We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - August 2009  (Read 39419 times)

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Flowering Now - August 2009
« Reply #255 on: August 27, 2009, 04:02:24 AM »
Here's what Peter Yeo has to say about G. x 'Patricia':
Though there is no specific reference to "Patricia' in this regard, he does say, "G. psilostemon crosses with several other species to give sterile progeny", also that 'Patricia' is a cross between G. psilostemon and G. endressii, by Alan Bremner (ref.  Hardy Geraniums, Second Edition, Peter F. Yeo).

From that, and the fact that despite a long bloom period, I don't see any seed structures at all, I'm afraid it's not looking too good for seed collection...  :(
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
« Reply #256 on: August 27, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »
Hi Lori,
Thanks for all Your info re "G Patricia" this explain what we are looking for,have to be on the lookout in the future,there is a Gardencentre near Dublin we visit a few times a year,and find sometimes the unexpected and unusual  :o.
we have some in our collection, i try to get out today and get a few pics and post them later.
I have "G Psilostemon"growing,more easy to grow then to pronounce,but I would not like to be without the plant,it is doing everything a gardener would like from a plant,it is just sprawling true larger plants and scrubs,flowering non stop well into the end of the summer,coloring everything in the vicinity beautiful  :D
Have not taking cuttings lately,so i must think about that task next Year,or get some divisions,we would not like to loose our stockplant.
also G "Ann Thompson" G" Ann Folkart are good gardenplants I give them 9/10 suppose G" Psil is involved  there he.
OK talk again later,
Cheers,   ;)

Guy
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #257 on: August 27, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
Here is some plants from the botanical garden of Aarhus. There are lot of different species (many that I do not know), but not so many bulbs as I would prefer.

I stumbled over this botanical garden last summer and was pleasantly surprised as I hadn't heard of it before - nice rock garden and arboretum. Thanks for the memory...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #258 on: August 27, 2009, 11:59:37 AM »
Here is some plants from the botanical garden of Aarhus. There are lot of different species (many that I do not know), but not so many bulbs as I would prefer.
All plants are more or less hardy, they stay in ground through the winter, some with a little protection.
Poul

very nice to have such a garden close by for regular visits..

Yes, that is nice. I use the Botanic garden in several ways. First of all to learn new plants and get inspiration to my own garden, but I also use it as a reference when identifying plants and for finding the right habitat for plants.

And in the future I will try to remember my camera on my visits so I can post more pics in this forum.

Poul
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:08:41 PM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Geebo

« Reply #259 on: August 27, 2009, 06:47:54 PM »
Got the chance to get around today to get a few pics to share,weather is still awful rain and stormy winds.
I am not so sure about the naming of the geranium. ???will be back on it next time around.
Enjoy the pics,
cheers
Guy   ;)
Ireland , Co Tipperary

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #260 on: August 27, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
Geranium Patricia is really a beautiful plant. I have some groups of them and I made some pictures.
The plant are very rich flowering in June/July.
My plants are never flowering longer than mid August.
I checked today that there are some seed on the plants , so I don’t believe that they are sterile, because I find now and then some seedlings around.
I hope to save some of the seedlings, they have the appearance of Geranium psilostemon.

Here the pictures:
Geranium psilostemon
Geranium Patricia (group) and flower.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lori S.

« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2009, 12:30:19 AM »
Beautiful showy plantings, Luit.  The black center and guidelines are much more strongly pronounced on your 'Patricia' than on mine, which has more of a dark red colour replacing the black (see close-up)...

Guy, lovely plants!  I've tried 'Rozanne' a couple of times here but it has barely survived...  Would love to have the late blooming tricyrtis species, but they actually bloom too late here and get nipped or killed by frost!  (The couple I tried also seemed rather marginally hardy...)

Poul, terrific photos!  Great to have a good garden nearby to visit!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:15:12 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2009, 02:57:03 AM »
With all this talk of sterile hybrid geraniums, I have to sing the praises of G. 'Ann Folkard' with its lurid magenta flowers and yellowish foliage. Although the foliage greens up as summer passes, it never entirely loses that yellowishness.

One mature, well-established plant of Ann Folkard can scramble a meter or more in every direction; it only takes a few to make a big show!

I have it interplanted with a vigorous zauschneria, originally bought in a 4" pot as a dwarf form, but it's no such thing. "Pestiferous, ineradicable, but beautiful thug" would be a more accurate description. The combination of its strong vermilion with the magenta-purple of Ann Folkard is one of those color combinations that would give the shivers and the horrors to those delicately minded, pastel-souled gardeners who prefer delicate, color-coordinated, pastel schemes - but I like it, though it's accidental.

The one drawback to Ann Folkard is that it's not easy to propagate. When you lift and divide a clump of it, you don't get very many viable pieces. But since one plant can cover a big territory, that's not a very serious drawback.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lori S.

« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2009, 03:04:53 AM »
We are getting into the late bloomers now...
1) Kalimeris incisa 'Blue Star'
2) Campanula x 'Peter Nix'
3) A native that adds late colour to the grasslands, snakeweed, Gutierrezia sarothrae, with Carlina acaulis
4) Allium sikkimense
5) Campanula punctata with Geranium sanguineum var. striatum
6) Sanguisorba tenuifolia 'Pink Elephant'
7) Allium cyaneum
8 ) Dianthus amurensis (a better picture...  :))
9) Yucca filamentosa, now in full bloom
10) Dasiphora/Potentilla fruticosa 'Pink Beauty'
Lori

Lori S.

« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2009, 03:12:17 AM »
...zauschneria, originally bought in a 4" pot as a dwarf form, but it's no such thing. "Pestiferous, ineradicable, but beautiful thug" would be a more accurate description.
I hope the "ineradicable" part proves to be true here as well!  (I wouldn't complain if it was slightly thuggish here, either... the differences between zone 3 and zone 8(?), of course.   ;))  I'm thinking... with much trepidation... of moving my Zauschneria (now Epilobium) garrettii into more sun, now that the trees have grown.  I do enjoy it's late bloom and vivid colour - it's just starting here, and often goes well into October.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:46:24 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »
Babiana ambigua.....finally flowering for me
Christchurch, New Zealand

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Beautiful showy plantings, Luit.  The black center and guidelines are much more strongly pronounced on your 'Patricia' than on mine, which has more of a dark red colour replacing the black (see close-up)...

Guy, lovely plants!  I've tried 'Rozanne' a couple of times here but it has barely survived...  Would love to have the late blooming tricyrtis species, but they actually bloom too late here and get nipped or killed by frost!  (The couple I tried also seemed rather marginally hardy...)

It looks like you are having a different plant Lori??

The Geranium Rozanne grows near Patricia here and is a very good grower as is G. Jolly Bees (Probably the same as Rozanne?)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Geebo

« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2009, 10:10:50 AM »
More On the geraniums,
I am getting more confused with our Ger." Patricia" etc,so i did a Little research.
Luit, Your G."Pat" is sure different from lori`s post,I took some pict of my own plants in the garden and it is easy to see the difference in G."Psilost and G.Ann Folkard special on the size of the leaves,also show the flower difference with Your G."Pat" I think is more like G."Psilost also the leaves are resembling the same.
With regards to Daniel J Hinkley "The Explorers Garden" and his entry "Geraniums for Groundcover" (one of my bedsite books)He mention Ger."Procurrens" with a union to G."Psilost witch resulted in exceptionally garden worthy plants,perhaps the best known of the bunch is G."Ann Folk"He mention also the plant as sterile,a sister seedling from the same cross "Anne Thomson"possesses the nearly identical flowers and foliage but in a more clumping format,(what would answer Rodgers solution to get a more compact plant)but have to admit with Rodger about the outstanding quality as a garden plant.I would not be whitout it,and the don't dislike to get an occasional hairdo during there growing season,Ever try to take cuttings?
So maybe G."Patr" is one of its other sister seedlings??  :-\ ,not disputing X endressii. ::)

Cheers to all,
GUY  ;)

Ireland , Co Tipperary

Lori S.

« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2009, 04:52:42 PM »
It looks like you are having a different plant Lori??

Well, certainly different from yours, Luit.  Perhaps your "Patricia" is actually a pure G. psilostemon, given that the flower characteristics seem to match it - perhaps I'm missing a subtle detail, but I can discern no difference from your photos.  Since your plant is not sterile, as 'Patricia' is said to be (and which seems to be borne out by my plants), that may well support a mistaken ID also.  
Since the origin of 'Patricia', unlike so many hybrids, appears to be well-documented (see my previous post), I don't see reason to doubt its ascribed parentage or characteristics.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:01:12 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal