We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - May 2009  (Read 91703 times)

maggiepie

Re: Flowering Now - May 2009
« Reply #495 on: May 30, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
Brian, your aquilegia's spurs are amazing, what colour is the clematis you have growing with it, is it an integrifolia?

Mike, your clematis are gorgeous, I am hoping to get a flower from my Scottii this season.

John, I love your Ione Hecker Oxalis.

Paddy, the mountain laurel is absolutely gorgeous.

Gerd, your cornus is delightful, I wish I could grow them here.

Arisaema, your Meconopsis x cookei 'Old Rose' is lovely, is it difficult to grow?
I also really like the Meconopsis integrifolia.

Thanks everyone for such terrific pics, way too many to comment on but they are all appreciated.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #496 on: May 30, 2009, 12:08:38 PM »
Gerd; loevly pics! I wanted to ask, what kind of soil do you give your Rhodohypoxis?

Thank you! The Rhodohypoxis in the garden are growing in ordinary garden soil -
limefree in my region! They seem to be not very demanding concerning their requirements.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #497 on: May 30, 2009, 12:27:09 PM »
Gerd, your cornus is delightful, I wish I could grow them here.

Helen,
You can't grow C. kousa? I always thought of it as being one of the most hardy
flowering dogwoods.

Maybe I am wrong?   ???

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #498 on: May 30, 2009, 01:18:36 PM »
K. latifolia is native to an area with quite hot, humid summers and no amount of overhead watering can provide quite the right growing conditions. I've never seen a specimen here worth  a second look.

The mountain laurels do well here in Nova Scotia where summers are cool and hot humid days rare. There are some venerable old specimens around town. One notable plant was planted in the late 1880's and is now 12 ft tall by 15 ft across. It flowers heavily every second year without any care whatsoever.

Kalmia latifolia takes along time to settle in here - about 5-7 years, sometimes longer.  In the interim they can be badly burned, then suddenly they settle in and grow off without care. They are on the top of the menu for deer unfortunately.  They abhor poor drainage and in this area prefer a drier site.

johnw     - 2 lectures by Malcolm McGregor here in the last 6 days. Great one last night. Hard to keep up with him after 11 pm and a few pints, he goes a mile a minute.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #499 on: May 30, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »
2 lectures by Malcolm McGregor here in the last 6 days. Great one last night. Hard to keep up with him after 11 pm and a few pints, he goes a mile a minute.

Sounds like you have the genuine Malcolm McGregor there all right..... needs little sleep, can talk  ALL the legs off a table, never mind a donkey.....? Yup, that's the fella!! Give him my love!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #500 on: May 30, 2009, 02:22:56 PM »
the genuine Malcolm McGregor can talk the legs off a table

Maggi:  Well put.  They say he is a bit groggy on the morning but comes round fast.  The conversation takes many about faces, last night over beer with three other friends +MM:  Kew's rock garden and why it should be destroyed, high school sex manuals for NS schools, best hot pastrami sandwiches in NYC, Meconopsis pseudointegrifolia, Malaysian cuisine, English lumber available after the Great Storm of 86 shipped to Canada, reconstructing the Victorian greenhouse at Dublin BG, the merits of Annapolis Valley white wine, the Family Ericaceae, whipped cream versus creme fraiche, Rheum nobile culture, Thai poetry, many more now forgotten and on departure a 15 minute conversation with our anthropologist waiter at the Wooden Monkey on skeletal remains found on the Island of Flores and how pelvic bones there would fit structurally into remains found by the Leakeys. Head-spinning.  De-compressing at the moment.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #501 on: May 30, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »
Dontcha just love him? One of the few folks I know who can out-talk me ....it's very refreshing!  ::)
He should be a musician.... some sort of wind or brass instrument.... saxophone, maybe..... I'm sure he has mastered circular breathing. :-X
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:05:22 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #502 on: May 30, 2009, 04:53:40 PM »
A few things in bloom here...
Primula polyneura
Doronicum orientale
One of the first peonies in bloom here - an unknown seedling that came with a daylily years ago...
Dracocephalum nutans
Pulmonaria saccharata 'Dora Bielefeld'
Iris taurica
Polemonium pulcherrimum
Phlox subulata 'Emerald Blue'
Anemone nemorosa 'Vestal' - just thought this was an interesting shot!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

johnw

« Reply #503 on: May 30, 2009, 05:17:13 PM »
Dontcha just love him? One of the few folks I know who can out-talk me ....it's very refreshing!  ::)
He should be a musiican.... some sort of wind or brass instrument.... saxophone, maybe..... I'm sure he has mastered circular breathing. :-X

Malcolm was lucky to see a large and secret native stand of Cypripedium arietinum at its peak of perfection while he was here. Something I have never seen.

johnw

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #504 on: May 30, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »
Lovely images everyone.

Arrived back from an incredible and enchanting week in Olu Deniz (Western Turkey) this morning (of which much more later) to find Lamiophlomis rotata in flower in a 26ctm plastic pot in the garden.  A first flowering for me with this rare and beautiful plant.

Lamiophlomis rotata (Lamiaceae), a perennial medicinal herb, is endemic to the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau.

Lamiophlomis rotata (Three images)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:05:13 PM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #505 on: May 30, 2009, 08:40:56 PM »
The poppy is one of my own seedling, which I call 'Watermelon Tree', as it reblooms in late Summer with a branched scape of 6 or more flowers.  The colour is great in any case.  I am quite fond of these fleeting beauties and have a plant of Papaver bractescens that I simply cannot capture on film.  The colour is too deep a blood red.  It always comes out fuschia-red in fotos.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #506 on: May 30, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »
Brian, your aquilegia's spurs are amazing, what colour is the clematis you have growing with it, is it an integrifolia?

No clematis in sight Helen, the aquilegia was bought at the East Anglian AGS show - one of Cecilia Collers plants.

Jamie that 'Watermelon' is an absolute delight.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

maggiepie

« Reply #507 on: May 30, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »
This is my absolute favourite poppy, heck, it is my only poppy so far, this is its third season.
It flowers the first year from seed.

Papaver anomalum `Album`

Helen Poirier , Australia

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #508 on: May 30, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »
Jamie, is it an orientale Hybrid? It is very nice.
Just seen and pictured about 20 older (and some newer) hybrids which are in the trade.
Your flower color is very special.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #509 on: May 30, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »
Luit,

yes, it is an oriental.  It sort of appeared in the garden a few years ago from stray seed.  As I only have Papaver orientalis (seed raised plants in various colours) and P. bractescens, it should be from this group.  I had a thing for poppies when i first laid-out the garden some 10 years ago and simply got some seed from the RHS seed exchange.  Quite a few interesting plants have arisen over the years, but this is the only one that reblooms.  I had a beautiful ruffled mauve, but it disappeared one Winter.  Pity. Here a couple of others.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:12:08 PM by Regelian »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal