We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2009  (Read 35596 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Erythronium 2009
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2009, 09:37:08 PM »
So pleased to see someone else has seeds sitting around in small dishes. :) 0r saucers, plates, margerine pots, the occasional Doulton cream jug.....I'll get to them all, someday.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2009, 09:55:20 PM »
Whether transit over the Rockies could make a difference I can't possibly say but yesterday I received some Hellebore seed from Barnhaven in France. They tell me sow it immediately, which I shall, today, and that it will come up by the end of the year, which would be winter in the north. However, my seasons are reversed so that would be summer and I suspect I may get no germination until March/April 2010 or perhaps even 6 months later, in the spring.

What I'm really saying is that seeds is seeds is seeds and they'll do their own thing when and if they're ready, regardles of locality, season, freshness, sowing conditions or other treatment. I've learned never to be anxious if what I expect to happen doesn't, just to be thrilled when it does, no matter how long it takes. I'm always reluctant to give advice about what will happen for any particular seeds - not that that stops me - but just encourage to sow and hope. In the meantime, the whole subject gives us endless opportunities for discussion.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:04:30 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2009, 01:22:14 AM »
Whether transit over the Rockes could make a difference I can't possibly say but yesterday I received some Hellebore seed from Barnhaven in France. They tell me sow it immediately, which I shall, today, and that it will come up by the end of the year, which would be winter in the north. However, my seasons are reversed so that would be summer and I suspect I may get no germination until March/April 2010 or perhaps even 6 months later, in the spring.

Lesley - We collect Hellebore seed in early July and can't be bothered sowing it as we are too fried then. So we put them in a ziplock in moist sphagnum and hang them on the fridge magnet to get their required warmth for 2-3 months. Then we sow then in the autumn and they come up after about a month of very cool weather. You could do the same but sow and set outside in late winter after the ziplock and have them up before we do.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »
That sounds like a really good idea John. I'll try it and see what happens. Do you think it would be a good plan for the Jeffersonia seed that arrived today from BC?

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2009, 11:44:52 AM »
Do you think it would be a good plan for the Jeffersonia seed that arrived today from BC?

Not sure of Jeffersonia's requirements.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »
Lesley,

I have had success with Jeffersonia sown just like my normal bulb seed, i.e on the surface of the seed raising mix, covered in 3-5mm gravel.  Providing it is fresh seed they will do fine with that, or at least I had success with both J. dubia and J. diphylla that way a few years ago anyway. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2009, 11:13:33 PM »
Dug up some bulbs today. I ran out of compost, so I had to compromise. There was 10 inches at the very bottom of my coum bed that I didn't use, so I decided to plant them there. I planted the bulbs at 2,2.5,3, and 4 inches deep. I suppose they should be farther apart then I planted, next year I will space 3 inches apart. This is temporary until next year when I have the compost to replant them. I wanted them in some good soil this year just to see what they would do.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:21:47 PM by Guff »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »
I would  expect that  they will all be fine, Guff. :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:39:04 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2009, 02:15:12 AM »
Thanks Maggi. It will be interesting, a few looked to be flowering size, while others are tiny.

I have a question I'm ordering the following

Erythronium dens-canis 'Frans Hals'
Erythronium dens-canis 'Rose Queen'
Erythronium dens-canis 'Snowflake'
Erythronium dens-canis 'White Splendour'

Having only grown what grows wild here americanum, does these dens-canis types also have stolons or are they grown from seed?

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2009, 08:29:55 AM »
Thanks Maggi. It will be interesting, a few looked to be flowering size, while others are tiny.

I have a question I'm ordering the following

Erythronium dens-canis 'Frans Hals'
Erythronium dens-canis 'Rose Queen'
Erythronium dens-canis 'Snowflake'
Erythronium dens-canis 'White Splendour'

Having only grown what grows wild here americanum, does these dens-canis types also have stolons or are they grown from seed?

No stolons but they wil split like most bulbs do. The named cultivars you intend to buy are propagated this way. Seedlings will of course vary.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2009, 12:26:14 AM »
Göte thanks

I received my order today. I was looking through this thread and some look like their being grown in full sun. Would planting the dens-canis in my hardwoods, where they get winter and spring sun, then summer shade be ok?

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2009, 08:43:55 AM »
Göte thanks

I received my order today. I was looking through this thread and some look like their being grown in full sun. Would planting the dens-canis in my hardwoods, where they get winter and spring sun, then summer shade be ok?
When it is a question of dens-canis I am sure it will be fine.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2009, 01:54:31 AM »
Göte thanks

Picked up three more forms Lilac Wonder, Purple King, and Japonicum. Does the Japonicum cross with the dens-canis forms?  I want to try growing from seed next summer, and don't want to try crossing them if it doesn't, thanks.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »
I don't know whether they would cross or not but it seems to me that if they did, you'd get intermediate forms which would take away the distinctiveness of each species. Surely they would be better kept separate as clean species rather than all muddled up.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2009, 01:41:16 AM »
Lesley, I like to have something new and unique to look forward to seeing for the very first time, muddled is good in my opinion.

I think thats why I like to hybridize with daylilies so much. You never know what your going to find flowering for the very first time. The mystery and the surprise that awaits you, now thats fun and exciting!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal