We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - May 2009  (Read 91696 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Flowering Now - May 2009
« Reply #510 on: May 30, 2009, 10:15:03 PM »
Zdenek's D. erinaceus is certainly true, and D. myrtinervius as pictured above, is incorrect. I suspect the picture is of D. deltoides, in two colour forms.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:24:01 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #511 on: May 30, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
Wim, your Dianthus in Reply 484 could be the little double called 'Pink Jewel.'
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #512 on: May 30, 2009, 11:13:36 PM »
Below is an overhead picture of it. It has been in this trough since the day I bought it; about 15 years ago. 
 8)

This is quite like the little hybrid called (used to be called) 'La Bourbrille.' I think it's spelt differently now. Or perhaps 'Tiny Tim' or perhaps 'Neywood's Pink.'

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #513 on: May 30, 2009, 11:21:52 PM »
Lesley, here is a picture of Dianthus plumarius Pink Jewel. I don't think it's Wim's plant.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #514 on: May 31, 2009, 06:37:52 AM »
Hi all, a very quick pictuire taken this morning I am away back to gardening Scotland Lilium oxypetalum insigne White form cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #515 on: May 31, 2009, 07:15:24 AM »
Lesley, here is a picture of Dianthus plumarius Pink Jewel. I don't think it's Wim's plant.

If Luit's pic is "Pink Jewel" than mine certainly isn't.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #516 on: May 31, 2009, 07:19:48 AM »
I have this one as Dianthus erinaceus (first time flowering this year):
Can anyone tell me if that is right?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

arisaema

« Reply #517 on: May 31, 2009, 07:40:21 AM »
Thanks, Gerd! I'm going to try them in a similar situation, granted your winters are probably drier than mine, but it's worth a shot.

Arisaema, your Meconopsis x cookei 'Old Rose' is lovely, is it difficult to grow?

Thanks, Helen! It's very easy here, far more tolerant than the big blue ones. Unfortunately it's more or less sterile, being a hybrid between punicea and quintuplinervia.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #518 on: May 31, 2009, 07:55:07 AM »
Hi all, a very quick pictuire taken this morning I am away back to gardening Scotland Lilium oxypetalum insigne White form cheers Ian the Christie kind

Very nice lily, Ian.
I had never seen the white form of Insigne before
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #519 on: May 31, 2009, 09:41:25 AM »
Thanks, Gerd! I'm going to try them in a similar situation, granted your winters are probably drier than mine, but it's worth a shot.

I don't believe that our winters are dry - like you we have a substantial influence from the sea, which means a lot of shifting between thawing and freezing (and rain).
But because Rhodohypoxis are multiplying very fast - why not try a part inside for security and another outside.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

maggiepie

« Reply #520 on: May 31, 2009, 10:07:34 AM »

Helen,
You can't grow C. kousa? I always thought of it as being one of the most hardy
flowering dogwoods.

Gerd

Gerd, from what I read C. kousa is hardy to zone 5/6 :(
Helen Poirier , Australia

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #521 on: May 31, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »
I have this one as Dianthus erinaceus (first time flowering this year):
Can anyone tell me if that is right?
Wim, this is the plant of D. erinaceus which I know is cultivated since long times in Europe.
I never saw the type which Zdenek showed here too, but it is very admirable.
I have my plant more than 25 years on an old, almost overgrown raised bed and it is always very
shy flowering.
As it is prickly, I presumed the name was o.k., but after seeing Zdenek's plant I'm rather...  :-\
I know that our plant nowadays is grown and sold in Holland by a nursery who grows them with lots of fertilizer
and I think your plant originates from this nursery.
On my pictures you see the whole plant which is about 20 - 30 cm Ø. Since I keep it rather poor it is flowering better.
I made these pictures this morning:

Dianthus erinaceus
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

arisaema

« Reply #522 on: May 31, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »
I don't believe that our winters are dry - like you we have a substantial influence from the sea, which means a lot of shifting between thawing and freezing (and rain).
But because Rhodohypoxis are multiplying very fast - why not try a part inside for security and another outside.

Not dry, just drier; the average annual precipitation here is 1700mm, last year we had 1800mm. I'll take a chance and risk them all - too many pots already, so I won't notice if they're gone ;)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #523 on: May 31, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
Wim, this is the plant of D. erinaceus which I know is cultivated since long times in Europe.
I never saw the type which Zdenek showed here too, but it is very admirable.
I have my plant more than 25 years on an old, almost overgrown raised bed and it is always very
shy flowering.
As it is prickly, I presumed the name was o.k., but after seeing Zdenek's plant I'm rather...  :-\
I know that our plant nowadays is grown and sold in Holland by a nursery who grows them with lots of fertilizer
and I think your plant originates from this nursery.
On my pictures you see the whole plant which is about 20 - 30 cm Ø. Since I keep it rather poor it is flowering better.

Thanks Luit,

I was sure my Dianthus was erinaceus also but it doesn't look like Zdenek's...  ???  :-\
I bought my plant three years ago from a nursery in Belgium and planted it in a new trough where it might have gotten a bit too much compost, I think the soil is getting poorer now so that must be why it has flowered for the first time this year.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
« Reply #524 on: May 31, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
This is a very long thread…..
http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/283/39997.html

……but do take a look at the 16th and 17th pictures from the bottom of this page.
They show Dianthus erinaceus; posted by Anthony Darby in October, 2006.

This is very much like my plant of D. erinaceus, (albeit mine is smaller!) the foliage and flowers are the same, and it is an extremely prickly plant. It is/was also the same as the plant on the AGS rock garden at Pershore some years ago.  ;D

8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:31:59 AM by Lampwick »
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal