We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded Iris 2007 to 2009  (Read 110216 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Bearded Iris 2007 to 2009
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2007, 12:58:26 AM »
A few more blooms of Arilbred "Orb" have opened and warrant a pic!
31421-0

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2007, 02:39:55 PM »
They are lovely, Fermi !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2007, 03:00:48 PM »
Lovely Fermi, if only I could grow them!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2007, 08:20:52 AM »
David,
you'd have more access to this sort of iris then we do in Australia, but your growing conditions mean that they may require a bit of protection from the rain. A well drained raised bed is how I manage "Orb" here, it doesn't like potting mix!

Lesley,
you mentioned that you thought that the yellow and olive DBI might be "Forest Glade", heres' a top down look at it; see what you think.
31549-0

cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 01:42:55 PM by Maggi Young »
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2007, 11:46:15 PM »
That looks like it Fermi, although it's in the shape as much as the colouring. It tends to be a biggish flower, with quite long, drooping falls. Creamy background with the fall patch a colour sometimes described as olive-brown. Greenish, brownish.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2007, 09:19:44 AM »
Here's another look at DBI "Zounds"
32634-0

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »
Hello Fermi,

you surprise me week by week ;) with great pictures.
"Zounds" is a great stunner.
Best wishes
Armin

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2007, 11:33:30 AM »
Hi
Maybe a bit late but I am with Brian regading the tanned gingerbread man he had on his old picture. That according to all pics I have seen on it.
For now we only have ginger bread here but I hope that my GBM survived and will flower.

Fermi very nice irises just as I am planting new ones I see some lovely pics of them.

Lesley I think I prefare the japanese irises in older style with less flat flowers and more space between the petals but I think it is a matter of gettin used to.
Thanks for the telling the differences between the two dwarf groups. I have seen similar distiction but not understood it since it was in Hungarian but now I get it :)

First look at "zounds" was it is "too much", second was "ok" and third "cool" so I do not need much time to get used to some things :)
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2007, 02:52:18 AM »
It's the start of the season for the TBI and though we only have a few of the older sort, they are doing well and here are a few pics.
Firstly, another "old-fashioned" or "heirloom" type, received from a neighbour as "tall pale blue" and similar to the "Settler's White" in shape but taller.
32968-0

And then one of the named ones, "Silk Sari"
32970-1

32972-2

cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:29:45 AM by Maggi Young »
Victoria, Australia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2007, 08:14:10 AM »
What beautiful subtle colouring on Silk Sari!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2007, 06:09:57 PM »
What beautiful subtle colouring on Silk Sari!

Yes, it is charming!
Best wishes
Armin

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2007, 12:33:20 AM »
Thanks, Anne and Armin,
I like "Silk Sari" enough to leave it in the rock garden where it was planted by mistake! When we 'rescued' some pots from a nursery (which was going out of business) we didn't notice that it wasn't a DBI! It was in the same batch as "Bravita" which I posted earlier.

Here is what I think is a 'local' introduction, "Friedl", but I'm not sure who named it. It may even just have come from the garden of a lady by that name .
33004-0

33006-1

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2007, 01:33:07 PM »
Howdy All,

Finally got some pics uploaded and will start with the Irises.  I'll post some here, some in the beardless area, then other bits and pieces in the southern hemisphere threads etc (if I get them all done tonight!  ::)).  All of these are tall beardeds.

33015-0
This is Six Pack and is one of those that the purists may dislike (you can look away now!  ;D) as it has 6 falls and no standards.  Gives the effect of a japanese iris, with huge flowers like a plate.  I wouldn't be without it as it is such a wonderful colour and a really good doer.

33017-1
This is another that the purists probably hate.... Thornbird is the parent of many of the modern space ager irises.  To be honest, if it didn't have the dark horns I probably wouldn't grow it as it is a murky colour, but with the chocolate purple horns it is a very striking flower.  Then again, I like pretty much all of the space age irises with their extra appendages below the beards.  Another has opened today and I'll post pics of it when I get them off the camera.

33019-2
Life of Riley is an interesting blend of colours and has delightful tight ruffling all around the edges.  Also something we "had" to get as our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was called Riley (and called that because he'd have the life of riley at our place, so the iris name was even more perfect!).

Lastly for now is an iris I photographed at a friends place yesterday (Yes, she's offered me a piece of it)....

33021-3
Wearing Rubies isn't really done justice in the pic.  The colour is rather nice but the bright orange red beards stand out very strongly.

Sorry to take so long giving you some photographic support here Fermi.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2007, 08:31:11 PM »
Yes, right.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2007, 10:26:41 PM »
Paul I was about to say that the first is a japanese beardless iris but since You said it was not I had to blow it up and It was cool 8) :o. Maybe an apple with the taste of pear if You know what I mean but nice and interesting. Not heard of this untill You meantioned it before.
Fermi nice with all the irises rescued from the shop at good prices.  8) It must feel good with such good result  ;D Hope they will help You fill Your acre  :o

I also want to have iris season now. ::)
But I am planting new ones now so that is also part of iris season is it not ;D
Hope to see more of the lovely ones
kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal