We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South American bulbous plants 2009  (Read 22727 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: South American bulbous plants 2009
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 04:44:59 AM »
You mean salviating Anthony. :) No, I remembered, I meant Salvia azurea.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 02:01:12 AM »
I was given some "mixed Leucocoryne (?)hybrids" some years ago and it appears that they are in fact:
Leucocoryne purpurea
174838-0

174840-1

And possibly L. ixioides
174836-2

Another grown from seed as L. vittata appears to be a hybrid!
174842-3

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 06:55:47 AM »
Fermi,
Mixed or not - they are outstanding!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 09:11:12 AM »
I was given some "mixed Leucocoryne (?)hybrids" some years ago and it appears that they are in fact:
Leucocoryne purpurea

cheers
fermi
Fermi, I saw the first picture somewhere before(don't remember where?) but it intrigued me, if you leave the Leucocoryne all year in the garden, or do you take them out every year?
Here we have to take them out every year, but they need special treatment, otherwise they don't flower.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 11:26:29 AM »
Fermi,

Lovely!  Do you have the true vittata?  If not, I should be able to spare you a bulb.  Mine are in flower at the moment (they flower every year, unlike the majority of the rest of them that I have).  A pic is on my camera, but not on the computer yet.  I also have a purpurea flowering, from the "mixed hybrid" bulbs that were offered by a couple of the mail order companies a few years ago. 

Luit,

If you don't mind me answering that as well...... I get them repotted every few years and they always do better when I do, but I rarely get around to it.  They stay outside in their pots year around, no treatment necessary.  They do like a bit more food than I give them (which I assume is why they like the repot), but some like vittata flower more freely anyway.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gerdk

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 01:49:04 PM »
Fermi, I saw the first picture somewhere before(don't remember where?) but it intrigued me, if you leave the Leucocoryne all year in the garden, or do you take them out every year?
Here we have to take them out every year, but they need special treatment, otherwise they don't flower.

Luit, please let me (us) know what kind of special treatment do the Leucocorynes need? I never saw a flower from my few bulbs.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Roma

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »
Beautiful Leucocoryne, Fermi.  I have one grown from F&W seed as Leucocoryne ? coquimbensis.  It grew quite well in the greenhouse at work, growing in the winter and flowering in Spring.  Since I retired it has been a bit more erratic with my lower winter temperatures.  It did not flower this year but last year did well and has good shoots on it now.  Ferraria crispa has behaved in a similar way.  It had the foliage frosted the first year I had it at home,  got too drawn with lack of light in the house the following year, but grew and flowered well in the greenhouse the next year.  Last winter was colder so it produced a few leaves then died down.  I was going to repot it yesterday but just scraped off and replaced the soil above the bulbs which are starting to grow.  It seems to increase well below ground even if there is not much growth above.

The following pictures were taken in May 2008
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »
Luit, please let me (us) know what kind of special treatment do the Leucocorynes need? I never saw a flower from my few bulbs.
Gerd
Gerd, I don't know much about the treatment, but as Leucocoryne comes from Chile and grow in areas where it is dry and warm for a long time, I presume that keeping the bulbs at 23 C. until planting in spring (end of March) might be a possibility. (25 C. is another possibility??)
I know of Babiana kept with 25 C did not flower, but 20 - 22 C. was perfect.
Most people think of S. Africa is very hot and dry, but plants under shrubs grow a bit cooler.
At least don't keep them cold! I am no expert on this, but reading Roma's writing about not flowering this year, it might be a reason for not flowering?
I would keep them at least at living room temp.
The bulbs need warmth to induce flowering.
Here is a link about S. American geophytes, where you might learn some more.
http://www.seedconsortium.org/PUC/pdf%20files/32-Flowering%20geophytes%20of%20Chile%20have%20ornamental...pdf
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 08:07:03 AM »
Leucocorynes are such underrated plants. I flowered a few from seed for the first time this year and was completely blown away by them! As a bonus the flowers are sweet-scented and very long lasting.

However, I do not find them very easy from seed and seedling mortallity is quite high, and it takes quite a number of years to reach flowering size, 4 - 5 years in my experience.

This species, L. vitata, has been displayed in various threads recently, but I have to show it one more time   ::)  My plants were much earlier than those of PaulT and Fermi - flowering nearly a month or so ago - can you spot the imposter?
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Ray

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 08:10:42 AM »
HI Rogan, nice spider bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »
It is Ray, just think, I had my nose in that flower just before I took the picture - I didn't see the spider until I viewed my pictures on the computer some time after! :o

One more species that flowered fantastically this season - L. coquimbensis (...I think?):
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Gerdk

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
Luit,
Thank you for your helpful advice - will try a warmer place in winter!

Leucocorynes are such underrated plants. I flowered a few from seed for the first time this year and was completely blown away by them! As a bonus the flowers are
Rogan - Nothing to add - love these Anden beauties also!

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »
Those Leucocoryne are sooooo beatiful :o :o
Congratulations for all those flowers :)
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Roma

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »
Interesting to note, Rogan, my Leucocoryne ?coquimbensis looks more like your vittata.  As mine came with a question mark does anyone know which is the correct name?
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »
a bit unusual for this time of the year :

Ipheion recurvifolium ( earlier I.sessile )

the nomenclatur is a bit difficould ....in Kew is it now listet as Tristagma recurvifolium  ???
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal