We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Epimedium - various threads gathered together here  (Read 246844 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Epimedium listing: including Epimedium 2010
« Reply #345 on: April 16, 2010, 08:50:44 AM »
My goodness, Philip, if you had posted this on April 1st I would have had to dismiss it as a fantasy  :-X
An extraordinary size of Epimedium... and what a great colour  8)
If you read Stearn's book you will find some large species and if grown with skill and TLC they are likely to become great and gigantic plants.
Let us hope that they become more easily available.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #346 on: April 16, 2010, 09:34:58 AM »
My goodness, Philip, if you had posted this on April 1st I would have had to dismiss it as a fantasy  :-X
If you read Stearn's book you will find some large species and if grown with skill and TLC they are likely to become great and gigantic plants.
Göte
Reading is one thing...seeing is another  ;) ;D  (From a country in the throes of an election!! :P)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #347 on: April 16, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »
Our Epimediums have been slow to start this year but here are 2. Epimedium ogisui and E. davidii.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #348 on: April 19, 2010, 01:22:38 AM »
Our Epimediums have been slow to start this year but here are 2. Epimedium ogisui and E. davidii.

Shelagh, a great start to the epimedium season, don't you think the asiatic epimedium are fantastic with their red-mottled spring foliage colors, practically worth growing for the foliage alone; not to slight the big spidery flowers which are also a delight! 

Here the Epimediums are a full 3 weeks ahead.  More photos forthcoming.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #349 on: April 19, 2010, 02:15:42 AM »
The Epimedium season is suddenly upon us with wild abandon here in Northeastern USA, fully 3 weeks ahead of normal due to a series of weather contitions; an unusually mild spring, a few periods of record rainfall (with flooding), fueled by extended periods of warm and mild dry sunshine, including a couple days of record heat.  The Epimediums are jumping out of the ground! 

1 - 3  E. epsteinii, an evergreen species named as recently as 1994, It is slow to become established, but once happy it makes a striking specimen, with leathery dark green evergreen foliage mixed with orange-bronze new foliage, and discreet panicles of substantial flowers of exceptionally broad white sepals, contrasting with the dark purple cup and petals.  This is a plant that needs to be planted high on an enbankment to best appreciate the beautiful down-faced blooms.

4.  E. fangii - this photo shows a bit of dark green oval evergreen foliage mixed with a small emerging leaflet of rich mottled red... more to come.  This plant is one that Darrell Probst introduced as a hardy growable form from Mt. Emei China, of an otherwise tempermental not-so-hardy species from previous introductions. This one is a "spreader" with long annual rhizomes, so site it accordingly.  It has large yellow flowers.  Quickly becoming one of my favorites.

5 - 7  E. fargesii, a Chinese species that is hard to capture photographically. Long slender spine-edged evergreen leaflets and slender tallish panicles with down-turned delicate white flowers, like little slender white "shooting stars" with reflexed sepals and small grape purple centers.  Enchanting.

8 - 9  E. stellulatum, another Chinese evergreen species.  Photo 8 shows the basal evergreen spine-edged foliage, a nice base to light filmy panicles of starry white flowers with yellow centers, with a haze of spring cauline leaves that are variably marbled red, bronze and green.  In my photos, the flowers are just starting to open. A good one to be sure!

10.  E. leptorrhizum, a Chinese species that is very low and spreading up to 8" annually on long stolons.  As it is, I have not sited it well, must replant it where it is free to create a spreading groundcover without invading neighbors.  The spidery light pink blooms are extra large held close to the textured olive bronze-tinged foliage.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #350 on: April 19, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »
here a other Epimedium from me :

Epimedium grandiflorum 'Coelestre'
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #351 on: April 19, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »
Looking very good Mark.  We have another pink one in the front garden but it is so low I'm not sure if I can bear to grovel down and snap it.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

TheOnionMan

« Reply #352 on: April 19, 2010, 03:24:59 PM »
Looking very good Mark.  We have another pink one in the front garden but it is so low I'm not sure if I can bear to grovel down and snap it.

By the way, I forgot to mention about E. ogisui, it is definitely an attractive species, there are not many with all white flowers. It is a species I do not yet grow but must try sometime, but it is one of the few epimedium species listed as USDA Zone 6, so it might be a little tender in my colder Zone 5 garden.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #353 on: April 19, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
Göte
Reading is one thing...seeing is another  ;) ;D  (From a country in the throes of an election!! :P)
Growing them is a third - however, one must get them first. ;D
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

TheOnionMan

« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2010, 02:35:23 PM »
It is Epimedium madness time here, all busting into bloom.  I share a miscellany of Epimedium images that caught my fancy in the bright sunlight yesterday (and sunny and warm again today... more epimedium photo shoots!).

1   -  colorful epimedium leaves catching afternoon sunlight in the garden
2   -  E. grandiflorum 'Lavender Lady' overlooking maidenhair fern fronds and pulmonaria.
3   -  view of young epimedium foliage, top center is the giant E. grandiflorum 'Red Queen'
4   -  epimedium foliage, E. x versicolor 'Versicolor' at centerstage with red, green-veined leaves, and E. grandiflorum 'Cocolate
        Lace' to the left.
5   -  splash of orange in my allium garden, Epimedium x warleyense flowering prolifically.
6-9 - Epimedium pinnatum ssp. colchicum flowering.  Evergreen foliage cut off to see the floral show. 
        The young leaves are inrolled showing off their fuzzy backsides.
10  - Bed of mixed hybrid seedlings, those with wonderful coffee and caramel toned leaves are hybrids between
        E. grandiforum f. flavescens 'La Rocaille' x E. grandiforum 'Dark Beauty'

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:38:26 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »
Mark
Thank you very-very much maintaining this topic! While my Epimeds are still sleeping I enjoy yours and learn more about them.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

TheOnionMan

« Reply #356 on: April 23, 2010, 03:25:58 AM »
I grow approximately 180 different species and cultivars.  But now I'm wondering why there aren't a million hybrids, as they are all so willing to hybridize.  I had heard that most epimedium are self sterile, and need other plants/species around, and then they freely hybridize.  In 2005, I started getting many seedlings around parent plants; they're such cute seedlings I couldn't throw them away, so I decided to pot them up and eventually plant them out, labeling the seedlings as to what parent plant they were found near.  Well, I am just dazzled by the results.  So I include two photos of Epimedium grandiflorum 'Dark Beauty', one of the most dramatic cultivars with foliage that emerges near black-red, then goes through a gorgeous transformation through all shades of reddish brown, coffee, and caramel leaf colors.  I follow with 4 photos of mixed hybrid seedlings, many being hybrids with 'Dark Beauty', inheriting the same dramatic spring foliage color.

Today the flowers started opening on 'Dark Beauty', so I spent a couple hours this morning hand pollinating and making intentional crosses... such fun! I'm selecting specific parents that possess desirable qualities, then dabbing pollen.  While epimedium flowers are small, they're actually fairly easy to work with to make crosses, some species/culivars having more abundant easy-to-access pollen than others.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:11:27 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #357 on: April 23, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »
Beautiful Mark! Fall foliage in spring!
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #358 on: April 24, 2010, 06:29:15 AM »
What a gorgeous lady is the 'Dark Beauty.' :P
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TheOnionMan

« Reply #359 on: April 24, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
What a gorgeous lady is the 'Dark Beauty.' :P

Lesley, I notice in your various posts, that you like dark color flowers and plants.  More dark eppies coming.... :D
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal