We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum  (Read 32413 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Podophyllum
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2009, 01:51:18 AM »
Congratulations on the seedpods coming to fruition!!  ;D  Good luck with your hybrids.  I hope you're successful in producing some wonders.  How many seeds did you end up with from those 3 fruit in #97?

Paul - delavayi#1 x delavayi #2 produced uniformly large seed. The crosses delavayi (best)   x   versipelle Helleiners and an op pod which was dabbed with pleianthum, versipelle and delavayi produced 1/3 large seed and 2/3 small seed.  A few of the small seeds shattered when de-sliming.  

I should sow the smaller and larger ones separately to see if there is a difference in the outcomes.

johnw
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:37:28 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2009, 03:05:28 AM »
It will be interesting to hear (and see) the outcome.  Thanks John.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

mickeymuc

« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2009, 06:41:57 PM »
This year my P. "spotty dotty" produced some beautiful fruit - I'm very curious to see what will come out - I tried pollination with delavayi, hexandrum and versipelle (?)....but of course I didn't mark which was which. However, I'm sure the offspring will be beautiful :-)

Michael
Michael

Dettingen (Erms), southwest Germany
probably zone 7 but warm in summer....

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2009, 10:49:33 PM »
Congratulations, Michael.  An achievement to get the seeds, and good luck with some interesting progeny.  I'd be doing the same thing I must admit if I had different Podophyllums.... the possibilities seem endless!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:44 AM »
Thats good Michael I am sure the offspring will be interesting.

Here are the last two fruits on one of my delavayi which does not have well marked leaves. They are the largest yet and resemble in colour and size those on P hexandrum each being 8cms long. When it flowered it was  normal delavayi.
My other plants produced more purple/red fruits.

Across the range of fruits I have collected this year the number of seeds has ranged from 4 to over 80 in a single one. Previous experience shows they germinate well  the spring following sowing. I keep my seed pots just frost free over the winter even though the plants have proved to be hardy in the garden.

As John says cleaning them is not the easiest way to spend an afternoon.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

johnw

« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »
A mass wave of Podophyllum seeds are sprouting in the cold room.  Seems a tad early but as some of the seeds seemed awfully rubbery on harvesting it's quite promising.

I suppose it will soon be time to confirm the species and hybrids when the seed leaves appear.  Assistance will certainly be required.

johnw

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:32:11 PM by johnw »

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2010, 11:05:05 PM »
John that is good news. I had one germinate in December but the cold soon saw it of. I now have them just frost free and I see they are starting to germinate. Still on seeds the Helleborus thibetanus are through,how are yours?

johnw

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2010, 01:01:22 AM »
John that is good news. I had one germinate in December but the cold soon saw it of. I now have them just frost free and I see they are starting to germinate. Still on seeds the Helleborus thibetanus are through,how are yours?

Tony - Seeds of your thibetanus had roots down last week when checked but tops are not showing yet.  They're in the same cold light room as the Podos at about 7c.  Fingers crossed.

Narcissus cyclamineus cw Feriera from Brian Duncan in 2008 are just coming up. I thought they were hopeless; I wanted to get different genes into my cyclamineus which have been repeatedly sibbed.  Also scads of Galanthus nivalis from Jelitto seed sown last spring, a few had come up almost immediately.  The first really good germination on Erythronium revolutum ever.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »
The first two seedlings have emerged above the surface of the pot soil - pleianthum x versepille.  The seeds coats have not been sluffed off yet so no id is possible yet.

johnw

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »
The first two seedlings have emerged above the surface of the pot soil - pleianthum x versepille.  The seeds coats have not been sluffed off yet so no id is possible yet.

johnw

John

thats good that they are moving along.

I now have lots germinating having brought them into a warmer room and a few have shed the seed coat.

I am interested to know how you are going to id them from the seed leaves?

johnw

« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »
Tony - I thought Robin had posted a shot of the differences in Podo spp. at the pre-true leaf stage. BNow I cannot find it or maybe I am thinking of Paris?

johnw

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:01 PM »
Well the surprise will be all the greater when they produce their true leaves !

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »
John,

there are some pics with cotyledons published by Robin here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2492.msg60465#msg60465

and here one year later:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3472.msg87216#msg87216
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:08:42 PM by WimB »
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »
Wim

thank you,I will now wait and see if mine conform.I did pollinate them carefully in order to try and keep them as pure species so it will be interesting to look at the results. A lot of (all) the plants in cultivation seem to have come from Chen yi and they are very variable.

johnw

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »
Has anyone had problems getting the seed coat to sluff off Podophyllum seedlings?  Seems we had this problem awhile back with P. hexandrum.

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal