We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - June 2009  (Read 63658 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Flowering Now - June 2009
« Reply #390 on: June 29, 2009, 10:04:23 PM »
Luc,

So what sort of habit DOES it have?  

I like the 'Ragged Robin' dahlia too, perhaps because of that very "bad hair day" look it has. I have so many myself. :D

Paul, think Phyllis Diller on an even worse hair day. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #391 on: June 29, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »
From today:

Penstemon sp wild collected seeds from Utha. Received as P. opianthus, but in my opinion that cant ce correct. Any idea which penstemon it might be? Anyhow it's a fantastic sight at the moment.

Delphinium brunonianum,, ca 30 cm tall.

Castilleja rhexifolia.

Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #392 on: June 30, 2009, 07:40:05 AM »
That's a lovely pale form of D.brunonianum, Magnar. Much paler than I have had before. A real shame it always transmutes in D.'tatsienense'  :'(
Not sure about the Penstemon- maybe something like P.fruticosus. Though it is  a stunner. Lori may have a better idea.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #393 on: June 30, 2009, 07:54:08 AM »
Can't help you with the ID Magnar, but the Pentstemon looks fabulous...  funny, but I had never associated Utah with Norway.. ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #394 on: June 30, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »
Lovely pictures, Robin!  I wonder which verbascum that is?  (I really like verbascums, an interest for which I pay dues, i. e. much weeding out of multitudes of verbascum seedlings!)

1) Wonderfully bizarre colouration on Canna 'TropiCanna'
2) Helenium hoopesii (a southerly Great Plains native), which should have been blooming a month ago, with Salvia pratensis.
3) A beautiful thug, Phalaris arundinacea 'Feesey's Form' (which I have confined within a cut-off pot)
4) Rosa primula... not the best show this year; in better shows, it forms cylinders of flowers around the stem - interesting that it's hardy here.
5)  Salix x boydii, and Salix retusa.
6) Spiraea triloba
7) Rosa spinosissima
8 ) Echium russicum.

Lori, I love the two Rosa's and would love to grow either one here but note that you say that Rosa primula is questionably hardy  ::)  Is the Rosa spinosissima? 

The 'Thug' I used to grow backed by a yew hedge in dappled shade of a copper beech by the edge if a pond - each blade and head stood out perfectly and was very dramatic.

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the wild Verbascum here and am struggling generally with identifying plants (No site detailed enough that I can find on the internet - however thought I could do the research and make a local site for other non natives here - lovely photos available from people visiting but no ID  ::))  Still here is the whole Verbascum plant in case anyone has an idea of which one it is  :)  Much admiration for your HUGE knowledge of wild plants.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Sinchets

« Reply #395 on: June 30, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »
Robin, it could be Verbascum phlomoides- or at least that would be a good place to start looking for pics online to compare it with ;)
We have a similar one here that grew unexpectedly in a bulb frame.- it is flowering just now.
Simon

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #396 on: June 30, 2009, 11:45:33 AM »
Robin, it could be Verbascum phlomoides- or at least that would be a good place to start looking for pics online to compare it with ;)
We have a similar one here that grew unexpectedly in a bulb frame.- it is flowering just now.

The flower looks rather different, though, Simon - with definite petals as in posting 380 photo 01  - what do you think?  Thanks for helping to ID it  :)

Sinchets

« Reply #397 on: June 30, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
Sorry, Robin- I didn't mean we have the same species, just that this one was flowering for me now. Mine is less wooly leaved than yours seems and you are right the petals overlap. Out of interest how big in diameter are the flowers on yours?
Simon

Sinchets

« Reply #398 on: June 30, 2009, 03:54:08 PM »
Flowering now:
Incarvillea olgae (?) bought originally from a members' stand at and AGS show
Eryngium planum
3 Nepetas, of which I am not sure of names. They could be a mix of various ones I have had in the past, or hybrids of these. Sorry about the quality- but hopefully it is possible to see the lip shape etc..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:29:12 PM by Sinchets »
Simon

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #399 on: June 30, 2009, 05:04:23 PM »
Lori, I love the two Rosa's and would love to grow either one here but note that you say that Rosa primula is questionably hardy    Is the Rosa spinosissima? 

Robin, with my comment about R. primula ("interesting that is is hardy here"), I just meant that this climate (chinooks, unreliable snow, very dry) is difficult on woody plants, and when trying something that is not commonly grown here, it is always a pleasant surprise to find that it can survive without winter damage.  So, really, I think it is very hardy, as is R. spinosissima... I hope that's helpful, although I'm sure others here could advise better on how they may do in your conditions.   :)
(Re. my "knowledge" about wild plants, thank you so much for the compliment, Robin, undeserved though it is!  I'm trying to learn, slowly, painfully, at any rate.  I'm chagrined to realize how little I know compared to the assemblage of experts here! Wow!)
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #400 on: June 30, 2009, 05:22:36 PM »
Here's Anomatheca laxa 'Joan Evans' (or maybe it's a Freesia these days?) that Chris Boulby sent me bulbils of probably in 2008. Do you remember Chris, the first lot you sent were crushed in the post and you sent me some more?

I have two pots and one of them I'm going to try outside in a south(ish) facing rock bed I'm making as I've so enjoyed the summer flowering rock beds that Simon and Luc and others have posted this year.

Sorry about the quality of picture two.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Sinchets

« Reply #401 on: June 30, 2009, 06:02:55 PM »
Good on ya, David. You never know until you try.  :)
Simon

Darren

« Reply #402 on: June 30, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »
Lovely pictures everyone. It is wonderful that this forum attracts members from all over the world and we can share knowledge of our local plants with those trying to grow them as imports. On this note - thank you Paul for your comments on the Diplarrhena. Thanks also for the offers of help with the Mac.

I've had good germination of something alleged to be Dephinum brunonianum (exchange seed) this year Magnar. Even though it possibly won't be the real thing I hope it is as nice as your plant is.

Lori - Thanks for the Salix pictures. I love these little willowsw. This week's heatwave has scorched my S. herbacea badly but then it is a polar species really. It will probably recover. I'd like the monograph on the genus but it is probably full of the big trees which, whilst interesting, are impractical in a suburban garden! Bonsai perhaps?

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #403 on: June 30, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
Lori, I love the two Rosa's and would love to grow either one here but note that you say that Rosa primula is questionably hardy    Is the Rosa spinosissima? 

Robin, with my comment about R. primula ("interesting that is is hardy here"), I just meant that this climate (chinooks, unreliable snow, very dry) is difficult on woody plants, and when trying something that is not commonly grown here, it is always a pleasant surprise to find that it can survive without winter damage.  So, really, I think it is very hardy, as is R. spinosissima... I hope that's helpful, although I'm sure others here could advise better on how they may do in your conditions.   :)
(Re. my "knowledge" about wild plants, thank you so much for the compliment, Robin, undeserved though it is!  I'm trying to learn, slowly, painfully, at any rate.  I'm chagrined to realize how little I know compared to the assemblage of experts here! Wow!)
Rosa spinosissima and its relaticves are very hardy and will take -30°C
The first pic is spinosissima v pimpinellifolia a low (less than 1 m) pink semi-double.
The best hybrid is an old Finnish one called 'Poppius' (exceeds 2m in my place)That is the one to the right.
The one to the left is 'Frühlingsduft' also very hardy.
Göte 
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #404 on: June 30, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
Sorry, Robin- I didn't mean we have the same species, just that this one was flowering for me now. Mine is less wooly leaved than yours seems and you are right the petals overlap. Out of interest how big in diameter are the flowers on yours?

About 5cm when open wide

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal