We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Epimedium - various threads gathered together here  (Read 238219 times)

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
Re: Epimedium listing: including Epimedium 2010
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2010, 06:51:03 AM »
I'm pleased to see this new thread for Epimedium too. One of those frustrating genera for New Zealanders as there only a few here and nothing recent at all. Just a dozen are on the MAF permitted list and most have been in the country for 50 years or more. So Ross, I'd love more too but where are we to get them? :'( :'( :'(
Ah the same old story, eh?
Christchurch, New Zealand

Philip MacDougall

« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2010, 08:08:19 AM »
Maggie, You mentioned you don't have enough space for a large species of Epimedium,. My instinct would be to radomly select something and toss it. In lieu of that how about this species, Epimedium ecalcaratum. 2 or 3 inches tall in this clone, very thin long loose rhizomes have yet to form an inpenatrable mat. I'm hoping it can be ysed to create some other tiny forms. I like to get Epimedium diphyllum nanum this year, said to be good in a trough. Can any one sugesst other tiny forms for the rockery. Philip

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »
Mark - The E. grandiflorum A,B & C are simply three different clones received from a friend.  I will have to have a good look at them in the Spring to see how they differ.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2010, 04:00:37 PM »
Keep this mind folks: If you want to rouse Philip from double dormancy just mention the E word.

More please Mr. McD.

Let's see if this shot of his E. latisepalum sparks a response.

johnw

Well, that's about the prettiest mottled foliage I've seen on an epimedium, very nice!  E. latisepalum had not been on Darrell's list that I can remember and I'm unfamiliar with it, except knowing it has white flowers.  John, has your plant flowered for you?  How tall does this one grow?  Is it a spreader or a clumper?
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

johnw

« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
Keep this mind folks: If you want to rouse Philip from double dormancy just mention the E word.

More please Mr. McD.

Let's see if this shot of his E. latisepalum sparks a response.

johnw

Well, that's about the prettiest mottled foliage I've seen on an epimedium, very nice!  E. latisepalum had not been on Darrell's list that I can remember and I'm unfamiliar with it, except knowing it has white flowers.  John, has your plant flowered for you?  How tall does this one grow?  Is it a spreader or a clumper?

Mark - Unfortunately that is Philip's hand in the photo. And note how firmly he is grasping that pot, in his garden.   Someday he'll propagate it and we just might see one this way.

I had an E. latisepalum from Philip but it must have disappeared.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:56:13 PM by johnw »

TheOnionMan

« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2010, 05:20:02 PM »
Maggie, You mentioned you don't have enough space for a large species of Epimedium,. My instinct would be to radomly select something and toss it. In lieu of that how about this species, Epimedium ecalcaratum. 2 or 3 inches tall in this clone, very thin long loose rhizomes have yet to form an inpenatrable mat. I'm hoping it can be ysed to create some other tiny forms. I like to get Epimedium diphyllum nanum this year, said to be good in a trough. Can any one sugesst other tiny forms for the rockery. Philip

With all of the eppies that I have, it's funny that in one SRCG page you guys discuss 2 species that I don't have; E. latisepalum and ecalcaratum!  Philip, your ecalcaratum is stunning with the blazing red spring leaflets and bright yellow "thimbles".  Sounds like it's a spreader based on your description of the rhizomes. Two other species that are similar in appearance (with yellow thimble-like flowers, with tiny reduced sepals) are E. campanulatum and platypetalum.  The former is a clumper with low foliage to 6", but stems that can reach 18-24" tall (for me, they splay outwards, not upwards), and the latter is a spreader (8-12" a year according to Darrell).  Another dwarf yellow one with red-mottled foliage is E. rhizomatosum, but I found the rhizomes so long and aggressive that I desperately dug it all up and untangled the invading rhizomes from other plants and neighboring eppies, and moved the tangled mass of rhizomes and planted them under a bed of hybrid lilacs, letting the lilac roots duke it out with the low carpetting eppie.

In terms of low Epimediums for the rock garden, sort of depends on the scale of the garden I suppose, but even though some species and cultivars are rather low, many have a second flush of foliage after flowering that can more than double the apparent size of the plant.  But here are some suggestions:

E. x setosum - delicate clumping sort, several clones, adorable leaves & delicate white flowers.
(Photo uploaded)
E. x setosum 'Nanum'- 5" tall, second flush to 10" tall.
E. grandiflorum 'Nanum' - 3-5" in bloom, 10" after second flush (choice)
E. grandiflorum var. coelestre - Japanese, from "high alpine heights", 9", greenish yellow flowers
E. grandiflorum var. coelestre 'Alpine Beauty'- 6" tall "tight bun", light yellow
E. grandiflorum var. higoense (including cultivars 'Bandit', 'Saturn', 'Saturn'), all low growing
E. grandiflorum f. flavescens 'Nanum'- 6" light yellow, 12-16" second foliar flush
E. elachyphyllum - 6" tall, 2" rhizomes, simple single leaflets, evergreen.
...also various smaller cultivars such as E. x youngianum 'Liliputian'.  (photo uploaded)

Keep away from some of the other low growers that romp around and invade, including E. alpinum 'Shrimp Girl', pauciflorum, rhizomatosum, unless they get introduced to wilder parts of the garden.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:37:33 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2010, 05:38:02 PM »
Here is what I have as Epimedium latisepalum. The first is a pretty awful picture when it was still in a pot.

The second and third now it has been released into the garden. I determined it as latisepalum from Stearn's monograph.

It is a wonderful plant.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2010, 05:40:22 PM »
Lovely plants Mark these two white eppies   ::)

Tony your eppie is very amazing  :o
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

johnw

« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
The first is a pretty awful picture when it was still in a pot.
It is a wonderful plant.

Holy Toledo!  It's smashing.

johnw

TheOnionMan

« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
Here is what I have as Epimedium latisepalum. The first is a pretty awful picture when it was still in a pot.

The second and third now it has been released into the garden. I determined it as latisepalum from Stearn's monograph.
It is a wonderful plant.

I'm going to have to get on Darrell's case, to find out why he doesn't sell this one ;-)   I'm sure he has it, just hasn't offered it yet.  I'm really impressed with the large substantial look to both the plant and the flowers.  One's mind races with thoughts of wonderous hybrid possibilities  :o
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
Epimedium prices.

In the case of Garden Vision Nursery, I'm willing each year to fork over $300-$400 for my annual Epimedium order, selecting a couple newer cultivars for $30-$40 each, then some of the many grandiflorums and youngianums which average a much lower affordable cost, the latter types being the "work horses" in the garden.  I'm willing to pay some extra for validated plants of known origin, and plants that are excellently grown in loose bark mulch as Darrell & Karen grow them, where the roots are ready to expand into neighboring soil (unlike the 100% peat that many nurseries in the US have moved to, where the blasted peat "root-blocks" create impenetrable peat blobs that isolate the roots from neighboring soil, creating an island effect, and even easy perennials invariably die of drought, one of my pet peeves!). 

I'm also willing to spend money on Epimediums, as at least here in New England, USA, they're so permanent and last forever!  I have several epimediums that I bought from George Schenk in the early 70s, and these plants are as steadfast as any plants could to be, making gorgeous clumps.

I found this link for those of you in the UK, you all probably know it, but the prices range between 4£ - 6£, even for E. wushanense 'Caramel'!!! They also have some great cultivars I've not seen on this side of the pond: Epimedium 'Amber Queen' - Blackthorn Nursery (E.flavum x E.wushanense)... ooh la la!  One called 'Fire Dragon' looks awesome too. Might be cheaper for me to order these from UK than buy them here, that is of course, if I was employed and had the funds to spend on such frivolities ;-)

Long Acre Plants in the UK
http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/Epimedium.html

Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2010, 07:06:24 PM »
The first is a pretty awful picture when it was still in a pot.
It is a wonderful plant.

Holy Toledo!  It's smashing.

johnw

John did you notice the podophyllum seed pods dangling in the background on the second picture?
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2010, 07:17:41 PM »
I'm pleased to see this new thread for Epimedium too. One of those frustrating genera for New Zealanders as there only a few here and nothing recent at all. Just a dozen are on the MAF permitted list and most have been in the country for 50 years or more. So Ross, I'd love more too but where are we to get them? :'( :'( :'(
Ah the same old story, eh?

I do, however, have E. davidii, pictured above.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:42:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2010, 07:18:49 PM »
Long Acre Plants in the UK
http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/Epimedium.html

I haven't bought from them myself, but they're listed in our Links pages, recommended by John Humphries......

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?action=links
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2010, 07:21:05 PM »
The 'Jennie Wren' is a real stunner, exactly what I would like to see more of here.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal