We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Repotting Galanthus  (Read 11867 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Repotting Galanthus
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 08:52:40 AM »
It's the prices in the snowdrop catalogues which affect the heart. Better to get swapping with forum members. The bulbs come free;  will always be of good quality and health and the contacts made are so enjoyable.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
It's alright looking at the catalogues, it's the paying that causes the pain :o
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »
I have just been de-potting Galanthus that were re-potted last year and have to do re-do the entire lot. I am now almost finished.  It is obvious there was too much rock dust in the mix last year - probably in the topsoil I bought.  Most pots dried out nicely but as luck would have it a few pots stayed moist deep down and things like ikariae - although I haven't positively identified it (long narrow necks) - have suffered and quite a few rotted.  

Next year as soon as the leaves look they are just starting to go dormant I am going to do something different. Martin touched on this recently and it was something I had entirely forgotten about.  A friend long ago had a cactus collection which he left outside all summer until late October, if they hadn't dried out by mid October he sowed a fast growing grass mix around the pot edges - the grasses dried the soil out and he moved the cacti inside and let the grasses die of drought, then he cut the grasses off. So I will do the same to ensure thorough drying of the snowdrop pots, maybe using fall or annual rye.

I am also lightening up the mix with perlite in the bulb zone (upper third of the pot) and placing large stones around single bulbs. Last year's bulbs with stones around them looked happy as clams and they almost seemed to hug the stones.

It seems obvious that whilst Galanthus don't appreciate long term dry storage in open air they store perfectly well if stored in dry sand long term without dessication.  

I'm using 3" square tall pots (5.5" deep) this year which require flatting as they are a tad top heavy.

I would be interested to hear of others potting mixes for bulbs  - especially Ian Y.'s - as I never seem to get it quite right for this climate.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:52:33 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 08:23:47 PM »
John,

You are one of many forumists who grow their snowdrops in pots. This is something I have done only once - with G. fosteri and I have since planted this out in the garden though the results would indicate I should return it to pot culture. Even with single bulbs, I plant them out immediately in the garden - no repotting year after year, just leave them to grow away for a few years before disturbing them again to spread them about a little.

This annual repotting seems to be such a chore and I see no reason for it when most snowdrops will grow very well in the open garden.

By the way, John, I lifted two large wheelbarrow loads of Harlequin Pink Fir Apple today - now, I bet that makes you jealous! I could hollow out a book, OK a big book, and send on a few.

Paddy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:36:13 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 09:57:42 PM »
With all the snowdrops I have I'd need a garden the size of a lesser moon. Evelyn Stevens has a lovely plot on Sheriffmuir where she can separate clumps of snowdrops by several feet. I end up having to turf something out before I can plant something new. :(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 10:11:30 PM »
Maybe after next year i have to make a new companyposter you can have them all on a square meter Anthony ;D

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
 ;D

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 11:36:36 PM »
John,

You are one of many forumists who grow their snowdrops in pots. This is something I have done only once - with G. fosteri and I have since planted this out in the garden though the results would indicate I should return it to pot culture. Even with single bulbs, I plant them out immediately in the garden - no repotting year after year, just leave them to grow away for a few years before disturbing them again to spread them about a little.

This annual repotting seems to be such a chore and I see no reason for it when most snowdrops will grow very well in the open garden.

By the way, John, I lifted two large wheelbarrow loads of Harlequin Pink Fir Apple today - now, I bet that makes you jealous! I could hollow out a book, OK a big book, and send on a few.

Paddy

Paddy - When you have a small city garden and don't want to mix up named snowdrops potting is the only way to go. I certainly would not want them to get mixed up, as you know they all look the same and seedlings are a problem too. The garden is clogged with ericaceous material and until the shrubs get moved south there is simply no room.  When time permits the drops will head south too.  

By the way I grew fosteri from AGCBC#96-1106  1/26/97 seed and it didn't like life in pots or the ground.

Plenty of pink fir apples in Nova Scotia thanks to a benevolent plantswoman you may have heard of.  The way they increase is quite remarkable. Knobby but the tastiest of them all.

Now to find that recipe, trusting Paddy's Plum is better than Patty's Plum.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:05:19 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
as you know they all look the same

John you will get drummed out of the Brownies (I think that's the right expression)  ;D ;D ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
Perhaps it is grown in La Jardine en Provence?

GoodGrief

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »
Having a moment of doubt...

Last year to keep moss, algae etc. at bay, I top dressed pots with sharp sand.
On dry sunny days I found this baked hard and become a bit impervious to water.

Earlier this year I started using course grit. But I find this really quite chunky being over 6+ mm.
With galanthus seed, I wondered how the poor darlings would ever emerge from under this weight.

Then I thought I was being clever by opting for chicken grit which is basically crushed oyster shells and much finer.

Now I'm worrying whether this might adversely affect the pH levels in the pots.

What to do?

Malcolm.

GoodGrief

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »
Last year I searched high and low to find deep square plastic pots. I eventually sourced them from http://www.kakteen-schwarz.de/

I'm planning to place another order for a batch of 9x9x13cm pots... no small feat in itself given my lack of language skills.
Had I wanted to order a bed-pan I might have had an easier time as my wife once spent 2 months in an Austrian hospital.

If anyone would like me to order some on their behalf drop me a PM.

Regards, Malcolm.

ronm

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Hi Malcolm,
Did you try www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk ? I get my deep rose pots from them. Admittedly I take the round ones. Why I dont know ! Just checked and they do have the square ones too. The Neva rose pots seem closest to your needs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:13:47 PM by ronm »

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 02:20:38 AM »
This is an incredibly helpful thread.

I am looking for pots too: 3" wide and 5" tall.  Does anyone in the US know where I can get this size?

Carolyn
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Mavers

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 08:29:47 AM »
Hi Carolyn,

This is probably not much help but sometimes here in the UK I've seen small clematis plants in pots similar to the size you are looking for. Maybe a US clematis grower may know where to get the pots you want.

Mike

Mike
Somerset, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal