We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Exeter  (Read 7872 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: AGS Exeter
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 08:52:31 PM »
Hi Mick, many thanks. I'll PM you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »
These Milkmaids from Broadwell are buxom wenches, are they not? Or ,as we  would say in Scotland, "sonsy deems"  ;D

David, if it is any consolation to you, Ian was moved ( on account of the £14million roll-over) to buy  not one but two Lucky Dip tickets for Saturday's Lotto..... not a single number  in the bunch. :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »
Maggi I've only won two £10's since the lottery began. The last time I got four numbers my daughter was going to buy the ticket and she forgot. I'm fated to be poor for life ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 09:17:49 PM »

The fourth pic illustrates the massive difference in experience and class between showing in Section C and the Open Section. The fourth pic is of Jim Almond's winning entry in Class 21 for 1 bulbous plant excluding Frits, his Iris graeberiana. The fifth pic shows the cards he got for it. Luc, this illustrates why I shall not be changing my signature line just yet.

It is a wise man who replaces an achieved goal by the next one !  ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »
Thanks for all the pictures, and congratulations to David for his awards. 
I'm afraid you have now taken the first step on the road to show addiction. No one has yet found a cure, but for many of us, the only thing that keeps up going through the week is the thought of the next one   
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »
I'm afraid you have now taken the first step on the road to show addiction. No one has yet found a cure

Diane. I have been cured, Dublin show is on the 4th of April and I am going to a wedding on that day. ;D The last show I attended I got a gold award,but no more shows for me.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »
Well done David, keep it up ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

SueG

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 10:47:56 AM »
Well done David - the first of many I'm sure!
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 05:06:18 PM »
Congratulations David,you are on a slippery slope  :o

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »
Thanks for all the pictures, and congratulations to David for his awards. 
I'm afraid you have now taken the first step on the road to show addiction. No one has yet found a cure, but for many of us, the only thing that keeps up going through the week is the thought of the next one   

Thank you all.

Diane, I must admit I found the couple of days before the Show very stressful as I've never previously thought about my plants in any terms other than my own. It took me ages to decide which plants to take and I changed my mind many times. I even loaded them in the car on Friday evening to save me having a mind change on Saturday morning! If nothing else it made me clean my pots and Maureen was chuffed to see my newly found attention to cleanliness.

Exter is only three quarters of an hours drive for me but it did mean me getting up at 0645 and I don't really recognise morning times before 0815 these days-more stress! I have to say though that I got every help in the Show Hall with loads of people putting me right on how best to sort myself out.

How you cope with a Show over a hundred miles away from home must be a logistical nightmare and might be make a good Diary for times of the year there is not much to say about plants.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 08:19:04 PM »
How you cope with a Show over a hundred miles away from home must be a logistical nightmare and might be make a good Diary for times of the year there is not much to say about plants. 

David, I had thought of doing a blog or two later in the year about shows and what happens behind the scenes. 
As for long distance shows, last Saturday, my alarm went at 3.30 a.m. :'(

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 08:46:04 PM »
At that time I couldn't see the car never mind the plants ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
At that time I couldn't see the car never mind the plants ;D   

Nor me  ;D  (The car was already loaded - I always do that the night before)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »
David, we are recognising the 'early start' difficulties for ourselves and often go down on the Friday night staying in a local Travel Lodge. We treat it as a weekend break.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

maggiepie

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »

David, I had thought of doing a blog or two later in the year about shows and what happens behind the scenes. 

Diane, I for one would be very interested in reading about what goes on behind the scenes at a show.
Never having been to one and never likely to, I'd like to read about everything from start to finish.
Am sure there are others like me who would love to know more. ;D ;D
Helen Poirier , Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal