We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - May 2009  (Read 91755 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Flowering Now - May 2009
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »
Anyone knows who sells mucronulatum??
Göte

Göte

I can send you tiny seedlings of the dwarf form called variously Rhododendron mucronulatum 'Cheju', mucronulatum v. chejuensis, mucronulatum v. ciliatum and correctly as mucronulatum v.taguetii. It is dwarf and purplish with a beautiful thick trunk 10cm in diameter though only 30cm high after 25 years. It seeds about my yard, in the troughs and various pots.  Also have a pink tall mucronulatum of which I could send seed.

Just assessing some new dwarf pink ones with very red buds and one has opened a very clear pink. Still lusting for the dwarf white one selected in Japan.

johnw
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:15:51 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »
- and the rest

1. Aethionema schistosum
2. Leucanthemopsis pallida ssp. alpina - self seeding now (from Rafa)
3. Primula kisoana
4. Haberlea rhodopensis
5. + 6. Dodecatheon dentatum - very small!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »
Gerd, I can hardly believe there are so many treasures in the same garden I saw last year myself.
Your front door trough is really beautiful!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »
i can relate to kai's actions--i have a couple of cats that will follow me around, and of course if i am taking photos, they want to be at that centre of attention right in front of me! of course, their boredom threshold with what i am doing is probably much lower than kai's, so they soon wander off, and if they do sit on a plant, they are lighter!

As a puppy Kai did destroy a few plants – not many, and not anything special, but he very quickly adapted to what he could and could not do. He never digs in the garden and only does his business on the gravel pathway, which is easy to see, avoid and dispose of. There are a lot of cats in the neighbourhood, and before we had Kai I would regularly dip my fingers in cat poo when weeding, as they cover it with soil. Yuck!!  :o >:(

We just don’t get any cats in the garden now! If he does sit on a plant, it soon recovers, he just loves to be near me when I’m pottering in the garden, and I do love his company. He will often tell me he has found a frog or toad under a leafy plant by vigorously wagging his tail and making whimpering noises.  ::)

Wolfgang......I do love those Ramondas ; especially the R. myconii with the pink shading to the flowers.

8) 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:05:39 PM by Lampwick »
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Onion

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
John you are right with the 'April Rose'. But we put it too the Rh. dauricum Hybrids. As you mentioned we can it put to the Rh. carolianum Hybrids too. The problem in Germany is that this wonderful Hybrids of Rh. carolianum and Rh. dauricum are unknown to the nurseries, garden-center etc. They bloom to early and so only a handful of rhododendron collectors know more about this hybrids.

Göte we have a Rh. mucronulatum in cultivation. But as John mentioned it is possible that it is a subspecies or a cultivar.
When you are interested send me a mail. I will ask the headgardener for the rhododendrons what we cultivated as Rh. mucronulatum.

Uli
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2009, 10:10:38 PM »
A few in bloom at the moment.

Lewisia rediviva hybs.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2009, 10:16:08 PM »
A few more.

Weldenia candida.
Tulbaghia violacea alba
Iris babadagica
Iris reichenbachii
Freesia laxa hyb
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:25:25 PM by Michael J Campbell »

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2009, 11:13:26 PM »
Wolfgang Love those Ramondas

Michael is your Weldenia in a pot under cover ? Mine hasn't shown above ground yet  :-\

Here is my Embothrium lanceolatum  Norquinco Valley form now about 20ft tall. Pam thinks  it is an awkward shaped thing and doesn't want it but she keeps quiet when it is flowering. I know  it isn't an alpine  but it is something that you just can't miss
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2009, 11:27:50 PM »
Uli - You are so right, these carolinianum, mucronulatum and dauricum hybrids are wonderful. They are staples in the trade here, they always bud heavily and usually set few seeds.  There are at least 100 good ones here and very hard to choose a favourite.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2009, 01:30:08 AM »
Beautiful on all counts, everyone.  Michael, those Lewisias are just stunning!!!

Thanks all.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2009, 07:41:51 AM »
Such varied and wonderful plants growing in all your gardens...thanks for brightening up my day!  :)

Wolfgang your old stone trough with violas and ferns etc is really natural - a miniature snapshot - it's beautiful.
Cliff can we see more of your clematis alpina? Looking up in to the flower against the sky is a great shot.
Michael, your pink Freesia laxa with the maroon centre is a great combination and I like the simple form and your iris photos are very attractive.
Ian is that a copper beech behind your Embothrium lanceolatum?   The copper leaf colour behind sets the orange flower off a treat.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

wolfgang vorig

« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2009, 08:20:43 AM »
Hallo Michael,
Your Lewisien are a feast for the eyes.
Regard    Wolfgang

Thank all for interest my Ramondas
wolfgang vorig, sachsen, germany

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2009, 08:27:13 AM »
Such varied and wonderful plants growing in all your gardens...thanks for brightening up my day!  :)
Cliff can we see more of your clematis alpina? Looking up in to the flower against the sky is a great shot.

Many thanks, Robin - the only other shots I took at the time are posted here ...

Clematis alpina
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »
Wolfgang,

the Ramondas are very special.  Are they difficult to keep?  I had only seen two before, in the Köln Flora, growing in deep shade on the side of a rock, in a crevice.  How are they from seed?  I may be able to get some from the Flora.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2009, 09:26:58 AM »

Ian is that a copper beech behind your Embothrium lanceolatum?   The copper leaf colour behind sets the orange flower off a treat.

Yes Robin it is my neighbours copper beech planted on the boundary and overhanging our property. Lovely in the summer and good leafmould
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal