We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - May 2009  (Read 91723 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Flowering Now - May 2009
« Reply #450 on: May 26, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »
A brilliant combination in the campanula and the hieracium, Luit!  Your dicentra looks a great deal happier than mine too... (Imagine soft, west coast-grown foliage subjected to frosts and low humidity...  :-\   Oh well, it lives or dies.)
Lori, I was lucky to be at a nursery last week, where the Dicentra was grown in quantity, so I could take the best.
Have to leave it for a while in the pot because rooting was not optimal until now.
Afterwards I will plant it in a semi-shaded spot.
I believe that these Dicentra's are bred in Japan and that D. eximea and D. peregrina are involved.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #451 on: May 26, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »
Gote, I haven't found Cornus canadensis to be invasive either.... quite hard to get established, actually.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #452 on: May 26, 2009, 01:39:53 PM »
Göte

Another non-invasive is Diphylleia sinensis - a plant for space in the woodland. Blue berries follow.

I now grow Diphylleia cymosa having seen it in another garden and wonder how easy the berries are to germinate?  I hope I will get some as it is a small plant.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #453 on: May 26, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
It's very difficult to photograph even in the morning light because of the contrast in the sunlight on the bell, as seen in the group shot, but here are my efforts to show you how much it means to me  :)

- you managed it perfectly - even the light makes the photo so attractive!

Is there anyone who is able to name the species?

Gerd
Thanks for your encouragment, Gerd    :)   I think the species in my garden is Campanula rotundiflora  ::)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #454 on: May 26, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »
Brian,

I grow both Diphylleia here and they are wonderful...just now coming near to the end of their bloom period (with berries to follow). I grow them mainly for the foliage and can't speak to the germination question---YET...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #455 on: May 26, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »
It's very difficult to photograph even in the morning light because of the contrast in the sunlight on the bell, as seen in the group shot, but here are my efforts to show you how much it means to me  :)

- you managed it perfectly - even the light makes the photo so attractive!

Is there anyone who is able to name the species?

Gerd
Thanks for your encouragment, Gerd    :)   I think the species in my garden is Campanula rotundiflora  ::)

I think you may have meant C. rotundifolia, Robin.... but I'm not so sure..... :-\
Only the basal leaves of C. rotundifolia are round, the stem leaves are rather narrow and spikey looking... those on  your Harebell look to be more... well, leafshaped!!  :D   A contintental variant?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #456 on: May 26, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »
Campanula rhomboidalis would possibly fit more??
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #457 on: May 26, 2009, 05:43:02 PM »
Thanks for your comments Maggi and ID Luit - yes I looked at the leaves again and they are as Maggi says more 'leafshaped!!' (long, oval, pointed) they are now looking a bit bedraggled after a thunderstorm so I'm glad I photographed them in prime condition  ;D

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #458 on: May 26, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »
Some larger plants in flower today - Hemerocallis 'Brunette' with Geum 'Marmalade'. Silene fimbriata with Allium 'Purple Sensation', and more of the Allium along with the paler A. aflatunense and aquilegias. A new aquilegia to me which I am very pleased with - I like the faint whit picotee edge - A. rockii. Maianthemum bifolium (yes it can be invasive, but doesn't seem to be as bad as M. dilatatum or M. canadense ).
Nectaroscordum siculum at its best when just open, it can look tatty later even allowing for its 'fairy castle' seed heads. Lastly some self sown Dactylorrhizas amongst Limnanthes under my apple tree.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

akoen

• My homepage
« Reply #459 on: May 26, 2009, 07:24:39 PM »
Some pictures from me to.

Anemone patula
Bellevila romana
Paeonia obovata var. willmottiae x 2
Geranium farreri
Anne Karin Řen, west coast of Norway. USDA zone 7 to 9, not sure.
My English is rusty.
My seedlist
http://annesblomstersider.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=141

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #460 on: May 26, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »
Some larger plants in flower today - Hemerocallis 'Brunette' with Geum 'Marmalade'. Silene fimbriata with Allium 'Purple Sensation', and more of the Allium along with the paler A. aflatunense and aquilegias. A new aquilegia to me which I am very pleased with - I like the faint whit picotee edge - A. rockii. Maianthemum bifolium (yes it can be invasive, but doesn't seem to be as bad as M. dilatatum or M. canadense ).
Nectaroscordum siculum at its best when just open, it can look tatty later even allowing for its 'fairy castle' seed heads. Lastly some self sown Dactylorrhizas amongst Limnanthes under my apple tree.
Anne your colour schemes and plantings are really lovely - the allium with the aquilegias is my favourite and could have been from Chelsea !

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #461 on: May 26, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »
Some pictures from me to.

Anemone patula
Bellevila romana
Paeonia obovata var. willmottiae x 2
Geranium farreri

Anne Karin, first of all your view from your garden looks like paradise!  Secondly your Paeonia obovata photo is pure heaven  :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #462 on: May 26, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »
The standard of photos and the plants shown in them in ALL the threads of the Forum are just getting better and better.  :o There are so many super pix in so many different threads at the minute that I cannot cope with commenting on them all but I am really enjoying each and every one! 8) 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #463 on: May 26, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »
Hi Brian, I find it easy to lift and split Diphyllea when dormant never germinated fruits,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #464 on: May 26, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »
 I think the species in my garden is Campanula rotundiflora  ::)

Or rotundifolia?

Sorry, I see Maggi has already commented on that. I still think rotundifolia which has a distribution almost circumpolar, so variation is to be expected. I find that it has round(ish) leaves on the non-flowering plant but as it developes and the flower stems begin to emerge, the foliage along the stems and emerging from the clump, is finer, narrower, more "leaf-shaped" as mentioned above. Then after flowering it is again a round-leaved pad. Many running campanulas do the same. Think of 'Mist Maiden' for instance and even C. arvatica.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 09:32:28 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal