We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering now- July 2009  (Read 47773 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Flowering now- July 2009
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2009, 11:16:03 AM »
Was curious to see what your little chess man icon did Hristo and was surprised to see that
Christopher hasn't done anything new lately
  Can't believe this is true especially as you have a new Avatar which is very attractive but......I do miss your smiling face  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Hristo

« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2009, 12:17:17 PM »
Hi RR,
If you followed the chess-man you will have seen why I haven't been doing much here lately.
The GSM interent connection is so slow I spend much of my time sorting out sales on ebay, this is the time
of year when we hopefully earn enough money for firewood for the winter!
I do enjoy lifting the rhizomes and bulbs in the garden and beds, it's nice to see how things have multiplied, and
hopefully be able to create duplicate plantings to beat them pesky mice/voles/blackbirds/locusts/snails/caterpillers/fence climbing goats etc etc!
P.s...I have posted Pancratium maratimum in the Amaryllidaceae thread photographed during our recent seed hunting expedition to the Bulgarian/Turkish border.
Pps - have new face pic, will upload just for you! LOL  ;)
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2009, 12:58:46 PM »
Some wonderful things everyone has posted.  Some beautiful Salvias, in particular the bulleyana (love that colour combination, I didn't know they came in that colour.  :o).

I do have to question one thing in one posting though...... http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3784.msg102640#msg102640 ..... is the first one really Crocosmia 'Lucifer'?  I thought it was supposed to be red, not this orange colour?  Or is it just the camera's representation of the colour?  I just thought I would mention as if the colour is true, my understanding is that that is not that variety? ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »
I do have to question one thing in one posting though...... http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3784.msg102640#msg102640 ..... is the first one really Crocosmia 'Lucifer'?  I thought it was supposed to be red, not this orange colour?  Or is it just the camera's representation of the colour?  I just thought I would mention as if the colour is true, my understanding is that that is not that variety?

Yes it should be much redder than that Paul.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #274 on: July 24, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »
Lilium - purchased as 'R O Backhouse' - which seems to cover many forms and colours when googled!

Well, the only liiles registered with any variation of the name "Backhouse" ('Mrs. R. O. Backhouse', 'Backhouse Hybrids', 'R.O. Backhouse') are all martagon hybrids, which that one clearly isn't! 
I complain that we can't get the many desirable cultivars of garden plants that seem to be available in Europe, but at least lilies are quite easy to get here... and even accurately labelled, generally.  :)
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #275 on: July 24, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »
Some Gesneriaceae - with the exception of the Petrocosmea grown all year round inside

1. Petrocosmea flaccida
2. Sinningia eumorpha
3. Sinningia pusilla
4. Saintpaulia confusa

Gerd

interesting to see that you grow the african 'violets' also... i find the species very interesting...

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #276 on: July 24, 2009, 08:38:36 PM »
interesting to see that you grow the african 'violets' also... i find the species very interesting...

So do I - but it's not because of the 'violet' - it's because the Gesneriacea family is so interesting, especially the relicts which were found outside the tropics.
My only problem is - there are too much plants which I am interested in!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lori S.

« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2009, 04:38:45 AM »
1) Carduncellus pinnatus seedhead.  Oops, I just realized that this photo is a bit fraudulent!  The seedhead had broken off, and was laying in the path... I set it back on the rosette for the photo, before I collected it... but upside-down!   :o
2) I think this is Artemisia longifolia, starting to bloom... though not very noticeably!   ;)  (I bought it years ago as A. heriottii, an obsolete name for A. tilesii... a native plant... guess I'll have to try to figure it out.  ???)
3) Thyme and Dasyphora fruticosa 'Yellow Gem'
4) A native onion, Allium cernuum.
5) Campanula carpatica 'Blue Clips'.
6) Euphorbia griffithii 'Fireglow' - forms a very substantial bush here and provides good colour the whole season through.
7) Athamanta turbith ssp. haynaldii
8 ) Knautia macedonica, with flower spike of Verbascum eriophorum.
9) One little flower of Parnassia palustris peeking out in the acid bed... fascinating flower structure with "gland-tipped staminodia in united in 5 scale-like clusters opposite the petals" (Moss, Packer: Flora of Alberta) - hope it comes across in my bad, zoomed-in photo.
10) Salvia tesquicola (or S. nemorosa ssp. tesquicola, whichever it should be?)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 06:06:11 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #278 on: July 25, 2009, 05:25:19 AM »
Lori,

Wow, even the seedhead of Carduncellus pinnatus is cool!!  ;D 8)  Thanks for the lovely pics.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #279 on: July 25, 2009, 07:13:34 AM »
gerd--i understand this problem of being interested in too many plants! i only relatively recently heard of the hardy gesneriads, some of them are very interesting, not sure how hardy any would be here...

lori--nice stuff; Parnassia is flowering now in the wild here, though i havent been in the right spots to photograph much yet; we have something like the Euphorbia 'fireglow' here--some kind of fiery name...my mom had it planted between apple treesm where it is probably too shaded, and it has grown very straggly against a trunk, but amazes me with evergreen leaves...i need to move it or take cuttings...

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #280 on: July 25, 2009, 12:28:35 PM »
gerd--i understand this problem of being interested in too many plants! i only relatively recently heard of the hardy gesneriads, some of them are very interesting, not sure how hardy any would be here...

Cohan,
For sure we are not the only ones with this problem here!
To hardy gesneriads - I believe Ramonda myconi is worth to try - I never lost
one by frosts - even without snowcover.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lori S.

« Reply #281 on: July 25, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »
Of the hardy gesneriads, I grow Haberlea rhodopensis, and Ramonda myconii here - the evergreen leaves are prone to winter-burn in our low humidity and poor snow cover conditions, however; the Haberlea has been tougher in that regard.  Better gardeners than I grow Jankaea (though I know one uses winter covers over the more precious plants - not something I'm interested in doing).

Cohan, it's possible your mom's plant is one of the coloured varieties of Euphorbia polychroma, e.g. 'Bonfire' - very commonly grown species, and very attractive... (but all the larger euphorbia species I grow die to the ground here - not evergreen - so perhaps I am not guessing correctly?)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 05:04:15 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #282 on: July 25, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »
Some plants that are flowering here today, nothing really special but a lot of colour:

1) Agapanthus ...
2) Arisaema bathycoleum After having checked the plant in Gusman's book it seems this is Arisaema yunnanense var. yunnanense instead of A. bathycoleum
3) Echinacea 'After Midnight'
4) Echinacea 'Harvest Moon'
5) Echinacea 'Summer Sky'
6) Habranthus ???
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:54:07 PM by WimB »
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #283 on: July 25, 2009, 05:46:09 PM »
Of the hardy gesneriads, I grow Haberlea rhodopensis, and Ramonda myconii here - the evergreen leaves are prone to winter-burn in our low humidity and poor snow cover conditions, however; the Haberlea has been tougher in that regard.  Better gardeners than I grow Jankaea (though I know one uses winter covers over the more precious plants - not something I'm interested in doing).
Having seen Haberlea rhodopensis growing in the wild in the Rodopi mountains, I can ensure you it is a tough little cookie that can take bad weather conditions.
Flowering here now and I am not sure what to make of it is the plant I grow from seed listed as Senecio caucasigenus/pyroglossus. It looks so much more like an Inula to me. :-\
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »
A mixed bag from the garden this evening.
A beautiful Asiatic lily 'Dimention'
Berkhaya purpurea is just a lovely colour too.
Can anyone identify this Bomarea please?
This is our Crocosmia Lucifer, a bit more red I think than the other
Liatris spicata is a joy, I love flowers that open from the top downwards.
This Monarda has decided to perform this year, it has been in the same position for at least three, if not four, years and last year had one flower!  It must be the weather 8)
Here is a Pandorea jasminoides grown from seed, obviously there is a reasonable colour range as I wasn't expecting this dark centred flower.
Lastly Platycodon grandiflorum with a stray, no the name escapes me for the moment.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal