We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife mid 2009  (Read 74938 times)

Hristo

Re: Wildlife mid 2009
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2009, 05:46:03 PM »
Cheers Ashley, patience, perseverance, luck, and alot of very bad photographs!
Anthony,
You are quite right and as such it is a Terrapin and not a Tortoise, oops, only seen 3 Tortoises this year then! Strangely I have no recollection of seeing its tail before it pulled into it's shell! The tail is the big give away I guess, still not complaining as this is only the second Terrapin I have seen in the wild!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2009, 08:44:27 PM »
The little bee thingy's into pebbledash as a building material. More lovely butterflies. I do appreciate these pics of northern species, that we never see here. Even the beauties in the Otago Museum's butterfly exhibit are tropicals so we still don't get the hardier types.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hristo

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »
Lesley,
Maybe Anthony could send you some!  ;) ;)
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2009, 01:44:30 AM »
He could send but I couldn't receive. No chance. Butterflies and anything animal-related is as much a no-no as so many plants. :'( :'( :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2009, 02:17:45 AM »
Robin,

I love the pics of your industrious little bee.  Please keep us posted as to the home extensions please.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »
Robin,

I love the pics of your industrious little bee.  Please keep us posted as to the home extensions please.  ;D

Today the entrance to the final insect-bee chamber has been sealed and she (I assume) is rather flightly as I'm watching her and whatever is inside is a secret  ;)  Has anyone any clues as to what is going on inside the 'pebbledash' housie?

(sorry for quality of BCU)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
She must be building little nest chambers, don't you think? It's not going to be easy for the little ones to break free, though, is it? As well as an egg, there must also be some food source immured with it in the chambers....... ???   Alll MOST interesting. :)

and:   142892-0  to you, Robin!  :-*
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:44:30 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2009, 12:45:21 PM »
Robin,

Probably in each chamber there is some insect that has been paralysed and an egg laid, or something like that.  It will hatch, eat and pupate before breaking out?  If fully sealed I assume it would work like that, as she can't feed it from outside after hatching.

If today is your birthday, you haven't put it into the calendar.  Happy Birthday from me also!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2009, 02:10:10 PM »
Thanks for the comments Maggi and Paul about the insect bee and am wondering how long before the little B will break out  ;) 
Also thanks for the Birthday Happys - gorgeous weather here today and lots of insects flying about in a most complex stacking system with no techology - glad to be on this planet ;D

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2009, 08:27:15 PM »
I concur with Robins comments about the weather, day one of three here in Switzerland has been glorious.  Butterflies abound and in the cool of the morniing a Swallowtail kept still long enough for a photo.  You will have to wait until I get home to see it :)  Adelboden looks like a good place to spend a day or two, flowery places aplenty,  Tomorrow I move up to Hahnenmoos pass ... just as the weather is forecast to turn thundery ... should be fun!
Oh and a very Happy Birthday from a fellow Swiss based forumist!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
Happy Hols, Tony!  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2009, 09:43:26 PM »
I concur with Robins comments about the weather, day one of three here in Switzerland has been glorious.  Butterflies abound and in the cool of the morniing a Swallowtail kept still long enough for a photo.  You will have to wait until I get home to see it :)  Adelboden looks like a good place to spend a day or two, flowery places aplenty,  Tomorrow I move up to Hahnenmoos pass ... just as the weather is forecast to turn thundery ... should be fun!
Oh and a very Happy Birthday from a fellow Swiss based forumist!

Thanks for your greetings Tony, and have a wonderful time in Adelboden, we were supposed to have gone to Italy but business has kept us here and I'm hoping for a holiday soon - although with the weather as it is every day is a holiday  :)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
I can appreciate the emotions displayed in the first two images (captured on a local walk on Friday).

... And the third image was taken on a trip to Edisford Bridge, near Clitheroe, Lancashire yesterday.

BUTTERCUP FRENZY
CLOSE ENCOUNTER
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:14:25 PM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »
Two more from the riverbank yesterday ...
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2009, 01:02:31 AM »
Lovely pics Cliff. Didn't you just LONG to go and scratch that wide expanse of tummy?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal