We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spring in Southern Hemisphere... with crocus! (July- September)  (Read 23315 times)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Re: Spring in Southern Hemisphere... with crocus! (July- September)
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 08:29:30 AM »
Ray , you are lucky to grow and flower Frit . euboeica , a species that has eluded me .
 Did you raise it from seed ? or would a bulb be available somewhere in Australia ?
 I would be grateful to know of a source .

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »
Wonderful Crocus Otto !!
C. gargaricus herbertii looks fabulous !!  :o  Too bad it's loosing it's vigour  :(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ray

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
Hi Otto,pretty sure that this Frit came from MH,but will check my lists and get back to you if I am wrong. bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

arillady

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »
Gosh there are so many lovely bulbs that it is hard to keep up with them all - well even a few of them. I noticed today that Iris willmottianna is coming up - it wasn't there last week I am sure. That is if it is correct.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Stephen Vella

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
Nice picks everybody, love those Crocus Otto.

Lesley nice Sedum, never seen anything like it.

This Eranthis is such a rich yellow and surprising scented like honey.

cheers
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2009, 01:10:04 PM »
Fantastic pics, everyone.  Stunning stuff!!  Otto, that C. tommasinianus 'Pictus' is amazing!  :o  What a colour!!!!!  And such a wonderful clump.  And the glorious Crocus varieties from Marcus..... I must ask about 'Chocolate Soldier' and the one before it when I order next year.  Both are just so beautiful.  Fermi, I love the B. cauda-felis..... I think it was just finishing last year when we were visiting.  Is it earlier than the normal yellow species?  Mine of the yellow are not obviously going to flower as yet, but there could be buds coming I guess as I haven't actually checked it to see.  Your cauda-felis is so much more substantial a flower spike though.  And some wonderful pics from Ray, Lesley (glorious Crocus, Lesley!!  :o), Stephen and Graham (my fellow Canberran).

Thanks for the excellent pics.  Thoroughly enjoying them all after 10 days away from the forum.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2009, 01:45:03 PM »
Glad you're back Paul, missed your posting and humour - I agree there are some wonderful crocus photos from the SH - how is your raised bed evolving?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Stephen , love the deep yellow Eranthis cilicica -and the clump of Leucojum vernum var.
 carpathicum . Is it from the bulbs I gave you years ago ? Can't understand why it is not more freely grown here in gardens ,as it is so easy in woodland and moist conditions .

Peter Leigh will be selling his glorious Hellebores onthe last Sunday of August here in the
hall of the Ferny Creek Hort. Soc. - he is setting up on the saturday afternoon, and I'm
allowed to pick out the ones I fancy : as at my age I do not buy any more seedlings ,
 which may turn out to be mediocre .He will also give us an illustrated talk on his trip
 to Ashwood and other nurseries in England and Europe this last February, which gave
him the opportunity to buy some really choice ones ,which are now being acclimaticed
 in a Quarantine Station .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »
Otto, that sounds like a fun event on 30th August for your Ferny Creek Hort. Soc. Hellebore Happening  :D Wish I could see that!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2009, 02:57:56 PM »
Otto, that sounds like a fun event on 30th August for your Ferny Creek Hort. Soc. Hellebore Happening  :D Wish I could see that!

What's keeping you Maggi ??  ;D ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »

What's keeping you Maggi ??  ;D ;)

I'm just not that strong a swimmer, Luc!  :-X

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2009, 10:02:04 PM »
I should have plenty seed of the sedum later in the summer. I'll put a note here.

These three are from yesterday, Narcissus 'Pirouette' is from Marcus this summer. I expect that it may reflex some?
156748-0

Another selection from E A Bowles, Crocus biflorus 'Myddelton Cream.' The outside is lightly washed with grey. Is this like yours from Ray Cobb, Otto?
156750-1

And what I have as Erythronium caucasicum, which is usually in flower by late July. It was from a local friend at least 10 years ago and she had it as seed from a Russian source some years before that. Each year I try to work out whether the anthers are the same length or different lengths, the defining thing, according to Ruksans, between caucasicum and sibiricum. Sometimes they're one, sometimes the other. :-\ It's quite slow to increase and has set no seed.
156752-2

156754-3

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
Lesley, BD has just passed on his way to bed..... nice E. caucasicum, says he.....  8)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2009, 10:27:53 PM »
Otto,
wunderful clumps of Pictus, "white" tommies and C. paschei :D

Lesley,
your sedum and clump of C. biflorus ssp. alexantri are superb! 8)
I just received corms of similar cultivar "Eye-catcher" and hope for enjoyable flowers next spring.

Stephen,
nice clump of Leucojum vernum var. carpathicum :o
Otto, I would be happy if I could say it is a easy... :-\ I lost L.vernum 3 times in my moist loamy soil - now I've 2 tiny clumps in my sand bed which seem to please them much better - just need to take care to hold off the cats to use my sand bed as toilet ::))
Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »
Otto,

What an opportunity!!!!!  :o :o  I'd be like a kid in a candy store..... I need a nice apricot, double yellow, double black, good strong single yellow, nice picotee.... I doubt he'd have any left to sell to anyone else by the time I'd finished going through them.  ;) ;)   ;D ;D

Hopefully you'll show us pictures of some of the treasures you pick up there?  I wish I could get down to it.... and to visit yourself, Tim and Fermi. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal