We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lawn foliage now  (Read 3138 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Lawn foliage now
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 07:30:46 AM »
As mertensias are most unlikely to survive in most of Australia they are on our "Allowed List" so we could certainly try them from seed - if someone were to send them to us  ;) .
The most interesting escapees I saw in a "lawn" was in Oregon in 1997 when I went on a NARGS Winter Study Weekend and drove out to see the home of Boyd Kline, one of the founders of Siskiyou Nursery. As we got close to his place we noticed that the lawns mostly sported patches of purple flowered violets but at Boyd's the patches were pink! On closer inspection we found the "violets" were in fact Cyclamen coum which Boyd said was because the ants "stole" the seed and took it back to the nests which were in the grass!
cheers
fermi

wouldn't that be nice!
i was looking briefly at Mertensia today, trying to figure out if there were seeds (there must be on the thousands of plants with thousands of flowers past!) but i think i need more light and maybe  a magnifying glass to figure them out...the seed heads-if there are seeds in there--are very tiny, and not immediately obviously fertilised or not...

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »
The only 'weeds' I tolerate in my lawn are Cyclamen hederifolium and Centaurium erythraea. Everything else gets the 'weed & feed' treatment.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 01:28:21 AM »
The most interesting escapees I saw in a "lawn" was in Oregon in 1997 when I went on a NARGS Winter Study Weekend and drove out to see the home of Boyd Kline, one of the founders of Siskiyou Nursery. As we got close to his place we noticed that the lawns mostly sported patches of purple flowered violets but at Boyd's the patches were pink! On closer inspection we found the "violets" were in fact Cyclamen coum which Boyd said was because the ants "stole" the seed and took it back to the nests which were in the grass!

I saw precisely the same effect at the home of Brian Mulligan, the former director of the University of Washington's arboretum in Seattle. I asked a question of him: did he lime his lawn. The answer was yes.

While cyclamen are not obligate calciophiles (except perhaps C. purpurascens), they seem to do better with a reasonable supply of calcium. In the PacNW, the soils are so badly leached by heavy winter rains that they tend to be calcium deficient, and cyclamen do much better if limed.

Southern Oregon with its semi-desert conditions may be another story.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 08:04:38 AM »
Three more in my "lawn": Astrantia major, Bistorta officinalis and Lysimachia nummularia, all at one time in the past cultivated in the adjacent garden beds, removed and now trying to get back in again...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal