We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Next Alpine Garden Society Show  (Read 10525 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Next Alpine Garden Society Show
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »
"Dapper" is a good term Maggi, it describes him very well.

Fitted in around a visit to Mum-in-Law the timing of which was pre-arranged to suit.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 08:32:04 PM »
It seems that a Farrer medal was not awarded at Pershore, but Ivan Pinnick from the Isle of Wight won  
 "best in show" for Campanula raineri 'Gothenburg Form' ...... any more news from Pershore?????  

I'm really sorry about two things:
1. Not to meet David N who did not make himself known (to me anyway) and  
2. Not to have time to take any pictures (morning staging, then lunch, afternoon meeting).

The only "news" I can share, is that if there had been a Pershore pig competition, it would have been won fairly and squarely by a certain forumist who shall be nameless on the grounds of not wishing to embarass.  This person polished off a solid meal of steak and chips, with pud and custard after, still found room for cake in the afternoon, followed by evening bunfight and scrum chez nous.  The recipes for the puds chez nous (Blackcurrant marbled baked cheesecake and Pear and Walnut brownie) will appear, due to popular request, in the Cooks' corner in due course but will not be accompanied by photos as there was not much left.  
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Martinr

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
Diane, have you been smoking something? I was there all day and have no recollection of seeing anyone eat all that lot ::)

I did manage to meet David. Good to meet you face to face David. I was quite impressed that you recognised me from my avatar. I obviously haven't changed that much!

I also did manage to get my camera into the hall after being dragged away from the microbrewery before I'd sampled all the beers on offer.

So, on with the show.

First, Lee & Julie Martin's Medal winning large 6 pan.
From the 6 pan entry, Campanula raineri x pulla which would have got my vote for a Farrer Medal
Eucomis schijffii shown by Cecilia Coller
Thymus cilicicus, Lee & Julie Maertin again. How do they do it, how do they fit them all into the car!
Astilbe crispa Perkeo, Harry Roberts
Campanula fragilis, Eddie Spencer
Campanula fragilis, Paul & Jill Ransom
Campanula raineri Gothenburg form, voted best in show and shown by Ivan Pinnick who had travelled all the way from the Isle of Wight
Another view of the best plant in the show
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:12:41 PM by Martinr »

Martinr

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »
The next set starts by swinging from the sublime to the...almost ridiculous

Here we have Gypsophila aretoides caucasica with a single flower right in the middle of a large 30 cm cushion. Due to lack of competition this floriferous wonder got me a red sticker with its worst flowering performance in several years 8)

Next Eucomis autumnalis ssp amaryllidifolia shown by Bob & Rranveig Wallis in close up and then the whole plant

Androcymbium striatum, earning George Elder a cerificate of Merit

Lilium nepalense, Cecilia Coller

Calocephalus brownii, shown by Mavis Allenson

Olearia nummularifolia Little Lou, courtesy of Brian & Shelagh Smethurst

A mini arrangment by Dorothy Semple

veteran vet

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
A good start (I hope) to the pictures from the show. The campanulas looked to be in excellent condition, you have to wonder why a Farrer was not awarded again (not Pudsey or here), are the judges setting too high a standard, do we have to high expectations etc. It is always difficult to judge from pictures as to the 'quality' of the plants when condition etc as so important in making the final decision, what do others think?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 09:30:10 PM »
Here we have Gypsophila aretoides caucasica with a single flower right in the middle of a large 30 cm cushion. Due to lack of competition this floriferous wonder got me a red sticker with its worst flowering performance in several years

Ooh, er, Martin.... that does look a little odd.... perhaps you were getting a sympathy vote there?  ;D  I think I might have been inclined to pinch the flower offf an denter it in a one pan cushion plant, not in flower ..... you could have won there too!!

It is always difficult to judge from pictures as to the 'quality' of the plants when condition etc as so important in making the final decision, what do others think?
Yes, George, it is hard to tell everything from a photo, even the good ones we enjoy on the Forum, but it does seem puzzling that none of these very smart looking plants was thought worthy of a Farrer. ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martinr

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
The last batch now.

Small 6 pan, yet another well deserved AGS Medal for Cecilia Coller

Delphinium patens (?) ssp montanum shown by Joy Bishop. Sorry if I've got the species wrong, can't read my own writing

Campanula hercegovina nana which won the 80th anniversary award for Graham Nicholl

Arisaema fargesii, Diane Clement

Arisaema purpureogaleatum, Diane Clement

Last, small but probably the most exciting plant in the show was this Rhodohypoxis seedling ex R milloides shown by Colin Dolding. The flower form, size and colour were just stunning an dvery unusual. The photo does not do justice to the depth of the colour or velvet texture. It needed an armed guard to prevent many covetous exhibitors stealing it. I hope it multiplies well.

That's all. I'm off to charge the camera batteries for my hols.

Martinr

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »

Ooh, er, Martin.... that does look a little odd.... perhaps you were getting a sympathy vote there?  ;D  I think I might have been inclined to pinch the flower offf an denter it in a one pan cushion plant, not in flower ..... you could have won there too!!

No Maggi, best in one pan Caryophyllaceae all on its own, one pan cushion was a bit fierce. I couldn't bring myself to pinch it off.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:47:48 PM by Maggi Young »

Martinr

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
Maggi, slightly off topic. How do you get to do a partial quote from a post in grey. I can click the quote button but that gets me the whole post an dif I edit that it doesn't stay grey. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
I DO LIKE that Rhodohypoxis seedling.... I expect Colin is well pleased with that! 8)

Martin, I just  highlight and copy  any partial text I want to paste into the quote markings , from the box second right, above.....
How do you get to do a partial quote

But you can, equally easily, highlight and delete any text from a full quote...... six of one.... as they say..... does that help?  I've just edited your post to give the quote box.....

Hope the hols go well.  :D

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:48:36 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 09:51:49 PM »

I'm really sorry about two things:
1. Not to meet David N who did not make himself known (to me anyway) ..............  

Sorry Diane, but didn't bump into anyone I thought might be you. I bumped into Martin R just outside the plant sales tent as I arrived at the Show and he introduced me to John Dower and Brian and Shelagh Smethhurst. Sheila didn't recognise me anyway, I must look older than my avatar ::)

Lovely set of pics Martin.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »
Click on the quote then delete the bit you don't want, whilst leaving the word quote in square brackets at the beginning and slash quote in square brackets at the end. 

voilà

How do you get to do a partial quote from a post in grey. I can click the quote button but that gets me the whole post an dif I edit that it doesn't stay grey.

If you press quote on a message, you will see the coding, then press preview to check it's done the right thing.
Clear as mud

Martinr

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »
Thanks Maggi & Diane, the two explanations and a little play without posting have got my brain just about in gear.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »
Sorry Diane, but didn't bump into anyone I thought might be you.

Oh, bother, I didn't have my dark glasses on as in my avatar (nor Dolomites in the background, more's the pity)
Actually, I was probably in a meeting, I didn't actually have time to see the show, although I seemed to find time to relieve Robin White of more plants than I have room for  ;)  
Another time, I hope, David

Nice pix, Martin, thanks for showing them.  I like the Eucomis especially the first one, but I'm not sure whether it ought to be in a tin labelled del Monte.  And I just crave the Amdrocymbium - got the seed, won't germinate though.  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:05:32 PM by Diane Clement »

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »
Great report Matin !
What a load of marvelous Campanula !
Thanks for sharing !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal