We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded Iris 2007 to 2009  (Read 112275 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Bearded Iris 2007 to 2009
« Reply #510 on: October 28, 2009, 08:03:33 AM »
Ross, what a fantastic shot of your Sultry Beauty iris looking deep inside with satin-like falls - what a colour  :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #511 on: October 28, 2009, 08:50:12 AM »
Thanks.  High winds and heavy rain tonight.  Hopefully the Iris blooms cope
Christchurch, New Zealand

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #512 on: October 28, 2009, 08:53:11 AM »
Need to find the label on this one

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #513 on: October 28, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »
Both are beauties Ross.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #514 on: October 28, 2009, 10:21:42 AM »
Lesley I thought table and intermediate bloomed at different times (usually) am I right?
Both nice, do they smell?
It is easier to smell the tall ones and many do smell very good on a warm day.
Ross are all your dwarfs done now or do they overlap with the tall?
Here I feel that the tallones are quite a bit later than dwarfs and intermediates, but might be only the ons I have. This year will tell since I have planted quite a few new ones now. 8)
Great to see them here while we wait for ours.  8)

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #515 on: October 28, 2009, 07:46:46 PM »
I give David a nod - both are beauties, Ross.
Thanks for showing but can't help you to find your lost label nor have a cultivar name available ::)
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #516 on: October 28, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
Generally the smaller the bearded iris, the earlier it blooms. The talls are the last to bloom but Ross in is a slightly warmer part of the country (maybe :-\) so his talls are a little earlier than mine. They will be in full bloom now, in the North Island. November is their month down here.

Your talls are lovely Ross. I much prefer those clean colours to the many new vars which are streaked and blotched and look to be badly virused and maybe they are. Most of my new talls are single rhizomes and aren't going to flower but by next year they should be up to full strength, I hope.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #517 on: October 28, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »
Joakim, all the bearded irises, i.e. modern hybrids based originally on I. germanica I guess, are scented. I'm sure Ross's will be and my table and intermediate vars are perfumed too. Sometimes perfumed too much! It can be a bit cloying in a confined space.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #518 on: October 29, 2009, 12:14:06 AM »
At one point I used to be able to roughly estimate colour based on the scent.  Obviously not perfect, but I find that the basic colour types have distinctly different perfumes.  My favourites are the blacks, which tended to me to have rich velvety perfume, while some of the yellows smelled like cat urine.  One has to be careful which one sticks one's nose in.  ;D

Ross,

Your pictures are gorgeous.  Sultry Mood is a beauty.... love that colour.

Lesley,

I mentioned that I had bought another dwarf one over the weekend.... I checked and it is called 'Gigglepot'.  It wasn't in flower, but was described as apricot.  The pics I can find on the Net (not many) look like the name may not be right if the flower is apricot.  I just couldn't resist the name.  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #519 on: October 29, 2009, 12:24:31 AM »
A TBI called "Friedl" named for a local gardener in the Dandenongs
174828-0

174830-1

A MBI called "Devil's Playground" perhaps named for the film?
174832-2

174834-3

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #520 on: October 29, 2009, 06:07:08 AM »
Lesley I thought table and intermediate bloomed at different times (usually) am I right?
Both nice, do they smell?
It is easier to smell the tall ones and many do smell very good on a warm day.
Ross are all your dwarfs done now or do they overlap with the tall?
Here I feel that the tallones are quite a bit later than dwarfs and intermediates, but might be only the ons I have. This year will tell since I have planted quite a few new ones now. 8)
Great to see them here while we wait for ours.  8)

Kind regards
Joakim

Joakim, I don't grow dwarf bearded irises.  They generally don't spin my wheels (with some exceptions)

Paul, I agree.  I find there are scent trends associated with colour in the TBI's.  Although, I can't really define them.

I used to have Crystal Glitters which was off white with yellowish/brown stripes on the shoulders of the falls giving an overall effect of french Vanilla.  Incredibly floriferous as well and potently scented (sweet and creamy, like icecream).  I really need to find it again.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #521 on: October 29, 2009, 08:06:25 PM »
I have a very good nose for smells and find that even very subtle differences are detectable, so I'm probably going to start an argument when I suggest (just suggest mind you,) that the colour association has given a perceived scent different. One would EXPECT blacks to smell rich and velvety, and yellow (possibly) to smell of cats' urine. Likewise, an off white to smell of French vanilla ice-cream. I accept that you (Ross and Paul) DO smell these smells in these irises but I think it is the colour of the flower that produces the PERCEPTION of those smells. To me they're all pretty much of a muchness. :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #522 on: October 29, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »
Joakim, the table irises and intermediates do flower at slightly different times but as yet I haven't enough of either group to say when. One group is said to flower with the TBs and the other a little earlier. Minature dwarfs first, then standards then the medians then the talls. A good two months overall.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #523 on: October 29, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
Here are two more little ones and there will be more later today.

Jeweller's Art
174911-0

Sea Dancer
174913-1

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #524 on: October 29, 2009, 08:25:49 PM »
Lesley I think there is quite a big difference in the intensity of smell and with some you really need to sniff close to feel anything. Some are much stronger and a combination of nice flower and smell is a good mix. Just saw the post after I wrote mine and have the same feeling of the order but in Portugal it starts early and continue to June-July. The Portuguese cultivars / sp (intermediates) are very early in February and even before the dwarfs. They are also very strongly scented.

Regarding colour and smell I would say that often the yellow coloured ones smell more but very far from any cat that I have smell. Either You have bad iris varieties down south or great cats ::) . I hope for the later.

Thanks for the info Ross. I did think of North being warmer than south in "up-side-down" world but was not sure if it is so big difference that the early TBI and late dwarfs overlap. In Portugal they tend to be separated and even more so in Sweden. Maybe only my varieties.
Went around the garden of my mother-in-law today and the plants seem to do OK, but need some extra sand/gravel around the rhizomes.
One white was in flower but it was not at its best after wind and rain. I will have to see if this is a repeat performance or just a bonus flowering that will be as the plants have been disturbed or if that was next years blooming now.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal