We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2009  (Read 36834 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Erythronium 2009
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »
Chris - Pottertons nursery catalogue lists a plant as E.dens-canis niveum & describes it as from Bulgaria:
http://www.pottertons.co.uk/pott/view_product.php?pid=2373
If Rob Potterton sees this he may be able to provide  more information.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Hristo

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »
Cheers Gerry, kind of confirms what I thought about Bulgaria having ssp niveum. though as I mentioned the ssp is not listed in Flora Bulgarica, hey ho!

Flowering today;
E.oregonum
E.tuolumnense 'Pagoda'
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:17:05 AM by Maggi Young »
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2009, 02:31:50 AM »
This leaf varient only appeared in the open, maybe in 100 years this leaf form will predominate!?

Hope I'm still around to see it. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hristo

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2009, 06:23:49 AM »
 :D I understand that one, it is great to get a glimpse of natural selection at work, a privilege normally reserved for much longer lived things, like mountains and rocks!  :D :D
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2009, 08:44:51 AM »
Wonderful shots Chris !
That "Top of the heap" picture is a w e s o m e !!  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »
I am glad that I have just found this thread and I am posting some pictures of Erythroniums some very odd ones which I have also sent to Ian Young please help with names,, I do know what some are, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »
Ian,

Wow.  "Ery 4" in particular is very striking.  Love those throat markings.  Sort of reminiscent of markings of japonicum isn't it (although I've only seen pics of that, never in person).  Very, very nice whatever it is.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2009, 07:53:17 PM »
Hi again, erythronium 4 is a E. hendersonii hybrid. I post a picture of a natural hybrid this is a seedling from erythronium Sundisc the leaves are very dark and the flowers pale yellow,  cheers ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2009, 08:29:18 AM »
Ian,
Jens Neilson is just back from looking at E. hendersonii in the wild, He saw loads of different colour forms ranging from nearly white to dark lilac. Better doing that and moving tables for Perth Show.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »
Yes indeed Susan, thanks for your efforts the show was good, a few exhibitors missing and sorry but we had to fly home. cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
Erythronium revolutum variants
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2009, 03:00:21 AM »
[This message moved from General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now]

Attached, two photos of Erythronium revolutum from the Cowichan Valley, Vancouver Island.

The first is a peculiar aberrant form, the flowers somewhat of an apricot color rather than the usual clear pink. (This color difference is not evident in the photo.) The flowers are also somewhat irregular in form. I collected two bulbs of this along the river quite a number of years ago, in an area where both E. revolutum and E. oregonum grow. In spite of the hundreds of other plants of erythronium in that area, these were the only two of this form. The two aberrant bulbs were not at the same site, one of them being so close to the bank that it probably would have washed away the next time the river flooded.

It is not a hybrid between the two species growing there. Hybrids of E. revolutum and E. oregonum are common around and are what you would expect: pinks, white, and all colors in between, but nothing like this form.

It may be a hybrid with E. grandiflorum, which grows on but the two sites are about 5 miles apart: rather far for a bee to fly.

The other picture is of a white-flowered form of E. revolutum found upstream from the ecological reserve on . Again, this was a single bulb among a pure stand of thousands upon thousands of ordinary E. revolutum. It is rather frailer than usual with E. revolutum, as is common with albino plants.

While the apricot aberrant form has multiplied modestly over the years, the white-flowered form remains a single bulb to this day.

Are these garden worthy plants? Not really. Both the common local species of Erythronium (E. oregonum and E. revolutum) are very easy from seed and I actually prefer their cleaner lines, greater vigor, and more regular form than these two curiosities of nature.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:05:14 AM by Rodger Whitlock »
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2009, 04:23:39 AM »
Rodger mentioned the Skutz Falls hybrids between oregonum, which
grows in dry woods, and revolutum, which grows along the stream.

I planted one or two in my garden about 32 years ago, and they have
been seeding around ever since.  They are almost all various shades of
pink, but one is white.

One pale one has put itself into a dogwood (Cornus nuttallii) trunk, across
the path from the main group.  The pathway also has them.  Every year
I intend to dig them out, but haven't got around to it yet.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Hristo

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2009, 09:51:55 AM »
Hi Diane,
What a stunning patch of Erythronium, leave em in the path! In the UK I had marsh orchids in my paths, my Mum had cyclamen in hers! Do your hybrids set seed? Anyways, if you would like to swap some Erythronium seed ever please pm me.
Chris.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2009, 07:19:05 PM »
Hi again, thanks for the new pictures, I post a special Erythronium picture which Is a hybrid Ery. revolutum called Carol Scott one picture two stages show just how different it is the flower spike is almost bent double then as the flowers open it becomes upright with several flower on each spike it is very nice, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

Hristo

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2009, 07:59:23 PM »
That's a corker of a flower Ian!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal