We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - May 2009  (Read 91810 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Flowering Now - May 2009
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »
Wow Magnar - some great plants there !
The Ranunculus is new to me... and beautiful !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2009, 10:18:37 AM »
Superb plants, beautifully captured, Magnar ... as usual.  Do you EVER fail to get blooms?   ;D

Ranunculus adoneus is the Snow Buttercup from Colorado - it is one of the plants at the top of my wish list (along with R. semiverticillatus and R. anemoneus) and I am so thrilled to see it being grown to perfection in northern Norway.  Congratulations Magnar.

Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Ray

« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
Does anyone here in Aus have the Anthyllis and can spare a piece?  I really like it, but have no idea whether it is here or not.  Otherwise, as Lesley mentioned for NZ, the only way to get it is to try to get seed of it?
Hi Paul,can't help you out with that and Aqis only allow A vulneraria. bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2009, 11:27:40 AM »
Magnar, thanks for the super pictures.
It seems Pulsatilla is slowly developing into a year-round flowering plant in this Forum  ??? :-\ 8)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »
From your link....... It's interesting to see the pics in that post of your garden too.  You do have some space, don't you.  Great to see the shots showing the full garden beds. I'd imagine they've changed a bit by now though?  Filled in a bit more?  And Oh, that glasshouse in the background.  :o

Paul here are some pictures, how it looks two years later.
After I made the first pictures yesterday, I saw the lawn and edges needed a cut.
Early this morning it was done (not by me!)  ;D, shown in the next two pictures.
Some plants are getting really big already, like Tanacetum haradjanii and Onosma alborosea.

Oh, and the glasshouses are not used anymore for plants etc. It's really a shame, but......

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:04:42 PM by Maggi Young »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2009, 11:54:52 AM »
A great Ranunculus, Magnar. Is it seed raised?
Cohan, yes I think you should get seeds from just one plant of Erigeron if there are insects around. I have a E.compositus- but I have had it so long and for so many generationsI am not sure how pure it is- the leaves and flowers look the same, but the plant is now much bigger- maybe 15cm.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2009, 12:59:10 PM »
Luit,

Wow!  All that space and so many wonderful treasures!!  8)

Magnar,

Fantastic plants.  That Hepatica, those Pulsatilla, and the Anemone 'Green Fingers' all have great "Wow factor" to me.  Excellent!!

Ray,

I hadn't even thought about checking the ICON database at this stage.  Still hoping that it is already here, as there are quite a number of things already here that aren't on the ICON database.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2009, 01:25:29 PM »
Smashing Green Fingers Magnar!  I must get ours in the ground, the flowers are quite pitful as it is grown in a pot and I was not very impressed with it.  Your shots certainly changed my mind, good to know it is a beauty.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2009, 03:13:24 PM »
Cohan, NARGS offers both wild-collected and garden-raised seed in the seed exchange... the list is vast.  I can't put my hand on my copy (nor download the list at the moment!) but there are usually ~5000 species/varieties of garden origin seeds, and a couple thousand species of wild-collected ones.   One does have to be a member though.  Lots of pulsatilla... from the excess seeds that were sent out to individual chapters after the exchange, I picked up 5 species.  The ones I've started have been easy to germinate, presumably as long as the seeds are relatively fresh.  (Deno implies that dry storage is fatal, eventually, however.)

Re. self-fertility of erigeron... Yes, most likely, since it's the norm and opposite is unusual...

It seems Pulsatilla is slowly developing into a year-round flowering plant in this Forum
Hmm, I've got some that are only developing buds right now!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:07:47 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »
Vitaliana primuliflora v. cinerea
Corydalis nobilis
Veronica bombycina ssp. bolkardaghensis
(x2)
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »
Superb plants, beautifully captured, Magnar ... as usual.  Do you EVER fail to get blooms?   ;D

Ranunculus adoneus is the Snow Buttercup from Colorado - it is one of the plants at the top of my wish list (along with R. semiverticillatus and R. anemoneus) and I am so thrilled to see it being grown to perfection in northern Norway.  Congratulations Magnar.

Yes, I saw R. adoneus, lots of them, mixed with Caltha leptocephala,  when we visted Colorado rocky mountains in 2000  :)
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Magnar

« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
A great Ranunculus, Magnar. Is it seed raised?

Yes it's grown from seeds, which I bought from Rocky Mountain Rare Plants 3 years ago.

Magnar

« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »
Smashing Green Fingers Magnar!  I must get ours in the ground, the flowers are quite pitful as it is grown in a pot and I was not very impressed with it.  Your shots certainly changed my mind, good to know it is a beauty.

johnw

It does very well in the open garden here, no problems at all. Growing bigger every year  :)

Magnar

« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »
Lori,

What a wonderful Vitaliana.. and C. corydalis nobilis is about to flower here too. Very interesting to see Veronica bombycina, it's new to me, I have a lot of seedlings from this spring.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2009, 06:55:54 PM »
Thanks Magnar, I have seedlings this year from Ron Ratko. Any idea how they cope with summer heat?
Lori, is the Veronica from EuroSeeds?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal