We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - May 2009  (Read 91737 times)

Zdenek

• Zdenek's website
Re: Flowering Now - May 2009
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2009, 09:55:54 AM »
Olga,
I grow this Helleborus as H. guttatus. It seems be the same as your H. caucasica. Any coment from you or anybody else?

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »
Another comment on some of the pictures from the last day.... a couple of wonderful things I have never heard of before.... Helleborus abchasicus and Scopolia.  Both fantastic.  And those wonderful Meconopsis from Ian.  Absolutely wonderful.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »
Flowers and foliage opening in the mountains today  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

maggiepie

« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »
Well, I am out of superlatives.
Today was the first time I've seen this thread, the pics and plants are amazingly beautiful.
Thanks to everyone who has posted pics, I want everything! :D
Helen Poirier , Australia

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »
Two very good looking Penstemon John ... even that early in the morning !   ;)

Thanks Luc, I think the light is sometimes better in the early hours, before the sun comes up to give contrasting shadows. The photos aren’t very good using my daughters Samsung Digimax A5 camera – it’s not a SLR! I do miss the creativity you get with a SLR. My old one isn’t digital and I am hoping to invest in a decent camera system. I do like the look of the Nikon D90, but will have to wait towards the end of the year to get what I want, as I have been overspending lately on various items. My wife gives me that funny look – you know the one – the raised eyebrows, and pursed lips one!   ::)

Wonderful pictures from Olga but I really admire John's Penstemons as well. I used to grow a lot then gave up on almost all as they kept dying off, branch at a time and I couldn't see what was wrong or how to stop it but I'm trying a few again. I thought they were too dry but maybe they were too damp. They seem to do very well in the SW USA and in fact are native to those arid areas.

Thanks Lesley, I also gave up on growing them some years ago, until I read somewhere that when you buy a penstemon and get it home, the first thing you do is take cuttings no mater how small the plant is!
The P. rupicola shown in this thread started off as a cutting about September 2007, taken from a 4 year old plant that had started to turn woody and brittle, as if it had been in a forest fire! I don’t think you can do anything except start again with a rooted cutting. Watering, feeding, cutting back and offering a sacrifice to the Gods won’t save it!  :'(

The P. f. ‘Albus’ also started as a cutting taken September 2007 and was taken from the one shown on my website. The photo of the one on my website was taken about this time last year (2008). It now no longer exists; I dug it up just over a week ago, it put out a good show of flowers but only at the ends of some branches, it was very brittle and woody. 

I would think that the two I have shown in this thread will be at their best this time next year. In 2011 they will be on the way out.  :o
 8)
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2009, 02:16:42 PM »
The Meconopsis punicea perennial I have had since 2003 and it set good seed which Cyril has raised watch this space, cheers Ian the Christie kind
A truly perennial punice Fantastic!! That beats your beautiful pictures Are seedlings also perennial?
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2009, 02:20:15 PM »
The other good thing about Penstemons is that they come up like cress from old seed.
Flowering today in the woodland garden
Geum coccineum (from Goteborg Botanic Garden seed)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2009, 02:33:06 PM »
Would love to see it in situ your woodland garden Simon - the colour is so vibrant - does the name Geum coccineum come from the word coccineous as in Scarlet do you think ? Or maybe taken from the lady bug Coccinellidae ?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2009, 04:00:30 PM »
Be warned Simon and Robin ... it is a gorgeous colour, but it can also be a thug.  It has taken over an area of my rock garden and, whilst it looks beautiful intermingled with brilliant yellow geums and pontentillas, it will have to go.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »
Robin, I'll see if I can get a pic taken from a distance- it really is the kind of colour that stands out from a mile away! I have grown seed from several sources pretending to be Geum coccineum and they really pale in comparison to this one.
It is also in a place where it will need to be a thug to survive. It will be interesting to see if it mixes it's genes with the Geum rivale nearby  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »
I forgot to look at the label so the little azalea must remain unnamed at the moment.
The Anemone is ranuncloides semiplena.
Not all like this combination but it is striking I think
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »
I forgot to look at the label so the little azalea must remain unnamed at the moment.
Not all like this combination but it is striking I think
Göte

Göte

The Rhododendron looks like the lepidote hybrid called April Rose. Nice combination.

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Onion

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »
Göte,

I have the same idea as John. Rhododendron dauricum 'April Rose'. Flowers here in the area 3 weeks ago.

Uli
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2009, 12:03:34 AM »
Good advice about the penstemons and taking cuttings ASAP. I just have to accept that they have a limited lifespan and let them go when they're ready. They may be a little longer-lived from seed but it probably depends on the species. Anyway, they're such super plants, almost all of them, that they're worth another try. The large perennial types last forever it seems and I've had to cut back 'Garnet' and some others so I can still use the paths.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:12:34 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2009, 12:14:34 AM »
Göte,

I have the same idea as John. Rhododendron dauricum 'April Rose'. Flowers here in the area 3 weeks ago.

Uli

Uli - April Rose is not a dauricum but a cross of [(carolinianum Album x mucronulatum Cornell Pink) x dauricum v album] F2   Do they make labels that long?. The hybridizer was Gustav Mehlquist (a real character he was).  In full bloom in Halifax now.

Did you buy it labelled dauricum 'April Rose'?  I have to say I get very confused with hybrids in German catalogues. I got very excited about all the new Rhododendron concatenans "selections" in Hachmann's catalogue only to find out the were all hybrids.

best

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal