We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 10709 times)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Re: July 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 12:36:47 AM »
I had wondered if the earthquake might have knocked out her phone connection and pc :-\

Dear Maggi ,
 the earthquake did not have any impact on Duneden , so phone and pc working ok .
But -I just phoned [sunday midmorningour time] Lesley and Roger [Lesley's other half] answered: he had to rush Lesley into Hospital[Duneden] last monday and was operated on a
Hernia and an Ulcer . Lesley is well and should come in about 2or3 days .
 thanks to everyone who inquired re her inactivety on the Forum .

Otto.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:32:39 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 01:13:26 AM »
Oh my!  Please do extend my wishes to Lesley for a speedy recovery!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 02:25:01 AM »
I had wondered if the earthquake might have knocked out her phone connection and pc :-\
[Dear Maggi ,
 the earthquake did not have any impact on Duneden , so phone and pc working ok .
But -I just phoned [sunday midmorningour time] Lesley and Roger [Lesley's other half] answered: he had to rush Lesley into Hospital[Duneden] last monday and was operated on a

Otto.

/quote]
Hi Otto,
please pass on my best wishes to her as well.
I didn't think Lesley would let anything as minor as an earthquake keep her from the Forum! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 03:34:41 AM »
Thanks Otto.  Glad to know she should be OK.  My wife had a Hernia operation a year or two ago... not fun, but worth it in the long run.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »
Best wishes Lesley for a quick recovery - It is not the same without your witty and brain-teasing comments - we miss you on Forum  :(   but hope you'll be back in form soon  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

arillady

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 10:48:10 AM »
Yes I too hope that Lesley is back on the forum soon as she is a mine of information.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2009, 01:02:01 PM »
Here's a couple of pics for Lesley (And everyone else viewing) to enjoy when she gets back.....

Another pic of the Clematis napaulensis showing a selection of flowers on it at the moment.

Crocus korolkowii has opened today.

A couple of pics of Lapierousia oreogena, which has the most amazingly bromeliad-like (but tiny) scape arrangements.  Believe it or not when not flowering this plant has tiny thread-like leaves.  It only produces these wonderful scapes with the undulating leaves etc when it is flowering.  So cool.  I can take a pic from above if anyone wants to see the arrangement more clearly.  The reason that there are still weeds in the pot with it is that those little grassy stems you see there might possibly be from non-flowering bulbs (that is how fine they are) so I am not game to do any weeding in case I pull those leaves off.  I don't think the ones in the picture ARE (I think they're a grass), but without being sure I am not taking a chance. 8)

I'll probably post a couple of these elsewhere as well, but I wanted to put them here in the Southern Hemisphere topic too!!

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »
Best wishes Lesley, the seed packets and get wells must be piling up at the mailbox, Roger will surely need a wheelbarrow!

Made your Farm Loaf yesterday and wondered all day where you were.   Fifty percent of it was wonderful, we'll test the other half today  - 8.5" x 8.5" pan. I used fresh cherries and they worked well tossed in a bit of flour first.

We await your return with great anticipation.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
Spectacular plants, Paul!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »
I agree with Lori and love the wrinkle-edged leaves - it looks as if a thread has been pulled in the middle to make it happen  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »
Well, this explains why I got no answer from Lesley's place the other day! Hope she is soon back with us, fit and well.

Robin, I see exactly what you mean about the "pulled thread" look!

Were you out to see Le Tour today?? W'eve been looking for a woman with a weimaraner at the roadside!!  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2009, 05:02:19 PM »
May I add my very best wishes for Lesley to get well real soon !!!  ;)
We miss you Lesley !  :-*
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2009, 08:56:46 PM »
Dear Maggi ,

Otto.

good to hear she is ok, hopefully she will be feeling better soon!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »
Here's a couple of pics for Lesley (And everyone else viewing) to enjoy when she gets back.....

A couple of pics of Lapierousia oreogena, which has the most amazingly bromeliad-like (but tiny) scape arrangements.  Believe it or not when not flowering this plant has tiny thread-like leaves.  It only produces these wonderful scapes with the undulating leaves etc when it is flowering.  So cool.  I can take a pic from above if anyone wants to see the arrangement more clearly.  The reason that there are still weeds in the pot with it is that those little grassy stems you see there might possibly be from non-flowering bulbs (that is how fine they are) so I am not game to do any weeding in case I pull those leaves off.  I don't think the ones in the picture ARE (I think they're a grass), but without being sure I am not taking a chance. 8)

I'll probably post a couple of these elsewhere as well, but I wanted to put them here in the Southern Hemisphere topic too!!

very cool plant! i dont always like the SA undulate leaves, but i think because this one is so finely crinkled, makes it very interesting...

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2009, 10:27:24 PM »
Thanks all.  Glad you're enjoying.  I should have some more pics to post from the last few days soon. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal