We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus gracilis variance?  (Read 5121 times)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Re: Galanthus gracilis variance?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »
Paul , just came across your questions on G. gracilis today. I too only grow 2 forms of this
species , the one with the narrow ,twisted leaves [not yet in flower here] which I have been growing for at least 40 years, and another with broader leaves which was collected by
Erich Pasche in1995 ,of which he sent me seeds under No.HKEP9510.
 Though it is raining at the moment , I took a photo of it to send along. You can see the
vernation of the leaves = it is G. gracilis.
 Where did your broadleaved form come from?
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »
I've recently exchanged bulbs with a friend. She gave me her narrow twisted form, and I gave her one of the illustrated ones which are like yours, Paul. They only get to about 10cm tall though. Mine came from seeds collected by Vaclav Beburda in 1999, through a seed exchange.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
Otto,

It looks like yours has more elongated petals than mine (although that could of course be an age of flower relationship, mine have only just opened), and the leaved look a bit different too as far as I can tell.  Good stuff!!  8)  Mine came from a friend a couple of hours north of here.  I will contact them soon and try to find out where theirs originated from.

Anne,

Yours look much more like mine, although the lower marking on mine is much stronger (and less distance between the upper and lower marks as well).  Fascinating to see all this variation on what up until now I had only ever seen in one form.  ;D

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal