We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calochortus 2009-2010  (Read 25869 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Re: Calochortus 2009-2010
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2009, 02:36:16 AM »
 One can't just put out a rabbit trap, in case someone wanders along and puts their foot in it.

You can try an ancient technique.  I remember watching a TV show in which
an anthropologist demonstrated rolling plant fibers between his palms to make
twine which he then made into a snare, placed on the ground with the rest
of the line up and over a branch.  I can't remember whether he had to hide
behind a bush and pull on the string when the rabbit hopped onto the snare,
or whether it happened automatically.

I just found a picture:   http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Skills/Hunting%20and%20Snaring/Snares/Rabbit%20Snare.htm
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2009, 03:21:59 AM »
Be veeewy kwiet, we're hunting wabbits!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2009, 11:01:43 PM »
I haven't been overly bothered by rabbits over recent years but this morning went to see if Haberlea ferdinandi-coburgi has been helped by the little bit of rain we had yesterday. It had, but all the foliage of the rosettes had been shorn off at ground level. A little further along in the same bed all the foliage had been stripped from Polygonatums humile, graminifolium and hookeri, the whole lot, just bare stringy stems left. It had to be a rabbit, though we had noises round the house last night that Roger thought were a possum.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

PDJ

« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2009, 12:26:08 AM »
A Friend of mine had a similar problem living in a built up area where shooting and traps were out of the question.  Throwing tennis balls at them every time they appear puts them off after a while.
Paul

West Midlands, England, UK

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2009, 01:44:41 AM »
you mean.... exercise!!  :o :o :o   Noooooooooooo!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2009, 09:37:08 AM »
Most Rabbit traps don't actually kill the rabbits you have to do that bit yourself so there isn't much danger to other wild life. Sometimes a hedgehog wanders in but as long as you check them everyday that isn't a problem. At the moment I am catching pheasants in them as they were doing serious damage to my Frit bulbs, a whole bed pretty well eaten before the snow came. Pheasant breasts for dinner tonight. Yummy
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »
Throwing tennis balls at them every time they appear puts them off after a while.

But they usually appear after dark and frequently at 2 in the morning. :o ???

Last night while still daylight (until about 10.30 at this time of year), Teddy saw off a huge black cat. I've seen it here a couple of times and knew he was aware of it but this time it came to the back door and started in on Cain's left over dinner. (He always leaves a little for the morning). Teddy exploded through the door and went at Olympic sprint speed down the back drive after the intruder. He didn't come back in for nearly an hour so I hope there's no mangled body in the neighbour's paddock. Not sure who the cat belongs to. but I'll keep an ear out for reports of missing pets.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2009, 07:47:33 PM »
Lesley,Teddy is a good dog,pet him for me and tell I said so. ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2009, 10:20:33 PM »
I'm doing it now Michael. I, like you, don't dislike cats and have had several over the years but I don't like their habits in the garden, among the seed pots and in the pile of potting compost. I only took to dogs when I met Roger 20 years ago. We had both for a while but lived on a state highway then and Diesel, my ginger cat was hit by a car. He was missing for a couple of days then I found his poor broken body where he had hauled himself at least 30 metres up to the house and taken silent refuge in a shrub. We took him to the vet but he was too badly injured and had to be put to sleep.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2009, 11:52:17 PM »
just looking at this thread now..
alplains lists 8 species, rated zone 4-6, some from fairly high elevations..
http://www.alplains.com/
ron ratko has more species, he doesnt give zone ratings, but by the elevations and latitudes, rather less hardy, i suppose--probably down to z 6, but not more..
i was going to check beavercreek, but the site seems to be down again..

edit: i got on to beavercreek, there are 5 or so species listed as seed, zone 3-4
http://www.rockgardenplants.com/seedcatmain.htm
and a similar number (not a the same) as plants, rated zone 4-5 with a question mark
http://www.rockgardenplants.com/plantcatmain.htm

so those that are growing them undercover in balmy places like u.k. and belgium--the protection is more from moisture than temperature? or you are growing more tender species from farther south/lower elevations?

i'm tempted to attempt them--but only the hardiest species, outdoors; how long is it from seed to flowering, typically? just a couple of years?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:00:45 AM by cohan »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2010, 07:01:17 AM »
Maybe three for some species.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »
Cohan, I have C.eurycarpus, nuttalii, venustus and kennedyi growing in frames outside. If I get them to adulthood my aim is to try a few outside. The first 3 were chosen becauseof their altitude/ zone rating and the last was a 'why not'.  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2010, 11:35:15 AM »
I have had a few Calochortus from Alplains seed. They do okay outside here in a gritty bed along with everything else. They don't come up and flower every year and tend to be a bit long and floppy. I bought quite a bit more seed this year to add to the others. The best year I had was when I had various types mixed up in a poly box unwatered in the greenhouse.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2010, 07:35:52 PM »
I haven't tried them outdoors here !
I'm afraid our wet Summer spells or our occasional equally wet Winters would get the better of them..  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »
.... and mine! :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal