We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - May 2009  (Read 91826 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Flowering Now - May 2009
« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2009, 11:55:18 PM »
Helen,

Isn't the Aquilegia a cutie!  I used to have it years ago before I eventually lost it.  Such unusual flowers.  Was sold here in Aus at one point as A. 'Chocolate Soldiers', but haven't seen it available for years and years now.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2009, 06:50:07 AM »
Helen,
What a strong and handsome plant! I had this species too because I love the peculiar charme of the flowers - but my specimen were always somewhat weak.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #272 on: May 16, 2009, 07:47:41 AM »
Townsendia leptotes... please don't tell me this is one of the monocarpic ones!   :D
Polemonium confertum, developing buds...
Draba ventosa.

these are very nice, lori--when we were talking about erigeron, i was thinking about townsendias too--they just seem a little showier, florally; this one has nice foliage too--i dont have any yet, but was looking at some on beavercreek's list..
draba is also really nice..

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
Here's some flowering for me :
1) Iris hookeri
2) Penstemon 'Six Hills'
3) Oxalis 'Ione Hecker'
4) Primula flaccida (Thanks Lesley !!  :D )
5) Aquilegia 'Blueberry'
6-7-8-9 : All wonderful hybrids of Lewisia x rediviva - magic from Michael J. Campbell !! - and they're barely starting to flower Michael !!  :D :D

great set of blues and pinks, luc!
i keep looking at some lewisia hybrids ('little plum', i think) at a local place; i want to hold out for species, but this is the only lewisia available in the region, i;m sure...lol

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
Ah, what you need is a thicket of Gaultheria shallon, aka "salal".

Nice plant that it is, unfortunately G. shallon is 'breaking out' in SW Ireland & on its way to becoming an aggressive weed.  The same may happen or have happened in western Scotland, NZ & similar climates.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #275 on: May 16, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »
Luc, Aquilegia ‘Blueberry’ looks good- and ideas as to its parentage?

The plant was a gift from a friend Simon - no idea of its parentage -it looks very much like the A. bertolonii (not in flower yet - picture later) I'm growing just a little darker blue. 

If you're interested in seed, give me a shout.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

maggiepie

« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »
Simon, have you tried growing it since you have been in the mountains?

Robin, still no scent that I can detect. :(

Maggi, none as yet and rain forecast for the next few days.

Paul, it really is a cutie, I couldn't believe that the flowers are so tiny, not sure if it is supposed to be such a tiny plant? ???

Gerd, considering how small the plant is, the stems really do seem to be very strong,I will try and save seeds, these are the first of my aquilegias to flower so hopefully the seeds will be true.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »
Paul, Anthyllis montana is on our Bio Index so I'll try for some next season from the source mentioned above. Enough for us both maybe? A. vulneraria is here already and seen around occasionally but only in its scarlet form.

I currently have some seeds germinating from Ron Ratko, 3 so far of 14 species. I DO, I DO, I DO hope that the white Trollius comes up. PLEASE!!!

Cohan, even if the seedlist pulsatilla seeds don't come exactly true, every one is a beauty. I find in the garden that seed from white does make white seedlings, likewise reds from red, purples from purple etc, IN GENERAL, and sometimes the DEPTH or shade of colour varies. Species like alpine, vernalis etc come true (vulgaris seems to keep to itself) and wild collected seed is usually pretty true. But hey, don't you enjoy a lucky dip? And it's worth growing on a whole batch to flowering because especially with white, you will get some thin-petalled plants with weak colour and some with thick texture and solid, clean colour.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »
Ah, what you need is a thicket of Gaultheria shallon, aka "salal".

Nice plant that it is, unfortunately G. shallon is 'breaking out' in SW Ireland & on its way to becoming an aggressive weed.  The same may happen or have happened in western Scotland, NZ & similar climates.

I LOST MINE ??? over a couple of very dry years!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2009, 01:35:53 AM »
Anyone knows who sells mucronulatum??
Göte

Göte

I can send you tiny seedlings of the dwarf form called variously Rhododendron mucronulatum 'Cheju', mucronulatum v. chejuensis, mucronulatum v. ciliatum and correctly as mucronulatum v.taguetii. It is dwarf and purplish with a beautiful thick trunk 10cm in diameter though only 30cm high after 25 years. It seeds about my yard, in the troughs and various pots.  Also have a pink tall mucronulatum of which I could send seed.

Just assessing some new dwarf pink ones with very red buds and one has opened a very clear pink. Still lusting for the dwarf white one selected in Japan.

johnw
[johnw , just came across this post- glad to have the correct name now for the dwarf form .
 I imported a plant of it from Scotland some 35 years ago under the name Rh. mucronulatum ,dwarf form ,col. summit of Cheju Island , Korea , it is now about 35 cm tall and in autumn colour.
 Also grow the tall purple-pink one and the clear pink ./quote]
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2009, 01:40:52 AM »
Otto,

So does yours seed around the yard too?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2009, 04:28:33 AM »
Otto - There was also a named form from Warren Berg called Crater's edge that he collected on Cheju. The colour is a rosy purple which clashes with many other rhodos - halfway between R. keleticum and say R. pseudoyanthinum.  I'm not very good at describing colours.

The leaves of your plant are quite different than mine, mine are more rounded with no narrow pointed leaves and so seedlings are generally easy to sort from the tall type.

I will try to take a shot of mine tomorrow but it is just going over.

BTW I have crossed my dwarf one with many other lepidote species; so far x leucaspis  and x campylogynum Charopeum Group (now Scotian Bells) look good. Seems to be a good parent for hardiness but I would dearly love to have the dwarf white to cross with leucaspis.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
Cohan, even if the seedlist pulsatilla seeds don't come exactly true, every one is a beauty. I find in the garden that seed from white does make white seedlings, likewise reds from red, purples from purple etc, IN GENERAL, and sometimes the DEPTH or shade of colour varies. Species like alpine, vernalis etc come true (vulgaris seems to keep to itself) and wild collected seed is usually pretty true. But hey, don't you enjoy a lucky dip? And it's worth growing on a whole batch to flowering because especially with white, you will get some thin-petalled plants with weak colour and some with thick texture and solid, clean colour.

lesley,you're right, i actually wouldnt mind with pulsatillas-- they seem like a nice early season plant for here, so i'd be happy to have lots of them--the two i have are just from a local garden centre, so nothing special in provenance... i was just thinking in general of getting vague maybe hybrids from open pollinated seed of various things, not so much pulsatillas... good info that various species of pulsatilla remain more or less separate; also good tip to keep them all til flowering..

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
Sorry- I only grew Aquilegia viridiflora in the UK.
Another of my Geum (not coccineum) in the woodland garden. It starts off yellow and turns red- anyone any ideas?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »
Helen,

The Aquilegia was perhaps 20cm or so tall for me.  hard to remember exactly now.  Definitely diminutive though.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal