We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Linnaea borealis  (Read 4197 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Linnaea borealis
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2009, 07:50:09 AM »
i was looking at plants in the wild (my acres and uncle's farm past that) the other day;  mostly only in bud right now, it has been  a very cool summer; the same as many other forest species this year, though, they seem to have heavier budding than last year--which again suggests that winter precipitation (not available til spring) and protection afforded by the heavier snow, is more important to the next year's flowering than is precip in the same year--
that means, that after the winter with lots of snow, and staying late, the forest plants are blooming more this year, even though the spring and summer have been dry, than last year when it rained a lot...

diane, i have never noticed fragrance, would probably have to lay on the ground to smell it... nearly have to for photos, but not quite...lol

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »
Magnar, the waffles sound tempting.
Do you have a generator?
If not, what do you use for lights and cooking etc?

More to the point, do you have a recipe? :) (see Cooks' Corner thread.)

Scent on the Linnaea? That's something to sniff for in the spring. I always welcome a new discovery for scent. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »
I once saw a hollow tree stump that was entirely filled with
Linnaea in bloom, and they were scented.  I had never noticed
this before when I had seen them in small patches in the open, but
the outer rim of the stump kept the scent from dissipating.
Yes they seem to like decaying (soft-)wood.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal