We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Garten In Berlin Spandau  (Read 2919 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Garten In Berlin Spandau
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »
This garden is in Spandau, Berlin, and belongs for Mrs. Lüdke.  It was a fascinating experience.  Laid out in what resembles the English garden, with its rooms, it is the result of being able to aquire the gardens left and right from her original parcel in a garden community (schrebergarten).   I got many ideas from her work.  If my camera hadn't died, I would have taken a lot more shots!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

Re: Garten In Berlin Spandau
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »
And, now, the last three.  By the way, most of the plants are self-propogated over the years.  She had plently of small potted examples to take home!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:03:54 AM »
Jamie,

A very nice garden. Many thanks for posting your photographs.

Can you explain "Garden Community"?

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:06:50 AM »
A very nice garden indeed Jamie !!
Looking quite natural too !
Thanks so much for showing !  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Regelian

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »
Jamie,

A very nice garden. Many thanks for posting your photographs.

Can you explain "Garden Community"?

Paddy

Paddy,

this is similar to allotments in Britain and Ireland.  It was originally set-up for people without gardening possibilities, so they could produce some of their own vegetables.  Most of these gardens are governed by a club, generally with ridiculous rules about what one may and may not plant (many German clubs are run by control freaks, unfortunately!).  In Spandau, there are no such rules and one may create what one wishes, thus this amazing garden has been able to grow and flourish is the purist of senses. In Cologne, such a garden would be impossible.

Wish you all could have been there.  It was a real treat.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
Thanks, Jamie.

It certainly is a different development from the allotments here which are almost completely given over to vegetables. It is an interesting way for these gardens to develop.

Paddy

Hristo

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »
Fascinating Jamie, what a super garden and an interesting historical/social insight!
I assume at some point in the future this could all be returned to veggies?
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »
Here is a bit of information to "Schrebergarten"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotment_(gardening)#Germany
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

arillady

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:22:31 AM »
I was fascinated by these gardens when I was travelling by train between Paris and Sangerhausen in 2002.
I thought at the time that many people lived in apartments blocks in Germany and this was a way to garden - there were many backing onto railways - there was also one just up the road from the main office of the Europa Rosarium - it was called a kleingarten. It was also fascinating the way that many plants were grown on graves in the Sangerhausen friedhof (cemetery). Vistitors to the cemetery also had access to brooms, rakes and watering cans with which to care for the plants on the graves. I found my time in Europe uttely fascinating and so very different to Australia
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 01:06:20 PM »
Amazing, Jamie.  Some beautiful plants in there.  I love the Echinacea with the butterfly on it.... such a wonderful contrast.  Looks like a wonderful garden to visit, with all it's little hidden gems.  Thanks so much for showing us. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 02:07:07 PM »
Lovely set of pics Jamie, thanks for posting them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 03:10:29 PM »
Wish you all could have been there.  It was a real treat.

Jamie, thanks to you we have at least been able to have this flavour of a  lush and stunning garden.....and the Hemerocallis garden, also.... many thanks for sharing this with us.  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »
Hans,

Many thanks for the link. It is a system which was common here in Ireland when I was a child but then fell into disuse - people feeling affluent and not making the change from growing fruit and vegetable, out of necessity, to ornamental gardening as is in the garden shown by Jamie.

It is an excellent development, keeping the allotment ethos alive and putting it to the use most suited to today's allotment users.

Paddy

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:32 AM »
This garden is in Spandau, Berlin, and belongs for Mrs. Lüdke.  It was a fascinating experience.  Laid out in what resembles the English garden, with its rooms, it is the result of being able to aquire the gardens left and right from her original parcel in a garden community (schrebergarten).   I got many ideas from her work.  If my camera hadn't died, I would have taken a lot more shots!

wow! you would never guess the garden's humble origins! she must be very proud of her work..
there are community gardens in toronto (probably other large canadian cities also) but the individual plots seem much smaller...of course the intention is mainly for vegetable gardens, though some people do plant flowers..it may be an 'old' idea, but one which is gaining new popularity as people want to be more 'green', know where their food is coming from, and save money! and while community gardens are charming (i like the visual effect of the different tiny plots side by side) of course, having an end result such as this garden is one in a million--or less!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:59:09 PM »
Perhaps the one genuine reason that I would like to be 30 or 40 years younger, is that I would want to do something in NZ along the lines of the UK and now, I see, European system of allottment gardening. In Dunedin and around almost every town or city there is ample land which could be turned to this purpose and there are so many families or individuals who would like the chance to grow vegetables, fruits and flowers for their own use, especially in these recession times. It would just take a small bunch of people, a willing city council and some dedicated gardeners to start something of huge benefit to many communities. I've mentioned it a few times in what should have been receptive ears, but met with blank stares, for the most part.

In some parts of the far north, community gardens have been the means of turning to a productive life, groups of young criminals or others from highly disadvantaged backgrounds and there have been some lovely results. Why doesn't the whole world know and understand that gardening in its many forms keeps humanity strong and healthy in both body and mind?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:01:58 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal