We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus season 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere commences!!  (Read 11035 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Galanthus season 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere commences!!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »
Eric,

It is an Australian selection, which is why you haven't seen it.  Very large flowers too.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Eric Locke

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »

8) 8) 8)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 02:09:47 PM »
Thanks Paul

I feel that I can cope with the long wait until Autumn now.

That Eric's Choice is a nice one.   ;D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 05:03:00 AM »
John,

There'll be plenty more to come over the next few months, so you don't just have to live from that fix alone.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:44 AM »
Paul,
the G. elwesii here have only just put their noses above the ground!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 07:37:19 AM »
Fermi,

I have many elwesii varieties that have no sign above ground yet, while my usual first flowerers in the ground are not too far off opening (they always start late June).  The two I pictured are in pots, so that probably has made them a little earlier.  There is so much time variation in the elwesii cultivars, it's quite amazing.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 12:33:50 PM »
Howdy All,

I discovered this in flower yesterday, not even realising it was above ground.  ::)  This I got from my friend Lyn here in Canberra a few years ago.  I've lifted it back into a pot as it has refused to offset at all where I had it in the ground... fingers crossed that it will do so now as I love it.  It is always one of the earliest elwesii to open for me, has quite small and chunky flowers but of a beautiful form and substance to them.  The plant in the pic is probably around 20cm high, but I could measure it if necessary.  This is a named form but Lyn cannot recall the name.  To me it is totally distinct from anything else I grow.  Does anyone recognise this flower and timing and can provide a name?  No idea whether it was an Australian named one or an import either, which complicates things still further.  I figured it was worth asking at least, even though I know how hard it is to put names on these when lost.  The fact it is so very early is a big identifier for me...... I must try self-pollinating it to see whether it will set seed on itself or not.

Thanks for any info or feedback on it.  I just love it, which is why I want the darn thing to start multiplying.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 10:40:38 AM »
A few more in flower for me at the moment....

Galanthus 'Powelltown'
Galanthus elwesii clump - unnamed, first to flower in the ground each year.  Haven't managed to catch it open this week, but hope to one of these days.  ::)
Galanthus reginae-olgae seedlings that I mentioned earlier in this topic and showed the pics of the buds just starting.  The green markings on each do differ, which is wonderful!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
 8) ;D 8)

That Galanthus 'Powelltown' is a nice snowdrop too, good mark and long petals.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »
Brian,

Very elongated, that is for sure. Certainly different. :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »
Howdy All,

A couple of pics of the Galanthus elwesii clump that I posted the other day, this time actually open.  As mentioned before, it is the first to flower in the ground for me each year.  A pic of the clump open, and a pic of an individual flower.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 03:30:58 AM »
More and more Galanthus coming out now of course.  Here's just a couple...

The one entitled 'Late' I am not sure deserves a name specifically (nor that that actually WAS supposed to be a name.... it definitely is not late here, that is for sure), but it is a good substantial flower and a very good performed.

The other one is just an elwesii I've had for years without a name... good long petals, and another good performer.  The previous clump I posted is to the left of my rose arch, and this one is to the right.  8)

Click on the pic for a larger version!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:55:43 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 06:43:54 AM »
And.... Galanthus woronowii.  Not a good flower, but the only flower I have this year.  Doesn't like flowering for me for some reason.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 08:28:10 AM »
And.... Galanthus woronowii.  Not a good flower, but the only flower I have this year.  Doesn't like flowering for me for some reason.  ::)
       Paul, can't understand why G. woronowii does not like you ,grows , multyplies and flowers
profusely here , as does G. rizehensis [I have given hundreds of rizehensis to my friends ],
 also a photo of 'Ophelia 'just going over ,all 3 photos taken today .
 If I was only allowed to grow one snowdrop ,it would have to be 'S. Arnott'- such a wonderful
constitution . and still going strong after a century !   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:51:53 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »
Otto,

If only I could understand why it doesn't flower for me.... then maybe I could rectify it.  Friends have it flower well for them, but mine rarely if ever flower.  I have it in a few different places in the garden to no avail.  I am going to put some back into pots and see whether that helps.  G. rizehensis normally does well for me, but the area they are in was a bit dry this year.  'Ophelia' always flowers well, but only just starting here, not even one fully open as yet.  I love your wonderful clumps.  Oh to have that sort of colony of them.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal