, the one featured earlier was Eric Jarrett's and his Chionohebe pulvinaris not only won the best plant in a 19cm award but also the Farrer. :)
Paul
 in Chippenham

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 10:27:49 PM »
Oops...many apologies!
I've made the correction.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:32:55 PM by Giles »

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 10:44:04 PM »
Giles, thank you for showing all these beautiful plants.
And congratulations to David with his First!
I love that Viola pedata..... and so many other plants too.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 06:25:45 AM »
Very hearty congratulations to Eric on his magnificent Six Pan and his very worthy Farrer Medal winning Chionohebe ... Jim WOULD have been so proud of them!  :D   Thanks Paul for rescuing the situation - trust you had a satisfying day?

Well done young David, will you be exhibiting all over the country now?   ;D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »
My day at the Show passed in a haze of euphoria. Not my first attendance at a Show by any means but my first dip of the toe in the water at exhibiting in Section C.

Result:
Class 105: 3 pans rock plants distinct.  First.
Class 108: 1 pan Primula. First.
Class 110: 1 bulbous plant. First.
Class 111: 1 pan rock plant raised from seed.  Third.
Class 114: 1 pan judged for foliage effect:  Second.
Dartington Trophy for most prize points in Section C

Beginners luck of course.

I have to say I was utterly gob smacked and if at 0830 when I walked into the Show Hall someone had said 'you're going to win a prize' I would have thought them to be mad!

Thus my picture taking was severely hampered by my state of euphoria and thanks to Giles for setting the scene. I just can't remember what is on my camera, may be only a photo record of my own stuff, but will check later and post something hopefully.

I also had a very pleasant surprise when a Forumist turned up at the Show bearing a tray of lovely plants for me and refused to accept a penny for them. Thank you again most sincerely.

My evening was then crowned by a few glasses of good single malt and a fantastic Annie Lennox concert on the box. What a day.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
Well done, David. They were a nice set of plants that you took to the show. See you in Edinburgh on Saturday when you can get some SRGC awards!
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

maggiepie

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 12:17:29 PM »
Wonderful pics Giles, the daphnes are so beautiful, I wish I could smell them.
The viola is amazing.

David, congratulations on your success, have you come back to earth yet? ;)
Helen Poirier , Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 02:20:48 PM »
I'm pleased that we have now got the right owner for those lovely plants and  can give Eric Jarrett the credit he deserves for some super plants!
That Chionohebe is gorgeous!!

Congratulations again to David.... WHAT a Good Day!!  :-*
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:27:13 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
Well, Giles, I had heard you had "go-faster" stripes painted on your bicycle.......and your slippers.... ;)

Maggi,
I noticed Giles doesn't have a nickname in his avatar yet.... I guess there's some inspiration for one here... ??  ;D ;D

Many congrats to David !  Very well done indeed !
Now it's definitely time to change the text under your signature Mr Nicholson... it no longer stands !!!  ;)

Giles,
You don't seem to mind the extra mile hopping from one show to the next !  ;D   Sorry we didn't meet this time... I missed the ferry..  ;D ;D ;D
A big thank you for the great pictures though !!
Wonderful show - tremendous plants once again !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ulla Hansson

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »
Giles,
The image of Viola pedata went straight into my heart. I have never seen such a color on a Viola.  :o  Do you know if
Aberconway send plants?   
Ulla
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:34:53 PM by Ulla Hansson »
Ulla Hansson 45 kilometers east of Gothenburg

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
Ulla,
No, they don't do mail order. It would be a case of one of us picking some up for you at one of the shows (which they attend) and posting it to you ourself.
The postage costs would be quite high (more than the cost of the plant), but if you want it, I can do it!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »
I forgot to add, in my euphoric out-pourings about the South West AGS Show, that not all of my Saturday went well. I forgot to buy our usual Saturday evening lottery ticket for which we always use the same set of numbers. Of course, four of our numbers came up-sod it >:( >:(

Most of my pictures were pretty awful but some of the more reasonable ones are posted here.

Firstly to get me out of the way, my winning 3 pans of rock plants distinct included Primula marginata 'Kesslering's Variety', Primula x pubescens 'Mrs JH Wilson (both of which I have posted recently in the Primula thread) and Primula 'Aire Waves'. So no further pictures of these.

My second in Class 114 for 1 pan judged for foliage effect was in fact one of my clones of Primula marginata 'Caerulea' which has sulked all year and refused to flower. But, it has lovely foliage! First pic below.

My winner in Class 108 for 1 pan Primula was my Primula marginata 'Fred Salter', not the largest plant in the world but in my view a lovely form and it really suited it's small clay pot. Second pic below.

My winner in Class 110 for 1 bulbous plant was my Juno, Iris graeberiana which has come on a lot since I posted it in the Juno thread a few days ago. My picture doesn't do it justice though and is the third pic below.

The fourth pic illustrates the massive difference in experience and class between showing in Section C and the Open Section. The fourth pic is of Jim Almond's winning entry in Class 21 for 1 bulbous plant excluding Frits, his Iris graeberiana. The fifth pic shows the cards he got for it. Luc, this illustrates why I shall not be changing my signature line just yet.

The fifth pic shows Eric Jarret's Farrer winning Chionohebe pulvinaris. What a plant and what a six pan collection he had on the table.

Mention has been made of the prize winning Viola pedata benched by Robin White which Giles pictured. In Section C my friend Mike Quest won best plant in Section with his Viola pedata which he bought from Robin White at last years show. Good pedigree there.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:45:59 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 08:47:03 PM »
Congratulations on your successes David. If you are still after a 'Broadwell Milkmaid' next time you're in Yorkshire call in as I have a couple ofsets (unless you're at the Chesterfield show?).
Thank you to everybody for the pictures of another good show.
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal