We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - August 2009  (Read 39009 times)

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: Flowering Now - August 2009
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2009, 11:13:51 PM »
Magnolias:
globosa,doltopsa,cathcartii,lotungensis,acuminata subchordata,rostrata, x weiseneri, laevifolia(3 cultivars), nitida, campbellii 'Charles Raffill', officinalis, officinalis biloba, sprengeri diva 'Burncoose', x foggii 'Jack Fogg', cylindrica, insignis, liliflora nigra, zenii, sargentiana robusta, delavayi, chevalieri, macrophylla ashei, grandiflora 'Exmouth', sieboldii sinensis 'Grandiflora', obovata, fraseri pyramidata, chapensis, maudiae, mclurei.
3 pallets of peat, a ton of sulphur, a backache, and 10yrs to learn how to use a chain saw.........
(PS Cassiope's make excellent compost  ;D)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:19:05 PM by Giles »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2009, 11:23:51 PM »
Magnolias:
globosa,doltopsa,cathcartii,lotungensis,acuminata subchordata,rostrata, x weiseneri, laevifolia(3 cultivars), nitida, campbellii 'Charles Raffill', officinalis, officinalis biloba, sprengeri diva 'Burncoose', x foggii 'Jack Fogg', cylindrica, insignis, liliflora nigra, zenii, sargentiana robusta, delavayi, chevalieri, macrophylla ashei, grandiflora 'Exmouth', sieboldii sinensis 'Grandiflora', obovata, fraseri pyramidata, chapensis, maudiae, mclurei.
3 pallets of peat, a ton of sulphur, a backache, and 10yrs to learn how to use a chain saw.........
Crikey..... busier than even I thought!
Had me foxed for a minute with the chainsaw comment, till I pictured scene ten years hence and all became clear! You could perhaps do some "judicious pruning" to avoid the worst excesses, though, eh? Say after nine years??  ;D

I'm shocked to the core by your cassiope compost  jibe  :o......go and wash your mouth out  :P.... that's fighting talk to an Eric lover like myself  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »
Magnolias:

Yikes, I wouldn't want to see the bill!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2009, 09:01:09 AM »
Giles,

Do you like magnolias?

Plenty of room for snowdrops underneath.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

joop huyslook

« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2009, 09:59:59 PM »
A Semperivum (?) from Greece

Looks like Sempervivum marmoreum. Typical for this species is the white margin of the petals.
Where exactly did it come from?

Arykana

• cake maker supreme
  • International flower plunderer person
    • Fairy Garden
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2009, 06:57:35 PM »
Thank you for the name  of my flowerfermides, I try to keep in my mind ;D

They are blooming now

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2009, 08:09:57 PM »
Arykana,

Brilliant colour, lovely flowers.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »
I went down to Edrom nursery with my mum today. She needed plants for the rockery I just built her; I needed plants for a trough. Phew! What a selection! 8) Too much choice! :o There were at least two plants in their new raised bed that I wanted but were not on sale. One was a very dwarf elm with leaves about 2mm long. The other, if my memory serves me correct, was Gentiana syringae, but I can't find it anywhere. Four hour round trip, but a superb lunch in the New Inn at Coldingham made up for it. I've never had so many scallops in a starter before! :P
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Darren

« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

Anthony - Edrom is great isn't it? I think Aberconwy sell that little elm - perhaps Tim could bring one up for you at discussion weekend time?

Some pictures from my garden over the last few days:

This first is a thank you to Ian Christie. You may remember giving me a tiny cutting of Rhododendron forrestii repens when we visited the nursery a few years back? Here it has produced a couple of unseasonal flowers. These are its first flowers too.

Next is Pelargonium endlicherianum. This grows outside unprotected even in our very wet winters. I bought it from Tim Ingram at Alpines 2001. Subsequent plants from wild seed were nicer forms but less hardy and died out.

Origanum Kent Beauty is looking at its best in August, as is Convolvulus sabatius which will be two meters across by the end of the season.

The sorbus is S. fruticosa showing its white berries and a hint of the spectacular autumn colour to follow. I love this plant - it came from Aberconwy nursery and has only reached 60cm high in 4 years.

The lily is one from Vietnam given to me by Peter Bland as a seedling. I think his stock came from Henry and Margaret Taylor? It has a lovely scent. I think I have seen it for sale as L. majoense but cannot swear to it.

The last is for Cohan - not an 'alpine' but one of the earliest Conophytum to flower with me . C.bilobum TS765. This species normally has plain yellow (or white) flowers. This clone with the very attractive red anther filaments is very attractive.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2009, 11:42:22 AM »
My Crinodendron hookeri is starting its second flush of flowers this year. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »
A few stalwarts flowering in the summer heat  ;)
Hibiscus aculeatus
Hibiscus militaris
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »
Hi everyone,
Some pictures from my garden over the last few days:

Next is Pelargonium endlicherianum. This grows outside unprotected even in our very wet winters. I bought it from Tim Ingram at Alpines 2001. Subsequent plants from wild seed were nicer forms but less hardy and died out.
The sorbus is S. fruticosa showing its white berries and a hint of the spectacular autumn colour to follow. I love this plant - it came from Aberconwy nursery and has only reached 60cm high in 4 years.
The last is for Cohan - not an 'alpine' but one of the earliest Conophytum to flower with me . C.bilobum TS765. This species normally has plain yellow (or white) flowers. This clone with the very attractive red anther filaments is very attractive.

thanks, darren,
that cono is really nice, flowers and 'foliage'
really like the sorbus too, and that pelly is long a favourite (long distance)

simon, good to have something going still :)
'rose of sharon' H syriacus was semi-common in toronto, and also at its best in mid-summer when most of the flowering shrubs/trees and roses etc had petered out..

Arykana

• cake maker supreme
  • International flower plunderer person
    • Fairy Garden
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2009, 06:51:44 PM »
Have anybody Queen Ann"s lace??

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »
Which one?
Down here, Anthriscus sylvestris is sometimes called 'Queen Anne's Lace' or 'Cow Parsley' (and it grows as a common roadside weed everywhere),
but I think Daucus carota is called 'Queen Anne's Lace' too.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2009, 07:23:12 PM »
Here, another endemic snapdragon from Spain.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal