We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering Now - August 2009  (Read 38965 times)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
Re: Flowering Now - August 2009
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Hi Jamie,

Merendera is an older genus that was recently sunk into Colchicum which is why I used the quotation marks. You may see a picture by Poul of 'M. montana' further up this thread (Aug 18th) as Colchicum montanum which is the current name. I think both species (pyrenaica & montana) are sunk together now too - am I correct anyone? It is entirely possible that they have now changed back again or been placed in the same genus as squirrels or otters or something. I can't keep up so I've kept the labels as they were when I got them in the expectation that eventually they will be correct again.... ;)

If you like these two you should track down Merendera kurdica, which is I think the loveliest of the genus but hard to obtain & harder to grow!

Cynical, Moi? :o

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Alstroemeria. It is only 10 months old from seed. A.hookeri sown at the same time flowered within 8 months. Now I've just got to keep them alive but I will keep them in pots for now.

Darren,

Your Colchicum/Merendera look great!
Is pyrenaica as easy to cultivate as montana?
I grow Alstroemeria in open garden without any problems except that it sets lots of seed, so if I don't do anything I have them everywhere!

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »
Darren,

thanks for the info.  I'll keep an eye out for any of them!  I love a plant with discrete charm, even if a bit difficult. I am planning another rockery-scree area for Iris and company.

Poul,

like you said, they do seed about once they decide they like it.  I have one plant that I've attempted to remove a few times, but it just comes back.  The main root mass is over 50cm deep in the ground and a very succulent, thick and massive matt.   If one has the room to let them run in the sun, they do make a wonderful display, but tend to die down into a real mess in mid-Summer.  Nothing's perfect!

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »
Please Lori, what is the name of the pink flower behind Gentiana dahurica on your pic ?
Regards
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2009, 04:07:13 PM »
If anyone is having a problem with Alstroemeria I can send some voles over. Judging by how quickly my seedlings vanished they have quite a taste for the rhizomes.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »
Please Lori, what is the name of the pink flower behind Gentiana dahurica on your pic ?
Regards
It's Calamintha grandiflora, Nicole - if it's of interest to you, I can collect seeds later?
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2009, 05:12:19 PM »
A.hookeri ... flowered within 8 months. Now I've just got to keep them alive but I will keep them in pots for now.

Protect against hard freezes. I lost a large established pot of A. hookeri last winter when I failed to include it in the fall roundup of "plants that need winter protection".
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:52:12 PM by Rodger Whitlock »
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »
oh yes Lori, it will be a pleasure to receive  your seeds later.
Cheers  ;)

Gunilla

« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2009, 06:27:55 PM »
A few photos from today. It has been a lovely sunny day :)

1-2 Codonopsis lanceolata
3    Aster macrophyllus 'Twilight'  - my favourite aster 
4    Euonymus planipes - a lovely little tree or bush
5    E. planipes seed
6    Clematis pitcheri
7    Scutellaria incana
8    Calendula officinalis - seeds everywhere but I like them
9    Pulsatilla - this one must have lost track of time
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Regelian

« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2009, 09:16:33 PM »
Gunilla,

lovely C. pitcheri.   I lost mine some years ago, but have a small C. crispum that hangs in there for me.  Such sweet blossoms.  Do you grow any other section Viorna clematis?

Is that a dark leaf Geranium in the background?  I saw one this summer in the USA and was fascinated by the colouring.  Does it bear seed?

The Euonymus is such a wonderful colour plant, don't you think?  I have a few different ones growing from seed I collected at the local Bot Gardens.  The colours are almost neon in the right moment.  Foliage is nice as well.  Thanks for sharing these.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2009, 09:34:21 PM »
Jamie, do you have Euonymus grandiflorus Red Wine ? I can collect seeds  on my one if you want.
regards

Hristo

« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2009, 05:55:31 AM »
Gunilla, love that Codonopsis!
Flowering indoors here, and photographed with my new birthday presie ( Cheers Mum and Dad xxx )
Chirita sp.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Gunilla

« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2009, 06:52:57 AM »
Gunilla,

lovely C. pitcheri.   I lost mine some years ago, but have a small C. crispum that hangs in there for me.  Such sweet blossoms.  Do you grow any other section Viorna clematis?

Is that a dark leaf Geranium in the background?  I saw one this summer in the USA and was fascinated by the colouring.  Does it bear seed?

Jamie,
I did have Clematis fusca but have not seen it this year so I have probably lost it.  Loved the woolly buds.

The Geranium is 'Purple Haze' from seed many years ago (Plant World Seeds).  It does bear seed but sorry to say I missed to collect them this year.  The seedlings vary in colour from very dark chocolate to dark green. I could find you a dark seedling if you want.
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »
Jamie, I have also Clematis viorna. Some seeds ?  ;)

Regelian

« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »
Gunilla, Nicole,

you two are just plain generous ;) ;D  Yeah, I would love some seed of C. viorna, the Euonymus selection and a small plant of the Germanium.  I realize I am getting into trouble, as this means more pots, but then, just what is this obsession about, if not more pots! :-X

Here are a few of the last bloomers, the last shot is of a Clematis cultivar whose name I have lost.  Very nice and reliable scrambler-type.  A hybrid, but I don't recall from what.

Hem. Screen Pattern
Hem. Hankow x SDL
unk Clematis hyb
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2009, 10:31:53 AM »
ok Jamie, I shall send them to you later, when they are ripe  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal