We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - May 2009  (Read 91733 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Flowering Now - May 2009
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
Wolfgang,

the Ramondas are very special.  Are they difficult to keep?  I had only seen two before, in the Köln Flora, growing in deep shade on the side of a rock, in a crevice.  How are they from seed?  I may be able to get some from the Flora.
I don't know if this is any help, Jamie, but I had success by sowing fresh seed onto fine gravel with a well drained, but moist compost underneath. The seeds were watered into the compost and kept damp and slightly shaded. I have had no success with old seed. I had to leave the parent plants, which were quite mature, behind n England as I didn't dare fetch them bare-rooted (the requirement at the time) to Bulgaria. My mother still has them 2years later in troughs on her patio. She follows the 'Oh my god I've killed it' method of watering and waters when they look on the point of death. I was a bit kinder to them ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »
Here is my Embothrium lanceolatum  Norquinco Valley form now about 20ft tall. Pam thinks  it is an awkward shaped thing and doesn't want it but she keeps quiet when it is flowering. I know  it isn't an alpine  but it is something that you just can't miss

Ian - Your Embothrium is a heart-stopper.  Surely somewhere out there in the wild grows a form hardier than Norquinco that might grow in our climate.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Sinchets

« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »
If the ever do John- put my name on the list!
Flowering today in the woodland garden:
Arum elongatum (?)
Simon

Sinchets

« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2009, 07:16:32 PM »
Annuals in the rock garden- well sneaky little devils  ;)
Gilia tricolor F2 from 'Twilight', much darker than previous generations, with an annual Silene behind.
Simon

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2009, 11:56:16 PM »
In case anyone was wondering how late things are here ( :o)...
Adonis vernalis
Jeffersonia dubia
; the tag said "Ex. Dark Form"...?  (And I would have sworn I also had J. diphylla, but it seems I have two J. dubia instead - how did that happen?!?)
Paeonia tenuifolia 'Plena' and
Paeonia officinalis 'Anemoniflora' (posted only because they look interesting!)
Vitaliana primuliflora v. cinerea
Androsace carnea 'Alba'

Cohan, I have to correct myself - bristlecone pine (Pinus aristata) is not native here (guess I was thinking of limber pine); it occurs at high elevations in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and gets to 15-20m but is very slow-growing here; it was bought, not grown from seed.  Botanus is a decent source of fall bulbs though not for the more unusual species you will see on this forum... but one has to start somewhere!  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:57:05 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2009, 07:24:38 AM »
[Cohan, I have to correct myself - bristlecone pine (Pinus aristata) is not native here (guess I was thinking of limber pine); it occurs at high elevations in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and gets to 15-20m but is very slow-growing here; it was bought, not grown from seed.  Botanus is a decent source of fall bulbs though not for the more unusual species you will see on this forum... but one has to start somewhere!  :)

tks, lori--thats about what i expected of the pine..
i will  look for botanus, dont know it.... i actually want both things--the really exciting sort of species that i will probably buy in ones and threes (due to cost) and put in choice spots in the rock garden., and also look for in seed--i see those on beavercreek and similar fine lists;  BUT  i do also want some that i can buy in large numbers for more or less dedicated beds for some really satisfying spring display! i will even be willing to check places like walmart for the really cheap deals!
i guess maybe fraser's thimble farm is a middle ground? some hybrids, some species, and some good rates for multiples..

things are probably even later here--my pulsatilla are about ready to open flowers(the violet form, rubrum is still farther away!)-granted they have not been fully exposed since they are still in small pots and we have had cold nights....

Viola

« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2009, 07:32:25 AM »
It which rich mass of flowers astonishingly is lets oneself be seen by the fine weather this year. The Zwergrhododendren is a blaze of color by the colors, my bog the Cypripedien, Trillium Ramondia and much more flourish in the shade areas. The rockery full of flowers as well is. Particularly the Edreianthus start now to flourish and it always starts with Edr.serpilifolius. She would like to let participate by a couple of pictures

Karl

Moor, 08.05.09 047
 Moor, 08.05.09 051
 Ramondia nathaliae, 08.05.09 033
 Cyprip.calceolus, 08.05.09 040
 Saracenia flavum, 08.05.09 053
 Sax.paniculata, 08.05.09 030
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:30:58 PM by Maggi Young »
Karl-Austria

Viola

« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2009, 07:36:01 AM »
Additional photos of the rockery.
Karl

Dianthus microlepis 08.05.09 010
 Edreianthus serpilifolius, 08.05.09 005
 Edreianthus serpilifolius, 08.05.09 066
 Erig.scopulinum, 08.05.09 016
 Erigeron 08.05.09 015
 Globularia cordifolia, 08.05.09 056
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:31:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Karl-Austria

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2009, 07:52:40 AM »
Beautiful, Karl.  What a display!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2009, 08:17:31 AM »
Karl, I love the little creeping Erigeron, never seen or heard of it.
Does it self seed around, like many other small Erigeron?
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Viola

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2009, 08:38:20 AM »
Luit, Erigeron scopulinum does not make any self seed with me, it wanders on only quite slowly and creeps over stones and through rock cracks. Growth within 5 years approx. 30 cm.
Increase by dividing.
Karl
Karl-Austria

Sinchets

« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2009, 09:24:18 AM »
... but fascinating how everything is in such a rush to flower- Adonis and Paeonia all at once :)
Simon

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2009, 10:03:09 AM »
Luit, Erigeron scopulinum does not make any self seed with me, it wanders on only quite slowly and creeps over stones and through rock cracks. Growth within 5 years approx. 30 cm.
Increase by dividing.
Karl

It's true, 'patience is a virtue' and judging by your wonderful plants in your rock garden Karl the rewards are so much sweeter  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

John Mitchell

• Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
A few intersting plants in flower here today are Trillium luteum which we have just lifted from our peatwall and managed to split up and replanted in the upper woodland garden. The other plants that are looking stunning just now are Paris polyphylla alba which was collected in 1981 and is the original SBEC collection which each year does not disappoint the other collection from SBEC is P polyphylla var thibetica which grows to about 70cm and has a more open appearance to it then alba which is more compact. I have also stuck in P polyphylla var stenophylla which is one plant but is already about 90cm in height and the last which is one of my favorites is Paris japonica. Just for reference SBEC was the first expedition into china in 1981 which brought a lot of great material back.
John Mitchell Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh

Sinchets

« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2009, 01:19:15 PM »
Some lovely plants John. Were you on the expedition? What a dream job to have!
Flowering today on the edge of the woodland garden:
Dianthus superbus rubicundus (Sajan Mountains, Siberia)
Simon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal