We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scottish Food and Flower Festival at Dundee- 4th to 6th September 2009  (Read 1899 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
156655-0

DUNDEE FLOWER & FOOD FESTIVAL
Friday 4 - Sunday 6 September 2009
Camperdown Country Park

"2009 is Homecoming year and the Dundee Flower & Food Festival, the premier event
of its kind in Scotland, brings you a taste of the best in food, horticulture and Scottish entertainment over 3 days. With truly stunning floral and garden displays, plus mouth-watering cookery demonstrations, an impressive craft fair, and an amazing programme of events including live music and children's activities, there's something for everyone!  This year's line up includes restaurateur and celebrity chef Nick Nairn, and gardening broadcaster Frieda Morrison. In the Floral Marquee, experience the spectacular colour and fragrance of the beautiful displays of top-class cut flowers along with wonderful examples of vegetables and floral art. At the Garden Fair there is an amazing variety of seeds, bulbs and quality plants for sale. In the Children's Marquee there will be events, activities and competitons to keep gardeners of all ages entertained.

A special addition to this year's Festival is the Fest'n'Furious Stage, showcasing some of the great acts associated with Dundee's festival of Roots and Traditional music. Fest'n'Furious proper kicks off on Friday 2 October.
A large number of trade stands in the Food Festival Marquee are offering tastings and selling high quality, local, regional and national produce. Look out for the great food and drink activities, including The Famous Grouse Whisky Bar and Iain Spink’s award-winning original smokies cooked fresh on site!

Please note that no dogs are allowed at the Festival except Guide Dogs."

The SRGC's own Bulb Despot, Ian Young will be there with various trough workshops and Q&A sessions, with Peter Timoney, orchid expert from Scone Palace, and Willie Duncan, another SRGC Member and a man who knows more about gardening than most of the rest of us put together! There will be other gardners from the Beechgrove Potting Shed radio programme as well as a recording of that programme on Friaday, for later broadcast.
Other highlights include the World Gladioli Championships..... now there's a thing! All the workshops given by the Gardeners will be free as witll all the various cookery demonstrations. Only the initial entrance fee to pay!

TICKETS ARE NOW ON SALE £2 discount* available on all tickets
if purchased before 3 September
DAY TICKETS AND 3-DAY TICKETS
ARE AVAILABLE

*Advance Tickets with discount - Day Ticket: £7 Adults; £6 Concessions; accompanied children under the age of 16 years are admitted FREE.
(Day tickets are valid on any single day).
Three-day Ticket: £14 Adults; £12 Concessions (3 days for the price of 2).
Buy your tickets online.... and see more details at:  http://www.dundeeflowerandfoodfestival.com:80/

or from Dundee City Box Office, 6 City Square, tel (01382) 434940.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:04:39 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Scottish Food and Flower Festival at Dundee- 4th to 6th September 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »
Sorry to say, a link on the Festival Website, offering a competition to win a pair of free weekend tickets to the event is not operational.  :'(    We have informed the organisers   :(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 08:10:18 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »
I'm doing my bit here in Devon, I have Mackays marmalade on my toast every morning ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
I'm doing my bit here in Devon, I have Mackays marmalade on my toast every morning ;D

David, I thought Keiller's was the marmalade of all marmalades from Dundee in those iconic jars?  Alexander Keiller, son and heir, discovered the stones at Avebury and excavated and restored the site!  We lived close by many moons ago!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Keiller
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:26:09 PM »
Our branch of Tesco doesn't sell Keiller's marmalade Robin but Mackays is just as good.

Interesting article you posted about Keiller's involvement in archaeological work at Avebury. I visited the Site last weekend for the first time and found it fascinating (without camera-again!!). I was heard to say how fascinating I found prehistoric monuments, Mrs N responded "So do I"!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:40:17 AM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:32:42 PM »
Glad you enjoyed Avebury David, I think it has a wonderful atmosphere and personally have so many happy memories of egg rolling at Easter in the ditches and hugging the stones whilst the sheep wander around - the feeling of freedom to enjoy this historic site in your own way is unique and I hope it remains that way for many years to come. 
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal