We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2009  (Read 36834 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Erythronium 2009
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2009, 07:48:38 AM »
Ian,

What a beauty.  Lovely characteristics.  Hopefully someone imports it into Aus at some point.  Beautiful! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
My (non-white) E sibiricum is now in flower. This is year #2. Year #1 it was not very good. I get the impression that Erythroniums do not like to be moved around. Is that a general experience or am I just careless? Anyway It is quite nice.
I placed these two japonicum in a position that makes photos very difficult (mea culpa  :( )

Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2009, 09:48:42 AM »
All stunning, Gote!! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »
I saw this 'Snow Goose' in Margaret Glynn's garden last week.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Ed Alverson

« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »
Following up on Hristo's post about the purple-leaved E. dens-canis, I just noticed a photo on the web of a purple-leaved plant of Erythronium oregonum, so this phenomenon can occur in other species.  The photo is on the CalPhotos web site at
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?where-taxon=Erythronium%20oregonum.

The photographer's note attached to the photo says "This is an exceptionally dark purple-brown leafed form. I have watched it mature from a single dark leaf to a double-leafed flowering specimen this year. The stem and flower are normally colored."

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2009, 04:38:33 PM »
A photo of the wild form of Erythronium californicum.

This is growing in my garden, in quite heavy, dampish soil that is waterlogged in winter. Leaves of an epimedium at left and along bottom; leaves of a spuria iris in background; erythronium leaves in lower right corner.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »
I usually only get 2-3 flowers a year. How can I get these to flower. I have thousands of single leaf plants, yet only a few flowers each spring. Thanks for info.

Hristo

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2009, 05:21:45 PM »
Göte, super Erythroniums, great to see E.japonicum, a real stunner!
Guff - I have this problem with my E.dens-canis cultivars, and from observations in the wild I do wonder if they simply have good and bad years, but on the off chance it may help I am minded to plant some of mine much deepr. i.e.. 10 to 15cm below surface level to see if this helps flowering next year. Good Luck!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2009, 07:16:08 PM »
Whilst visiting Gothenburg botanic gardens last year - we presented the problem of non flowering Erythronium americanum to Gerben Tjeerdsma who guided us around.  They hat lots of E. americanum all flowering like mad.  He said they had had the same problem and they got the Erythroniums flowering freely after replanting them and digging in lots and lots of old rotted manure... ever since they had been flowering beautifully.

I did the same with a clump of non flowering E. tuolumnense - it took them one growing season to regain their strength and this year they've been flowering profusely.  I believe every single bulb produced a flowering stem   :D!  I posted a pic earlier in this Erythronium thread !  Obviously they also get their ration of Potash !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
Hristo, Luc, thanks.

Do you think putting down 3-4 inches of leaf compost in the fall would work? It would be a major job digging them up and redoing the bed.

Last summer I dug up around 20 and planted in another spot. I see one flower bud so far. I may start another bed when they start to die down.

Took another picture.

Hristo

« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
Hi Guff, sounds like a plan, they get the deeper planting and the nutrient input Luc suggests! The ones that are flowering are rather attractive so here's hoping for more in your garden next year!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2009, 03:34:19 AM »
Flowering today;
E.oregonum
E.tolumense 'Pagoda'

That E. oregonum you have is from a southerly population. Here in British Columbia, E. o. is uniformly white (perhaps with a subliminal ivory tinge), but further south, in Oregon, you get creamy colored ones.

I'll try to take some illustrative photos tomorrow and post them.

Though you likely know it, 'Pagoda' is a hybrid of E. tuolumnense, as are 'Kondo' and 'Citronella'.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »
Guff,

Which Erythronium species is that?  Very nice leaves but with strong yellow flowers!  ???  Is it grandiflorum?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2009, 11:45:09 AM »
Guff's Ery is the  E. americanum/umbilicatum type....  we'd call it americanum here!!
We have had similar problems with the proliferating form  which makes carpets of single leaves..... but in recent years it has finally decided to begin making twin leaves and flowers...... mostly a complete mystery to us!
 We were not able to perfom the dig and manure trick that seems to have worked in Gothenburg, but if it is possible, I'd suggest trying it.  Maybe the mulch route is worth a go too....  can't hurt, I reckon.

Paul.... the Bulb Log is always a good source  ;) for instance.... http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/160108/log.html    8)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:47:17 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hristo

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2009, 05:12:25 PM »
Hi Rodger,
Many thanks for the information about the E.oregonum, it's great to have that kind of information about a treasured plant from those who live in their neighbourhood!  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal