We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife mid 2009  (Read 76128 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Wildlife mid 2009
« Reply #600 on: August 31, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »
Anthony, are there different forms of Shield Bugs? I have always had one or two in my garden but haven't noticed the markings on them shown in the pic?

I don't think you need worry about them David - by now they must all have drowned in your neck of the woods...  ;D ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #601 on: August 31, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
At the weekend, I recorded 8 species of butterfly on my Buddleias: Admiral 9, Painted Lady 2, Comma 1, Peacock 2, Small Tortoiseshell 2, Large White 1, Small White 2 and only my second Brimstone (at the far north of its range here and moving north).

Here's an admiral on Silphium perfoliatum:
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #602 on: August 31, 2009, 05:00:36 PM »
I wish the effort to plant Buckthorn (Rhamnus catharticus) and Alder Buckthorn (Frangula alnus) throughout central Scotland hadn't foundered! :( Its absence from Scotland is the reason the Brimstone (the original 'butter coloured fly') cannot colonise Scotland. I have one of each in my hedge, but there would need to be one in every 50 yard stretch of hedge from here to the Lake District to have any effect! ::)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:47:11 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #603 on: August 31, 2009, 05:27:59 PM »
What's the link, Anthony?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #604 on: August 31, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »
Going back to the sheild bug shown by Arykana 

From this month's RHS Garden magazine "New sheild bug gets a firm footing in Britain". The southern green sheild bug was first seen in 2003 feeding on tomatoes. Experts thought it wouldnt survive the winter but young ones have been seen every year. It feeds on soft fruits, potatoes and beans
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profiles0900/green_shield_bug.asp

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #605 on: August 31, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
Going back to the sheild bug shown by Arykana  

From this month's RHS Garden magazine "New shield bug gets a firm footing in Britain". The southern green sheild bug was first seen in 2003 feeding on tomatoes. Experts thought it wouldnt survive the winter but young ones have been seen every year. It feeds on soft fruits, potatoes and beans
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profiles0900/green_shield_bug.asp

Picture this scene from a radio station.... somewhere in the UK a few weeks ago.......... letter from listener..."I've got funny shaped green ladybirds in my greenhouse" ....Bulb Despot:"oh, dear, you've got Shield Bugs"...... two TV gardening celebrities... "we think these bugs are a new form of ladybird...."

:P ::) Give me strength!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #606 on: August 31, 2009, 07:24:19 PM »
Anthony, are there different forms of Shield Bugs? I have always had one or two in my garden but haven't noticed the markings on them shown in the pic?

I don't think you need worry about them David - by now they must all have drowned in your neck of the woods...  ;D ;)

Very true Luc, very true indeed! :( :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #607 on: August 31, 2009, 09:46:22 PM »
I wish the effort to plant Buckthorn (Rhamnus catharticus and Alder Buckthorn (Frangula alnus) throughout central Scotland hadn't foundered! :( Its absence from Scotland is the reason the Brimstone (the original 'butter coloured fly') cannot colonise Scotland. I have one of each in my hedge, but there would need to be one in every 50 yard stretch of hedge from here to the Lake District to have any effect! ::)
I have one of each in my hedge too! This hedge was planted about 20-years ago with a multitude of species found in old hedges in Southern England (as a little reminder of the old country) - inspired by reading the Collins book on Hedges and how you can age a hedge by counting  the number of species I instantly created a 1,000 year old hedge  ;)  Elsewhere in this area, Rhamnus catharticus has naturalised in a few areas. I had forgotten that Rhamnus was its food plant. The species' fortunes will depend then on whether Rhamnus expands its distribution further.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #608 on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
What's the link, Anthony?
I don't think there is a link. It was when Martin Feather was manager of the Butterfly House at Dobbies Garden Centre in Edinburgh 20 odd years ago and was meant to be for publicity. They had dozens of both species of buckthorn in 6" pots, which is where mine came from, and I know some were planted at the top of the hill at Embra Zoo (no doubt the area has long since been ripped up and redeveloped ::)). It all came to nought! :(

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #609 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:29 PM »
One of the Beechgrove Potting Shed Team, Donald McBean from Forres, is involved in a project to use sea buckthorn in large scale plantings to harvest the berries for medicinal and cosmetic purposes....  ironic  that, since in many places there are projects to eradicate the plants as being pests!  :-X
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:11:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #610 on: August 31, 2009, 10:10:28 PM »
The fire bug is wonderfully handsome.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #611 on: August 31, 2009, 10:42:44 PM »
One of the Beechgrove Potting Shed Team, Donald McBean from Forres, is involved in a project to use sea buckthorn in large scale plantings to harvest the berries for medicinal and cosmetic purposes....  ironic  that, since in many places there are projects to eradicate the plants as being pests!  :-X
The exotically named Wanaka Lodge (used to be a steading at Dykedale Farm, now converted to a dwelling) half a mile up the hill from me has some very vigorous sea buckthorn bushes. Not sure of the species (perhaps Hippophae salicifolia?), as along from my house there is poor specimen of the British Hippophae rhamnoides and it struggles.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #612 on: August 31, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
Where does the name derive from Anthony? Lake Wanaka is in Central Otago, New Zealand, and is the habitat of sometime Forumist Doreen Mear.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #613 on: August 31, 2009, 11:00:45 PM »
Is the Sea Buckthorn planted for Brimstones? I thought they needed ivy?

Kees Green

« Reply #614 on: September 01, 2009, 02:24:52 AM »
Poor bugs, always getting a bad name  :'(, could be why you guys have so little cicadas over there in Great Britain  :P.
I love bugs, It looked to me that there was infact an adult in that picture on the right hand side, the all green one.
This year I will post some pics of the fascinating cicadas I find on my travels, just remember that cicadas are also bugs and how could summer be summer without the chorus of the cicada.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal