We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 10718 times)

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
July 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
Here's a funny little fella in flower in the eaves of my greenhouse: Aristolochia macroura (spelling?). It reminds me of an Arisaema and / or Nepenthes - the 'pipe' is approximately 10 cm deep, and the tassel - approximately 60 - 80 cm long. It has quite a pong   :P  on close approach! Awfully cute though and well worth growing.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: July 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »
That is interesting Rogan, probably wouldn't be hardy here, even under the eaves.

Are you looking forward to All Blacks v. Sprinboks? Personally, I don't think the South Africans have much to worry about.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 01:10:03 AM »
Impressive, Rogan.  Definitely wouldn't survive under the eaves here unfortunately. :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 01:12:44 AM »
Oops! Posted this in  the June thread, so will re-post it here!
"White fever is in full swing here in the Southern Hemisphere! But let's start with a Leuco-jock: Acis tingitana,
149106-0

149108-1

The first galanthus elwesii is finally open; this is the one known as "Green Outer tips" which Marcus thinks is probably "Comet"; sorry for the poor pic - a bit rushed this morning!
149120-2

This DBI has been around awhile but I don't have a name for it; usuallythe winter flowers get frosted off but this lot just made it into flower during a frost free week!
149112-3

149114-4

Another correa making a splash is "Firebird"
149116-5

149118-6
cheers
fermi"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:16:47 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:21:17 PM »
I'm sure I know that little purple iris Fermi, one of the oldest inis around and known for its "remontant" or re-blooming quality, valuable for that reason. It'll come to me at 3am one morning!  :D

Those little Correas are super.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »
I'm sure I know that little purple iris Fermi, one of the oldest iris around and known for its "remontant" or re-blooming quality, valuable for that reason. It'll come to me at 3am one morning!  :D
Well, I'll be here to read it when you remember!  ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:23:18 AM »
Signs spring isn't too far away, Adonis amurensis and Scoliopus bigelowii.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:40:06 AM »
Wow, Doug.  Very nice.  My Scoliopus bigelowei was munched during dormancy by a cockatoo.  A full year ago.  When it hadn't surface I checked and found the whole crown munched neatly off, leaving the roots around it in place.  I am guessing it was a cockatoo as it was so neatly removed.  Was just starting to multiply too!  ::)  Such a tiny little flower, but so adorably cute.... I just loved it.  Never grown the Adonis though.  Thanks so much for the pictures.  Far more mundane things flowering here at the moment..... Galanthus, Helleborus, Dianthus, Camellias, Iris histrio, Crocus varieties and Hoop Petticoat daffs.  Nothing anywhere near as exotic as yours.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »
I'm sure I know that little purple iris Fermi, one of the oldest inis around and known for its "remontant" or re-blooming quality, valuable for that reason. It'll come to me at 3am one morning!  :D

I would like to know what it is too - when Lesley remembers  :)

How tall is it Fermi?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 08:48:36 PM »
Doug,

Two brilliant and beautiful plants. Two absolute dotes.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 09:56:09 PM »

I would like to know what it is too - when Lesley remembers  :)

How tall is it Fermi?

'Little Gem?' 'Purple Gem?' something like that. I may be quite wrong but I think it was an early hybrid from the late Jean Stevens, a brilliant iris breeder from New Zealand, who among other things, bred the first pink amoena, (white on top, pink underneath) from which all modern pink and white combos are descended. It was called.....wait for it.....keep on waiting.....

It should be about 30cms at flowering time Robin.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:59:06 PM by Lesley Cox »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 10:01:50 PM »
Doug you are much earlier than here, at least for the Scoliopus. Mine is never in flower before September though the Adonis is July/August. No sign yet though. It's been so jolly cold. We had a super day yesterday, warm sun all day and no wind but that has been the only nice day for weeks. Today back to heavy cloud and rain expected.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »
Howdy All,

A couple of pics taken in the last few days.....

Camellia quercifolia has it's first flowers out.  And don't the wattle birds (and probably other honeyeaters if the WB let them near it) just love it!!
Crocus imperatii ssp suaveolens is looking so beautiful.  The original of this picture has just got so much detail in it... strikingly clear.  One of those perfect detail type pics which are so hard to come by.  ;D
Eranthis hyemalis is a bit early this year, so far just a couple in pots
Galanthus ikariae
Lachenalia pendula always manages to flower outside despite the frosts.  I never have quite worked out how.  ???

I may post the Crocus in the Crocus area, plus I will post some Narcissus pics in the Narcissus area tomorrow morning (my time).  Getting late now. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 09:49:11 PM »
Paul, did you take this fabulous photos with your new camera?  I've waxed lyrical about your crocus in the thread you mention but the Galanthus ikariae photo is a strong contester  for 'great shot'  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »
Robin,

Thank you.  I got the camera in late March.  I just love it, although the auto-focus can be a bit of a pain at times.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal