We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calochortus 2009-2010  (Read 26998 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Calochortus 2009-2010
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2009, 10:20:59 AM »
Pat,

So they all only get morning sun?  What time does the sun go off them?  The best I could do would be a north east wall, which would get morning sun through winter and full sun through summer (the way tree shadows fall etc).  Does that sound like it might be worthwhile?  I'd never thought of Calochortus in a spot like that, but if you reckon it might work.  I can put a sleeper height in to give better drainage as well?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

arillady

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2009, 10:37:22 AM »
Gosh I did not mean only morning sun Paul. They get the brunt of the summer sun all day except when the sun is nearly setting. The rock behind them might shade them for an hour more than if they were just on the hillside. Just imagine an east facing hillside with a angle of about 30 degrees and the plants are halfway down this hillside from the horizon - maybe 2/3rds down the hill if I think a bit more about it. No trees within cooee - so it is exposed. I do have a bulb which was seed grown in amongst a few young eucalypts but that does not do so well.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »
Paul I am far from an expert where Calochortus are concerned - I just happened to find the right situation for them. The bed is slightly raised too. Learning by experience is so much more valuable.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
Pat,

Yes, but your climate is similar enough to mine to be helpful, and why completely reinvent the wheel when you can get some pointers from other people's knowledge.  ;D  When you mentioned easterly I thought you had meant it was facing that way..... but your comments have still lead me to think of a place I hadn't thought of, and the wall behind them might work similarly to rocks to reflect heat, while also keeping it a little warmer in winter so that it isn't quite as frosty for them (which I understand can be a problem for a few of the species).  Close to the wall will also keep it drier in summer..... in fact the wall I am thinking of is less than 2 metres from my crocus garden that has worked so well the last couple of years.  The wheels in my head are turning (you can probably hear the grinding sound like crunching the clutch in your car  ;)) and it could be interesting to see the results.  Thanks so much for your experiences of where you are growing them..... I'll let you know what happens with mine now.  ;D

Thanks again.  8)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:51:53 PM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

arillady

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2009, 08:48:13 AM »
Paul you are welcome to pick my brains anytime. We do get frosts here but they don't seem to effect the Calochortus - amabile, and luteus.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2009, 10:51:22 AM »
Pat,

Thanks.  I have luteus and a number of others grown from seed.  C. luteus is one I had for years that did well for me even in a pot.  I always loved uniflorus, and despite the fact it produces bulbils very easily I managed to lose it one year for some reason.  I keep meaning to replace it as I loved it's clean lavendar colour with the darker throat markings.  I also had that lovely amabile for a few years too, until it succumbed in a pot.  That is why the idea of a garden for them is nice, and I might just get away one it in that location.  ;D 
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ray

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2009, 10:58:16 AM »
A couple of Calochortus flowering now, C uniflorus and C elegans var nanus. bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »
Wow, Ray.  Both beauties.  The second one is so fuzzy!!  Very, very cool.  What conditions do you grow yours in?

See Pat, I told you that uniflorus is gorgeous.  I loved it's simplicity and the great colour.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2009, 11:47:45 AM »
Lovely stuff folks. Wish I could grow them as well as you all do in the upsidedown world ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »
Beautiful Ray ! Both beautiful !!  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

arillady

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »
Yes would be good to grow some of the other species - all mine seem to be yellow species.
Lovely Ray.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2009, 10:33:10 PM »
Ray your uniflorus is a deeper shade than the rather washed out one we have here. Lovely. And the fuzzy-wuzzy is a real delight. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ray

« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »
Hi Paul,dont do anything special for my Calochortus,just grow in full sun and apply water when in growth.

Hi Pat,no luck with your C uniflorus?
bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

arillady

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2009, 10:25:56 AM »
Ray the C uniflorus is OK - a leaf in a pot!
C amabile now has seedpods forming and C luteus in full flight
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »
Glorious, Pat !  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal