We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife mid 2009  (Read 76138 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Wildlife mid 2009
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:33 AM »
Kees,

Nice pics.  So is your Skink in breeding health, or just been eating too much.  He/She seems awfully plump! :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »
 :D I thought the same thing Paul but hesitated to say it was overweight!

Here is a Grasshopper thing that also looks a little rotund and appears to have lost a back leg - the green is amazing and it's feelers remind me of a water shrimp - can anyone tell me what it's called?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2009, 07:46:33 PM »
A male bush cricket with a leg missing. :-[
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2009, 11:05:57 PM »
That's a jumping leg, so how will he get along? Just hobble around on the front legs?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2009, 11:08:52 PM »
Maggi will enjoy the weta Kees.She LOOOOOVES creepie crawlies. ;D

I do like the skink, so sleek with longnitudinal stripes. It will be very exciting if it turns out to be a new species, or even a new location for an old one. Do skinks lay eggs or have live babies? Either way, this one seems to be heading for parenthood. :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:11:19 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2009, 11:44:18 PM »
That's a jumping leg, so how will he get along? Just hobble around on the front legs?
He's still got another! ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2009, 12:01:50 AM »
So will he jump on just one leg?

Kees Green

« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2009, 02:22:35 AM »
Yes it was a gravid female, which is good news as when DOC and I went back to find more we only found 8 in total.
That cricket might not need two legs, some species are predatory so may just wait for its lunch to arrive, a species in Australia actually calls like a cicada and catches approaching male cicadas for lunch.
Lots of grasshoppers found in our mountains have only one hind leg, I expect they drop a leg when caught by a predator.
I will have to post a few more pics from my ventures, I have lots of creepy crawlies.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »

Although i get a view of the the Takitimu Range whenever i'm heading into/from town i have to admit i've only ever visited it's lower regions ---fishing recently and a number of years ago pig hunting.

Any interesting alpines sighted during your trips Kees ?.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2009, 08:38:40 AM »
A few wildlife or related sightings today.......

A couple of pics of a crested pigeon on our birdbath.  Finally managed to capture the green and purple in the wing feathers.... not that I've tried that many times.  Was pleased to see the colours right when I loaded them onto the computer.

A Crimson rosella in a tree at the ANBG today.

A couple of pics of one of the Satin Bowerbird bowers at the ANBG.  No sign of the resident male, who has apparently matured to full blue-black colouration this year, the first one to fully mature at the ANBG I have been told.

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
Great photos, Paul, I love watching birds bathing - the A Crimson rosella is very striking and the blue detail is eye-catching.  Are the male and female so brightly coloured?  Would love to see more of your exotic birds  :o
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »
Robin,

Male and females of the Crimson Rosella are pretty much identical.  This was a particularly strongly coloured individual, which is why I tried to get a photograph in the trees.  Some of them are just "cleaner" in colour, I think to do with maturity and dominance etc.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Kees Green

« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2009, 10:08:34 AM »
Dave, there were a few nice alpines on top of the Takitimu's, brought back a couple of branches of Hebe crawii, one for my garden that is doing really well and one for Robin Craw (who it is named after), others were Celmissia's, wipcord hebes and some interesting plants in a few wetlands. To be honest I am not the best on the plant names but will take some pics from now on for everyone. I like the Roulia's, scleranthus and other cushion plants in the alpine herb and fell fields, also the aciphylla and dracophyllums.
I was up in the St Arnauds a couple of years ago, some nice plants there, and cicadas hence why I was there, will like to go back there one day.
This summer I will in tropical North Queensland visiting my mother and doing some major entomological expeditions, not quite looking forward to the 35-40 degree temps and 85-100% humidity but it comes with the territory I guess, will take some habitat and insect pics for the forum.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2009, 11:05:48 AM »
Look forward to your future pics Kees.

Hebe crawii is one i don't know .

Might have to have a poke around up there in summer i think.

Cheers dave

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2009, 08:43:18 PM »
I've always used "rash" as the collective noun for ladybirds.

I've been advised by those in the know that the "official" collective noun is a "loveliness" - that is surely a reflection of the sentimentality of the Victorians! Me, I'm sticking with a "rash".
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal