We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cooks' Corner  (Read 187305 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Cooks' Corner
« Reply #1245 on: October 30, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »
I think it refers to the eating thereof. I would use a cereal bowl and put a generous helping in, then pour over hot custard. I have yet to find a source of powdered instant custard.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #1246 on: October 30, 2011, 11:54:35 PM »
What, no Bird's Custard Powder there?  That reminds me that there's an ancient can of it in the cupboard, bought years ago as an ingredient for Nanaimo bars (which I find far too sweet these days)... have never cooked it up on its own as custard, oddly enough.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #1247 on: October 30, 2011, 11:54:56 PM »
Supermarkets have ready to pour custard,  in cardboard cartons, probably in the chiller section, and the powdered brand is Edmonds and should be in the flour and sugar part of the supermarket.

Susan
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:00:03 AM by Susan »
Dunedin, New Zealand

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #1248 on: October 31, 2011, 02:23:10 AM »
Ready-to-pour custard??  I'm forever amazed at what can be bought ready-made!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #1249 on: October 31, 2011, 02:32:22 AM »
Never tried it myself, but have seen it there.  What I cannot bear the thought of  is ready made hollandaise sauce......   Ugh!

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1250 on: October 31, 2011, 03:59:58 AM »
The Birds custard powder I've seen here is the "mix with sugar and make into a paste" variety that I remember my mother using. The Birds instant can be made by pouring boiling water (or milk) onto the required amount of powder in a Pyrex jug and stirring. The cartons of ready made custard are not great.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1251 on: October 31, 2011, 04:05:25 AM »
I've only bought the ready to pour custard once and it was so yummy that I haven't dare buy it again. It was for a Mille Feuilles type dessert and I couldn't be bothered making the Creme Patisserie (for which I have a super recipe). I think it could be had in chocolate and vanilla flavours. I bought the vanilla.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1252 on: October 31, 2011, 05:20:53 AM »
I've only bought the ready to pour custard once and it was so yummy that I haven't dare buy it again. It was for a Mille Feuilles type dessert and I couldn't be bothered making the Creme Patisserie (for which I have a super recipe). I think it could be had in chocolate and vanilla flavours. I bought the vanilla.
Vanilla. Aha. Maybe I should try a few different ones - in the name of science?

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1253 on: October 31, 2011, 06:14:27 AM »
We've just had some "trick or treaters" arriving at the door this evening. Vivienne was well prepared with three bowls of small Flakes, Crunchies, Mars bars, lollipops etc The children just come in and take some sweeties and go. Not like Scotland, where it is called Guising, and where each person tells a joke, sings a song or recites a poem. We had to sweat blood over what we would do when I was young. We also got our Dads to carve out turnips to make lanterns (pumpkins are much easier to carve, so this Dad had it easier - an example of reverse migration of ideas as pumpkins are American, whereas Hallow e'en has Celtic connections and the word is a Scottish derivative of All-Hallows-Even) but there appear to be no lanterns here.

Arykana

• cake maker supreme
  • International flower plunderer person
    • Fairy Garden
« Reply #1254 on: October 31, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
Erika, Shelagh means that your little Bacchus on the cake seems to have been drinking already, not waiting for the party to begin!
Oh, thank you for translating for me :-) Yes, they had wish a drunk Bacchus - so, it is turn out good :-) the party went well, the people do not remember how they came home  :o

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1255 on: October 31, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »

Oh, thank you for translating for me :-) Yes, they had wish a drunk Bacchus - so, it is turn out good :-) the party went well, the people do not remember how they came home  :o

Aha! A good party indeed!  ;D ;D ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #1256 on: October 31, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
Eve's Pudding sounds very good, but I don't understand the last part:  "Take a large dish add to it a very large portion of above and add loads of custard. Then do same again."  Are you saying it's served up in a bowl like a trifle, layered with custard, or is it just a recommendation on how to eat it?   (Sounds delicious either way!)

By the way, not sure if this is interesting or not, but 'Granny Smiths' are very commonly available here and have been for some decades.

Lori, what I meant was take a portion (a large one) from the baked pudding, put it in a bowl, slather (is this word used over there?) it with custard and consume. After consuming follow previous advice, with another portion, and then comes the sleep and washing up bit ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1257 on: November 03, 2011, 01:50:39 AM »
Anthony, Granny Smith apples are well known throughout New Zealand. I bought 5kg at my market last Saturday tho' they are getting past their best now. It's my favourite apples for pies, sauces etc.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1258 on: November 03, 2011, 03:12:26 AM »
Thanks Lesley. I've seen them occasionally.

maggiepie

« Reply #1259 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:45 PM »
Ready-to-pour custard??  I'm forever amazed at what can be bought ready-made!

Lori, I was amazed that I couldn't find any ready to eat custard in the deli section of the supermarkets here.
If my memory is correct, it is yummy.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal