We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2009  (Read 35603 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Erythronium 2009
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 05:44:30 AM »
Ah but David, that depends on the meaning of "guarantee" doesn't it? ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2009, 11:11:08 AM »
Some of my Erythroniums are flowering.
You have nice Erythroniums Hans. Have they names? I guess #1 and 5 is white sibiricum and #3 is japonicum but the others?
I enclose a picture taken yesterday of sibiricum ssp. altaicum originally from Janis. This is my earliest Erythronium.
Have a nice spring
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »
Very nice people
I have some (probably pagoda) that s growing amongst Anmone nemorosa.
They are not flowering yet but since I am 3000 km from the garden there will be no more pics of them.
They look to be have slightly darker marks than some I have seen. Maybe just a camera thing or the colder weather in Sweden?
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2009, 03:55:32 PM »
We find Pagoda nearly always has these nice markings, Joakim.I'll get photos tomorrow.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2009, 05:00:49 PM »
Erythronium californicum

Centre of photo & close up - a superb, vigorous form from Susan Band (Pitcairn Alpines).

At back right of photo is cultivar ‘White Beauty’.

Apologies for the rather mediocre photos.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Hristo

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »
Cracking erythroniums everyone, the dens-canis cultivars  in my garden and wild Erythroniums have gone over here.
Maybe someone out there will be able to help with this query, the Flora of Bulgaria lists E.dens-canis as the only species in Bulgaria, all photographs are for pink flowered plants. In this area of the Elenska Balkan all Erythroniums have white flowers, so are these ssp niveum as per Romania?

Attached here a plant I bought as E.multiscapodium, I live in hope that it might reflex its flower soon!
It did, a couple of days later!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:43:51 PM by Hristo »
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Ed Alverson

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:39 AM »
Ian's most recent bulb log talks about the diversity of forms of Erythronium revolutum, which makes sense considering that is geographic range extends along the west coast from 39 degrees to 51 degrees north latitude.  As I mentioned earlier, I have a patch grown from seed collected in the Oregon Coast Range west of Eugene.  Last summer I dug up the bulbs because they were growing poorly and moved them to a better spot.  They are now in flower, and they do seem to be growing and flowering much better this year, and here are some photos.  Note that on some of the plants, the outer surface of the outer 3 tepals are a darker shade of pink than the inner three.  I find myself wondering if these plants might represent what is called var. johnsonii, the type locality of which is the Oregon Coast Range.  I've had a hard time finding out exactly where the type specimen was collected, as the original paper does not specify.  Just another mystery to try to solve!

In the first photo you can see my squirrel barrier, a piece of chicken wire.  It does keep the squirrels from digging up the bulbs, but it makes it hard to weed while the plants are flowering!
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Ed Alverson

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2009, 12:50:04 AM »
Attached here a plant I bought as E.multiscapodium, I live in hope that it might reflex its flower soon!

Hristo, note that the plant on the left shows two separate flowering scapes coming from a single pair of leaves, so it can only be E. multiscapoideum!

Ed

Hristo

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2009, 05:19:52 AM »
Cheers Ed, I had thought it was probably a good name to plant match but I have little information on Erythroniums. Apart from the leaf damage this species has done much better since it moved into a fairly heavy clay soil.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »
Here is Erythronium Joanna in the garden yesterday, unfortunately the pink doesnt show well.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Ed Alverson

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2009, 05:28:11 PM »
Here is Erythronium Joanna in the garden yesterday, unfortunately the pink doesnt show well.

Brian,

Will the pink in "Joanna" perhaps appear as the flowers mature?  Or is it that your camera just didn't pick up the pink part of the spectrum?

Ed

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
I don't know why it is Ed, I have posted pictures last year in which it was plain to see, perhaps something to do with the light?  It does show better on the buds.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Hristo

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Re-posted here from a thread in flowering now, these pics are of wild E.dens-canis in Bulgaria. In this area in their tens of thousands these plants produce white flowers with a very few rare flowers showing a pink blush.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2009, 01:26:37 PM »
Chris,

You've got to add that shot which fully shows the dark leaf from above as well.  Then again, pretty much every one of the pics of these that you posted were special, and different to anything I grow here.  Just goes to show how limited we are here in Aus as to varieties, although Marcus Harvey in Tas is offering new named dens canis in the last few years (which I of course just HAD to buy!  ;D).  Very special to see these pics of them in the wild, particularly as in this case human clearing has possibly actually helped them rather than hinder them.  They (and the Crocus veluchensis) certainly look prolific enough.  Thanks again for the pics.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hristo

« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Hi Paul, as requested picture of bronzed / red leafed varient attached. True about human activity ( sometimes ), we were postulating that the leaf colour was a reaction to increased light levels, i.e... more red pigment and you are reflecting more of the light bandwidth plants normally absorb with green leaves. This leaf varient only appeared in the open, maybe in 100 years this leaf form will predominate!?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal